Sponsored

Any way to update the 8.4" UConnect if you upgraded it yourself?

Ricapar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport, 2009 BMW 328i Convertible
I have a 2019 Sport S that originally came with the 7" UConnect and the upgraded stereo.

I purchased and installed the 8.4" UConnect for the bigger screen and a few additional features. However, it doesn't have Off-Road Pages and has a few glitches with the backup cam. From what I'm reading, that should all be solvable with a software update.

The problem is that the official site makes you put in your VIN, which is of course going to say there's no updates because it thinks you have the stock equipment.

Has anyone been able to manually load an update to this?
Sponsored

exilepa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
I have a 2019 Sport S that originally came with the 7" UConnect and the upgraded stereo.

I purchased and installed the 8.4" UConnect for the bigger screen and a few additional features. However, it doesn't have Off-Road Pages and has a few glitches with the backup cam. From what I'm reading, that should all be solvable with a software update.

The problem is that the official site makes you put in your VIN, which is of course going to say there's no updates because it thinks you have the stock equipment.

Has anyone been able to manually load an update to this?
Go find a 2019 on a dealer lot that has the 8.4 and put that VIN in to the website to get the update?

I have a file that I grabbed last week for mine but haven't had a chance to try to update yet. It's an almost 10GB file though.

OP
OP

Ricapar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go find a 2019 on a dealer lot that has the 8.4 and put that VIN in to the website to get the update?

I have a file that I grabbed last week for mine but haven't had a chance to try to update yet. It's an almost 10GB file though.
I've thought about that.. not sure if the updates are attached to a specific VIN or if they are generic or not.

If you wanna PM me your VIN I'll give it a shot though ;)

Edit: I did go through a few dealer's sites, trying VINs from their inventory - seems like everything on the lot is already up-to-date, so it's just telling me everything is up-to-date.

Last edited:

exilepa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
I've thought about that.. not sure if the updates are attached to a specific VIN or if they are generic or not.

If you wanna PM me your VIN I'll give it a shot though ;)

Edit: I did go through a few dealer's sites, trying VINs from their inventory - seems like everything on the lot is already up-to-date, so it's just telling me everything is up-to-date.
It is generic, you just have to find one that is older so it shows it needs the update. Mine only came with a 7" so I had to search a little to find one that needed the update. Haven't had a chance to try and apply the update to my upgraded 8.4 yet though. I went through cars.com and searched for a 2018 Sahara and found on the had the 8.4 and used that VIN to get the update downloaded. It took a few VINs but I finally found one.

exilepa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
If anyone has Google Drive space they'd be willing to host the 10GB file on, I'll upload it. Mine is full or I would host!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ricapar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alright, so I tried to update my unit - and it says it's already at the latest version (21.10).

To anyone who's upgraded before.. is there a newer version? What's the update that introduced Off-Road Pages and fixed the backup camera glitches?

1DmPs7Lz8A-5ycqoIq-fUmpvtMxkM3PZRmLIQuVMCy9iRHJ_PowvsL6Jpvwh-eQ_xmcTZV_4xipZApO8fZ=w980-h1305-no.jpg

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Try disconnecting the battery both plus and minus for 30 minutes then see if acts as a reboot and recognizes the 8.4.

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I just checked and I have the file upgrade on my computer. When I went to update my 8.4 it told me I was on the latest version. The file name was UCONNECT_8.4_IR21.10_MY18JL_VP4R_USA . Check to see if that is the name of your file upgrade. If it is then you are on the current version also.

OP
OP

Ricapar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After I hooked up the 8.4" I did a full reboot via the TazerJL I have.

It seems to be staying pretty firm that the version it's at is the latest; and indeed the file name above (21.10) is what it says it is running.

What I'm curious is if that is the case, then where's the additional Off-Road Pages app? And I believe there was also a fix for the gltichy backup camera screen, which I'm still getting.

If someone who has a fully updated unit with Off-Road Pages on it.. can you pull up what version number your thing says it's running?

Sponsored

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I have Off Road pages and my backup camera does not glitch out. I am on the most current version. The only issue I have had is the constant backup beep tone till I pulled fuse f97. You could call the dealer and ask them why you don't have off road pages. You could also try a hard reset on the radio and see if that fixes anything.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I think to get the off road pages you need the cellular connection so it can verify it. I bought a 8.4 as well and my radio was built in May 2019 and there are no software updates and I don't have off road pages either

OP
OP

Ricapar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think to get the off road pages you need the cellular connection so it can verify it. I bought a 8.4 as well and my radio was built in May 2019 and there are no software updates and I don't have off road pages either
Hmm, if that's the case, that may be too bad :(

Don't get me wrong, I love the larger screen.. but that would've been a very nice bonus feature. Getting the cell service working on the unit is almost certainly not worth the effort at that point though.

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
After I hooked up the 8.4" I did a full reboot via the TazerJL I have.

It seems to be staying pretty firm that the version it's at is the latest; and indeed the file name above (21.10) is what it says it is running.

What I'm curious is if that is the case, then where's the additional Off-Road Pages app? And I believe there was also a fix for the gltichy backup camera screen, which I'm still getting.

If someone who has a fully updated unit with Off-Road Pages on it.. can you pull up what version number your thing says it's running?
Good luck, only works with 21.10 for vehicles ORIGINALLY Equipped with it. And I sit. Suggest searching random vins for updates, you’re gunna regret that when it starts screwing things up that aren’t in your build code.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I have a question related to this thread: why can't you upgrade the 8.4" if it didn't come originally in your Jeep? I mean, it's an OEM radio for Pete's sake. Can't a dealer just put it in your build for you?
Sponsored