Sponsored

Anybody in Europe/UK pursued this? (TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel"))

jr-323i

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL 3door
if it’s not on the TSB they won’t do it, seem to be deliberately awkward / unhelpful :mad:
My dealer said its a must when replacing a steering box, it makes perfect common sense that the geometry of the car is "aligned" with the new box. Your dealer sound like a bunch of muppets.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Howi

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
HI Howi,

Is yours fixed now ?
It went in on Monday, was due for pickup today.

Got a call yesterday saying the Lead tech guy working on it managed to get his hand caught in another vehicles wheel so will be delayed, hopefully next week!

jr-323i

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL 3door
It went in on Monday, was due for pickup today.

Got a call yesterday saying the Lead tech guy working on it managed to get his hand caught in another vehicles wheel so will be delayed, hopefully next week!
Youch! Poor technician, fingers crossed(no pun intended)_ you get it back soon.

adbs

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4dr JL
Any updates from those who have managed to get this done?

I have mine booked in on 20/04 for assessment but I have a 2.5" lift and 35's so not sure what reception I will get but I did start by raising an incident with Jeep Cares who told me to get it booked in and then let them know about the booking date.

I think the latest TSB is TSB O8-003-21

Attachments

Sponsored

OP
OP
Howi

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
got mine back yesterday, its defiantly improved but the one trip back was very windy so need a few more to check.

regarding mods, the TSB is fine if mods are within certain parameters, mine has different shocks/wheels and no problem.

I would just fire a mail and check though just in case!

OP
OP
Howi

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
ok so done a 400mile round trip and it is driving as well as a big wobbly square can which to be fair is head and shoulders above where it was last week.

feel pissed off though because after over two years of ownership I have lost faith in this brand and feel cheated of my Wrangler experience especially as I bought from new with my hard earned.

I guess nobody from Jeep/FCA Jeep cares will give a flying fuck though!

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
I am going to follow-up with my dealer in South Africa (Part of EMEA region).

will update progress here.

I had a look at my steering box. There are some pipes obscuring the part number but I can confirm it ends with AC

Jeep Wrangler JL Anybody in Europe/UK pursued this? (TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel")) D200A7A3-7FF1-42E5-8553-0A721C08BDA0

Last edited:

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
@ Howi. I know how you feel about losing faith in the brand.

I've given up trying to get the ESS sorted on mine. Every time it goes into the dealers they tell me it's because I don't drive it enough, or the systems are drawing too much power, or, or ............
Fact is, it's a crap design and needs the software changing. I've owned and driven many vehicles with ESS, including a number of loan cars from the two Jeep dealers and they all seem to stop/start faultlessly within the 1st few miles of the journey.

In addition I've had an exhaust sensor failure, a failed heated rear screen and the wrong parking sensor module fitted when it was built which meant the front sensors would never work.

Whilst not ideal, all of these faults wouldn't have been too bad if they could have been diagnosed and rectified quickly. The rear screen took close to 3 months to get a replacement and the parking sensors took over 5 visits to dealerships.

I even had a wasted journey for the 1st service because it turned out they didn't have an oil filter, FFS.

The inconvenience is one thing, but my concern is the potential long term cost once out of warranty. I bought the Wrangler as a keeper, but now I am having second thoughts. It's a real shame because I really like the car.

Trouble is, what would I replace it with and would that be any more reliable? Perhaps an imported 72 series Landcruiser?

OP
OP
Howi

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
@ Howi. I know how you feel about losing faith in the brand.

I've given up trying to get the ESS sorted on mine. Every time it goes into the dealers they tell me it's because I don't drive it enough, or the systems are drawing too much power, or, or ............
Fact is, it's a crap design and needs the software changing. I've owned and driven many vehicles with ESS, including a number of loan cars from the two Jeep dealers and they all seem to stop/start faultlessly within the 1st few miles of the journey.

In addition I've had an exhaust sensor failure, a failed heated rear screen and the wrong parking sensor module fitted when it was built which meant the front sensors would never work.

Whilst not ideal, all of these faults wouldn't have been too bad if they could have been diagnosed and rectified quickly. The rear screen took close to 3 months to get a replacement and the parking sensors took over 5 visits to dealerships.

I even had a wasted journey for the 1st service because it turned out they didn't have an oil filter, FFS.

The inconvenience is one thing, but my concern is the potential long term cost once out of warranty. I bought the Wrangler as a keeper, but now I am having second thoughts. It's a real shame because I really like the car.

Trouble is, what would I replace it with and would that be any more reliable? Perhaps an imported 72 series Landcruiser?
exactly

my list other than the steering was;

ESS - new battery fitted
roof leak - another new seal
Alarm going off - new sensors fitted
Radio high pitch sound - firmware update

I have been lucky to have a lot of new cars and haven’t ever had such a Lemon, even owned Lotus lol

mine was a keeper but looking at new defender at the moment

Sponsored

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
Oh yes, I forgot about the alarm. I've had that problem as well. Two different sets of sensors and it still goes off for no apparent reason every now and then within a few minutes of locking.

New Defender is tempting, but quite expensive to get one with a reasonable trim level and I'm not convinced about Land Rover reliability either :(

jr-323i

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL 3door
Oh yes, I forgot about the alarm. I've had that problem as well. Two different sets of sensors and it still goes off for no apparent reason every now and then within a few minutes of locking.

New Defender is tempting, but quite expensive to get one with a reasonable trim level and I'm not convinced about Land Rover reliability either :(
The V8 model I hope? :devil:

jr-323i

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL 3door
Hi Guys

Having had the sterring box replaced with the steel unit April 2021, I noticed the dead zone slack has slowly returned.

There is an adjuster screw on the sterring box, a few vids on youtube explain how to tighten the slack in the box. Apparently the screw is glued from facyory and should not be tightened?

I am wondering if the dealer would do this....

OP
OP
Howi

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
Seems like an easy DIY? Go for it?

mine is still ok

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2020 2.2 Diesel Punk'n RHD
Looks simple, but a bit messy explanation - I didn't understand if he was holding the 15 mm wrench in place while rotating 5/32 hex - on the video it looks like he turned both...
But anyway - thanks for the link, this might help a lot of people with undefined steering issues.
Sponsored