Anybody paint their wheels?

johncmd

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Has anybody painted their wheels yet? Any tips? Just bought a set of matte Pintlers and wanted to get them silver like they used to make for the JK.
Something similar to this

[ATT

upload_2020-4-2_17-10-53.jpeg

View attachment 300769

View attachment 300770

upload_2020-4-2_17-9-40.jpeg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Plastic Dip the wheels so if you don't like it or get tired of it you can easily remove it.

Watch this I use 3x5 index cards pushed in between the tire and wheel, it was easier than trying to tape them off.. I also used the tire shine so any over spray I got on the tires were easy to remove.

Reactions: apb

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
Powder-coat them for durability. Also you’ll get a better finish

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
If you want them to last and those are nice aev wheels.

id pay to get them powder coated so it lasts. Rattle can never works out imo

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
What color is your JL? That silver is ok, but a nice gunmetal finish really looks awesome on certain body colors.
And x2 on the powdercoating, will look great & very durable for years down the road.

Sponsored

OP
OP
johncmd

johncmd

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
What color is your JL? That silver is ok, but a nice gunmetal finish really looks awesome on certain body colors.
And x2 on the powdercoating, will look great & very durable for years down the road.
I’ve seen a lot from AEV in their forum and on their website advising against powder coating for their wheels?

mines billet. Similar to that JK above

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’ve seen a lot from AEV in their forum and on their website advising against powder coating for their wheels?

mines billet. Similar to that JK above
Might contact the company and ask why powdercoating isn't recommended, maybe the metal alloy they use is a problem or they just don't recommend something that is out of their control perhaps. Might even talk w/ a powdercoat shop, show them your wheels and see what they say.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Has anybody painted their wheels yet? Any tips? Just bought a set of matte Pintlers and wanted to get them silver like they used to make for the JK.
Something similar to this

[ATT

upload_2020-4-2_17-10-53.jpeg

View attachment 300769

View attachment 300770

upload_2020-4-2_17-9-40.jpeg
If you want to do it right have them powder coated, it's the toughest and most durable of the three options...
Paint yourself with a can.
Plastidip - Also known as redneck powder coating.
Powder coating.

IMO plastidip is crap, I can tell you first hand then when it starts to go it goes to pot fast. My beadlocks are plastidipped and once they get scuffed/tore/ripped it turns ghetto real quick.
Why AEV recommends you don't powder coat is beyond me, they probably say the same things about can painting and plastidip too.

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
When I looked into powder coating stock Sahara Rims last year, I came across a few articles that said not all wheels are suitable for powder coating, this may be what AEV recommends not to.

Anyway, I did a quick Google and trend up this:
(https://www.prismaticpowders.com/learn/26/can-aluminum-wheels-be-powder-coated)

A question that is often asked is, "Can an aluminum wheel be powder coated?". The simple answer is Yes. Countless wheels have been powder coated and driven on without issue.

However, whether or not an aluminum wheel should be powder coated has been the topic of some internet debate. No doubt the subject is full of rumor and conjecture, sparked by a relative few wheel failures subsequent to having been powder coated. Here we will attempt to make your decision a little easier by bringing some facts to the conversation.

While some manufacturers will void the warranty of a wheel if they are powder coated, countless OEM and aftermarket wheel manufacturers already choose powder coating for their preferred finish. The list of which includes some very high end and prestigious names (unfortunately for legal purposes; we can not name-names).

The debate seems to stem from the possibility of wheel failure after going through the powder coating process, and whether or not the heat required to cure the powder coating is enough to damage or weaken the structural integrity of the wheel. Usually the debate is focused directly on aluminum, not steel because aluminum anneals or "softens" at a much lower temperature.
  • Aluminum anneals at around 650°F
  • Steel anneals at a much higher temperature (1300°F)

Standard powder coatings cure at temperatures that range from 350°F-400°F. The time spent at these temps (Part Metal Temp) averages about 10-20 minutes. This is far below the 650°F needed for the aluminum to soften.

In fact, there are aspects of part preparation such as the blasting process, which may be more of a hazard to aluminum than the curing process. Depending on what kind of media is used, the blasting process may result in a degradation of the substrate.

OEM manufacturers must consider these aspects, and issue such warnings against modifying their products (including the finish) to protect themselves from liability and litigation.

You too must consider the facts and possible risks to decide for yourself whether powder coating wheels is something you want done, but always consult a reputable powder coating shop when having your work done.

While this is not a final say on the matter, it may help shed some light onto why some manufacturers say not to powder coat. IMO the last paragraph is the key, it's your choice, and find someone reputable!

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nice job John, looks great on that JL. Did you DIY or have a shop spray them?

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase