Sponsored

Any word on upcoming 2020 Special Edition Details?

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Problem is, I feel you could get a Rubicon, remove the original stickers, slap on willy stickers and not too many people catch on.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Rubi suspension is worth about $100-$150 these-days, and they're almost always the first components people swap out off the lot. So they are worth literally nothing. Rubi rock rails can be found for about $50-100 here. So also worth nothing. Sport S can get LSD anyways, so that isn't anything special.

So basically, Willy is just a Sport S with LED headlights, which to be honest, isn't anything special either, I swapped out my headlights with aftermarket for 1/3 the price. There really isn't anything on the Willy's that you couldn't get with some pocket change and a Sunday afternoon.
The Willys is about $2,500 more than the Sport S. It has upgraded brakes, rails, LED headlights, LSD, wheels, and tires.

Those things are worth:

Upgraded Wheels/Tires - $995
LED Headlights - $695
LSD - $595

That's $2285. So if you were going to check all those boxes anyway then you are getting brakes, rails, grill, and stickers for $215. So it is actually a good deal if it is what you want.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
The Willys is about $2,500 more than the Sport S. It has upgraded brakes, rails, LED headlights, LSD, wheels, and tires.

Those things are worth:

Upgraded Wheels/Tires - $995
LED Headlights - $695
LSD - $595

That's $2285. So if you were going to check all those boxes anyway then you are getting brakes, rails, grill, and stickers for $215. So it is actually a good deal if it is what you want.
True.
The thing is though, is upgraded wheels and tires actually worth $1000? That’s one of the first things people swap out as they drive off the lot.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
True.
The thing is though, is upgraded wheels and tires actually worth $1000? That’s one of the first things people swap out as they drive off the lot.
Again - it depends what you want. I paid for the upgraded granite Sport S wheels. I run 33s and i like them better than other options. Rubi takeoffs are a better deal but anything else you are going to pay that much for wheels.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Again - it depends what you want. I paid for the upgraded granite Sport S wheels. I run 33s and i like them better than other options. Rubi takeoffs are a better deal but anything else you are going to pay that much for wheels.
Those wheels are quite unique, and worth the upgrade. The Willys has the MOAB wheels, right? I suppose someone might think that’s worth it, but I wouldn’t.

jack0351

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2013 Ram 3500, 2000 HD FXST,
Eh, I thought it was worth the extra money. Admittedly, I was planning to get most of the upgrades anyway, so it wasn't much of a jump for me. I wanted black wheels, and black emblems (or at least not chrome), so that saved me a little time and money. I also figured that the Willys was a good compromise between the "routine" Sport S, and the Rubicon, and I'd be one of the few that got the Willys instead of one of the others.

Of course, most importantly, I was able to justify it to my wife- she wouldn't sign off on a Rubi since I'm probably not ever going to be wheeling hard enough to justify it.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Let me put it this way - If I was going to run 35s on a Sport S with the stock wheels I would get the Willys, if only for the bigger brakes.

ricku

Threads
Reaction score
I also am not seeing it anywhere on the order sheet but Jeep has said multiple times that the Willys has Rubicon shocks, not the full Rubi suspension. I believe these are the springs chip is referring to.
Rubicon shocks are red.
My JK Willys had red shocks. That might be one way to verify the JL Willys type of shocks.

Sponsored

relayer4u

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I can verify as a new owner that the JL Willys has red Rubicon shocks. An interior item that wasn't mentioned anywhere; Willys includes the blacked out steering wheel from the Altitude; black stitching and black trim. Much better looking to me than the stock Sport S steering wheel.

jack0351

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2013 Ram 3500, 2000 HD FXST,
I can verify as a new owner that the JL Willys has red Rubicon shocks. An interior item that wasn't mentioned anywhere; Willys includes the blacked out steering wheel from the Altitude; black stitching and black trim. Much better looking to me than the stock Sport S steering wheel.
And now you have me even more excited about my Willys coming....

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Could you show a pix of this blacked out steering wheel ? Sounds good, thanks

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
To add a bit to this, because it annoys the piss out of me: yes, you can buy aftermarket items cheaper. You also have a good chance at getting cheaper quality. Sometimes having a manufacturer made part, installed under warranty, is the smarter play. If the logic was “I can buy it cheaper online” for everything- the Sport S would be the only vehicle anyone should buy. Rubicons would be a questionable purchase. But it’s easy to point at single items that are easier to install and have that as the representative argument.

The willys is a fun little package and you’ll enjoy it. There’s also a resale bump in there, so another bonus. And yes, it may not cater to all the mathematics of self build, but neither does a JL anyway. If you were an accounting guru, you’d be driving a JK or older, as those parts are cheaper. Be you, man.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
To add a bit to this, because it annoys the piss out of me: yes, you can buy aftermarket items cheaper. You also have a good chance at getting cheaper quality. Sometimes having a manufacturer made part, installed under warranty, is the smarter play. If the logic was “I can buy it cheaper online” for everything- the Sport S would be the only vehicle anyone should buy. Rubicons would be a questionable purchase. But it’s easy to point at single items that are easier to install and have that as the representative argument.

The willys is a fun little package and you’ll enjoy it. There’s also a resale bump in there, so another bonus. And yes, it may not cater to all the mathematics of self build, but neither does a JL anyway. If you were an accounting guru, you’d be driving a JK or older, as those parts are cheaper. Be you, man.
DM23pVhVwAATM4V.jpg
Sponsored