Sponsored

Anybody else hyped about the Uconnect-5 update this spring?

T_square

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
The 5” uconnect head unit is possibly the weakest link in my entire vehicle, but we’re right around the corner from “five times faster speeds”. Not sure if the update will even apply to me because I have the most basic unit, but I’m hoping so. The firmware OS is just so slow and unresponsive that I can hardly ever use my radio.

“The upcoming Uconnect 5 will support up to five driver profiles and allow for speeds up to five times faster than the outgoing Uconnect 4 system. However, this Uconnect won't debut till the 2021 Chrysler Pacifica does.” (KendallDodgeJeepChrysler)
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
UConnect 5 is an entirely new software platform. It's not an update to the current radio. Unfortunately, it probably will not be compatible with the current JL.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
To me the Uconnect5 release is not good news.. It means Uconnect4 will forgotten/unsupported and any hope for updates/enhancements is gone.

At least there are some good aftermarket headunit replacement options available.

OP
OP
T_square

T_square

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
@Spank

True, but maybe at least the 2022 and newer JLs will have the new system in them

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Spank

True, but maybe at least the 2022 and newer JLs will have the new system in them
Despite Jeep throwing multiple powertrains into the Wrangler now, I don't know if they're going to change the interior or CANBUS or whatever tweaks they'd need to implement to make UConnect 5 work. If it's just a new head unit, that'd be great, but I doubt it.

Knowing Jeep, we'll probably be stuck with the current radios until the following generation, just like the JK. The UConnect RA3 came out back in 2013, but Jeep kept putting the MyGig radios in the JK Wrangler for the rest of its run.

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
https://www.macrumors.com/review/2021-chrysler-pacifica-uconnect-5-wireless-carplay/

Here's a review of the uConnect 5 from a CarPlay perspective in the Pacifica. Looks great - there's no way this unit won't end up in the JL in the next couple model years. With all the crazy third party tall displays and stuff swappable into our JLs with full HVAC functionality and otherwise, I'm optimistic we'll even be able to swap these into our 2018-2021s at some point. It's in FCA/Stellantis' best interests to make this thing easy to implement for themselves across their existing model line without a ground up redesign - I'd argue we're in a new era of in-car tech than we were with the JK. It would be unimaginable in today's competitive landscape for the JL to run to 2028 with uconnect 4 as the best option.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I threw that 5 inch pos radio away and got this 10” android one https://amzn.to/3s7UiOd Got so sick and tired of it turning off on me and having everything reset every time I want to plug my phone in for longer than 1 minute

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
FYI I just received a call from MI in reference to my 8.4 radio system (2020 JLR). She stated there are 3 updates coming 2 are out and they are OTA. The third one will address the radio dropping off etc. The 2 that are oat is making its way from state to state and hasn’t gotten to me yet in Fl. Maybe that explains why some have received it and some not. They will address the alt,gps,lg and lat etc. The third one might have go to dealer. She wasn’t sure yet on it. So guys just thought I would pass this on. I’ve called and communicated with uconnect for a couple of days re our Jeep radio customer complaints. It was a positive conversation each time. 😎

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
FYI I just received a call from MI in reference to my 8.4 radio system (2020 JLR). She stated there are 3 updates coming 2 are out and they are OTA. The third one will address the radio dropping off etc. The 2 that are oat is making its way from state to state and hasn’t gotten to me yet in Fl. Maybe that explains why some have received it and some not. They will address the alt,gps,lg and lat etc. The third one might have go to dealer. She wasn’t sure yet on it. So guys just thought I would pass this on. I’ve called and communicated with uconnect for a couple of days re our Jeep radio customer complaints. It was a positive conversation each time. 😎
Nice - it does seem like they've been fixing issues with these. I used to get a volume bug where the volume would freeze up and all inputs would be silent until I went under the hood and pulled the fuses to hard reboot the unit. Since the last couple updates I haven't had that problem in months.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Despite Jeep throwing multiple powertrains into the Wrangler now, I don't know if they're going to change the interior or CANBUS or whatever tweaks they'd need to implement to make UConnect 5 work. If it's just a new head unit, that'd be great, but I doubt it.

Knowing Jeep, we'll probably be stuck with the current radios until the following generation, just like the JK. The UConnect RA3 came out back in 2013, but Jeep kept putting the MyGig radios in the JK Wrangler for the rest of its run.
While I’m not betting on it being available in 2022 models, I’m hopeful for two reasons.

Broncos have the updated head units and tech you’d expect to find in a 2022 vehicle. Jeep wants to keep dominating. They responded with the 392 so why not uConnect 5 on the tech side?

Second, I’m waiting m for 2022 builds to open for order and would love to have the new software and head unit on a long term purchase.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I’ve never had a single glitch with my 8.4 unit, not a one and I use almost all the features. It’s amazing how some can have so many issues and others not from the same unit and software.
Same here on my 8.4 in my 2021. Knock on wood.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While I’m not betting on it being available in 2022 models, I’m hopeful for two reasons.

Broncos have the updated head units and tech you’d expect to find in a 2022 vehicle. Jeep wants to keep dominating.
Ford head units in general haven't been anything to write home about. The Bronco may have a larger screen, but Ford Sync is still trash.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening. In fact, I see it being even less likely with the current chip shortage situation.

They responded with the 392 so why not uConnect 5 on the tech side?
That's a good point, but it's probably a lot easier to drop a 392 into the Wrangler than it is to develop new technology and software for it.
Sponsored