Sponsored

Anybody do Argentine Pass near Denver?

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
We were visiting relatives in Denver and wanted to do a trial. We didn't want to drive 2 hours out and 2 hours back so I checked the internet and found this trail less than an hour from Denver. The trail was rated "moderate", we were in my stock JLU Sport. Slightly above timberline we hit an obstacle that I couldn't bypass with the ground clearance I had. We might have been able to spend more time there stacking rocks or trying other lines but we went back down and back to the city. I've looked up youtube videos and found that vehicles with a little bit of lift have a better chance at it. I have a set of Rubicon takeoff tires, springs and shocks waiting for installation, might be enough to help on that trail.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Was it this?

Jeep Wrangler JL Anybody do Argentine Pass near Denver? Screenshot_20201018-230632

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's the one. What isn't seen in that photo is the similar big rock that is now under the front bumpter, with a big dip in front of it, that first rock being about 1 JLU wheelbase length in front of the rock in the photo. I didn't think I could roll over it because it was such a shear vertical so I tried going around it to the left, then I couldn't get far enough over to the right to do well iwth the second one.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking about doing that trail since it is typically marked as fairly easy. I am guessing a stock JLUR with 33's could manage to get around it.

Was there a drop off on the left side of that rock mass?

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The rock in the photo you can't completely go around the left side because of the dropoff going down the hill. If you don't mind a little off camber you could run one tire to the left of the rock and one tire over it.

The added clearance under a Rubicon might make enough difference, plus if you have a good spotter and get the right line on it. I didn't have either one.

Last edited:

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
A year ago in September, my wife and I drove the Argentine Pass with my son-in-law's parents. It was spectacular. I didn't have any problems with it. We were planning another trip out there and on to Moab this year but COVID put a stop to that. Maybe next year.
Sponsored