Anybody flat towing their JL with 37" tires

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
The OP did not designate what motor home he wished to toad with only that he wished to see what others are doing. I guess we should assume his is the same as yours?

Capacities for Toading vs Towing are different. I have toaded Jeeps and other vehicles for 10's of thousands of miles behind various motor homes I have owned without incident.

Yes my motor home is rated at a towing capacity of 15.000 even though I have no desire to approach that number when towing and certainly not when toading.

Probably not the right topic to discuss the off road merits of stock bumpers with a base plate vs aftermarket bumpers and no my bumper is not one listed in your post.
Post #10 the OP says he has a 45' pusher...

Both the Rock Hard and the LOD bumper have a higher profile than the Tow Plate, (I measured or had them measured by the manufacture), the Blue OX Base plate has equal to or better approach clearance than either bumper option, for the most part it was with in 1 inch or less. I do agree if you are a hard core climber none of the tow plates or towable bumpers should be used.
Sponsored

OP
OP

zjaw

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep rubacon
I have a 45 ft tiffin motor home. And is rated at 15,000 lbs towing. I use a blue ox Avail tow bar which is rated at 10,000 lbs. I reason for the questions is I have not tow a jeep with lift kit and 37" tire and didn't want the death wobble. I also have a 2017 jeep grand cherokee. I have had it wobble after crossing railroad tracks and had to come to a full stop to make it stop. Didn't know if the large tires and lift kit would cause it.

OP
OP

zjaw

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep rubacon
NIce rig. I had a
Freedom Elite loved it had no problems with it. Sometimes wish I had stayed with it.

loki805

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU Willys Wheeler W, 2017 Jeep Renegade , 1948 Willys CJ2, 2017 Ford Explorer, 2019 JLUR on order

Sponsored

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Can you post a photo of your Currie tow plate installed on your wife's JL?

If going to flat tow a Jeep JL or JK check out the tow bar plate from Currie Enterprise it’s awesome acts as a steel skid plate and looks great. I have one on a JK and just received the new one for my wife’s JL they make them for the stock plastic or steel bumpers. Here’s a link.

https://www.currieenterprises.com/ce-9033jls-jeep-jk-tow-bar-mounting-kit-steel-bumper

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
No problems here. We flat tow ours on 37's behind our Class A coach without any issues.
That you know of...jeep steering wheel must dance like crazy everytime you hit a bump or go over a bridge, especially while turning.

loki805

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU Willys Wheeler W, 2017 Jeep Renegade , 1948 Willys CJ2, 2017 Ford Explorer, 2019 JLUR on order
Can you post a photo of your Currie tow plate installed on your wife's JL?
I would love too. Unfortunately the Tow bar plate is in my garage and the the JL hasn’t made it to the dealer from the factory yet. I do have one on a JK for a couple of years and it is great. The new one looks like the same great quality.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I bought a nice aluminum trailer for my Jeep to ride on behind the motor home. I will put the wear and tear on trailer tires and leave the additional miles off my Jeep. I have a tow capacity of 8000 pounds with my motor home and know that I am close to the limit with the trailer and loaded Jeep. I am retired and not in a hurry. Before I head out west, I will add a temp gauge to the transmission and if my motor home struggles in the mountains as it is a V10 ford and it will, I will off load the Jeep and hook the trailer to the Jeep if necessary to make any big climbs or to go over a pass. Like I said, I am in no hurry.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I bought a nice aluminum trailer for my Jeep to ride on behind the motor home. I will put the wear and tear on trailer tires and leave the additional miles off my Jeep. I have a tow capacity of 8000 pounds with my motor home and know that I am close to the limit with the trailer and loaded Jeep. I am retired and not in a hurry. Before I head out west, I will add a temp gauge to the transmission and if my motor home struggles in the mountains as it is a V10 ford and it will, I will off load the Jeep and hook the trailer to the Jeep if necessary to make any big climbs or to go over a pass. Like I said, I am in no hurry.
I'm very comfortable with a trailer behind me. I only have a couple hundred miles of flat towing my brother's Jeep. But it seemed to tow well enough. I dunno for sure, but the cost of a trailer vs the wear on the Jeep flat towing.... probably a wash.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I was out shopping today for new Motor homes we are looking at trading in our current 2013. While looking I was seeing some coaches that were claiming 8000lb towing even more odd is that they were on 20000 lb chassis and 19" wheels with the 8K rating. My current RV has the 22K chassis and 22" wheels (which is the heaviest Ford Chassis for Gas) at 5K pounds towing.

The Dealer made it clear the 8000 rating is a marketing gimick as the 8K is part of the GVRW meaning that 8k is possible with little to no gear in the RV, so that 8K rated RV with Water, Fuel (any gray/black Septic and typical assesories/wares WILL likely NOT be able to tow 8K anymore, it is basically the same set up as the 5K however they are playing a numbers game for marketing purposes.

I had the 8000lb conversation with 3 dealers today and all said the same as I explained above.

If you are going to tow with a V10 Gasser you really should look at adding the Banks Power Stinger Exhaust (with programmer) as it adds about 70 more HP and more torque, not to mention 7% better mileage and should nearly cut in half your 0-60mph time (it is $1500 well spent)...

On a similar note I took my Sahara to the scale the other day am at 4900lbs, this is with 35's, Aluminum Bumper, Winch, Tow Plate, Go Rhino D-6 Sliders/boards and full fuel. Now make this a Rubicon with 37's and that is several hundred more lbs.
Sponsored

Last edited: