Any way to turn USB off with key?

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I just installed an Android Auto Wireless device, which works amazing. However, my jeep seems to be keeping it powered on causing a fight for my phones wifi connection.

I've read there is an hour long timer.
Sponsored

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I'm thinking I'll need some kind of a way to tap the fuse pins. Is there a product that does this?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Haven’t noticed any issues, ours is plugged in in the console.

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
My phone was just bouncing back and forth between AAWirelss and my home AP. It stopped after an hour. I have terrible cell signal so it kept knocking me offline.

I messaged Emil. Perhaps the firmware could detect if the HU is off and power off the WiFi.

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Haven’t noticed any issues, ours is plugged in in the console.
They said to enable the auto stop/start feature to fix the issue caused by the USB port staying powered on.

What DPI setting are you using? I found <=132 was the trigger point for split screen.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
They said to enable the auto stop/start feature to fix the issue caused by the USB port staying powered on.

What DPI setting are you using? I found <=132 was the trigger point for split screen.
To clarify we're using a similiar CarPlay device, Carlinkit 2.0 and haven't had to modify anything.

My comment was meant to say that connecting in the console may cause enough degradation in the WiFi signal to eliminate the issue.

Sounds like the Auto Start/Stop may be the ticket. Ours shuts off with the head unit rather than power.

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
The setting fixed it. I think Wireless CarPlay and AA work very differently. That's the reason there are no commercially available AA dongles yet.

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
What auto stop/start setting? I noticed that if I plug my hard drive I. And the jeep is off, the lights on the hard drive still blink. U connect is accessing the drive even when the jeep is not powered on.

switz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK; 2018 Rubicon JL; 392 on order

I just received an Ottocast unit and the Bluetooth power on this is crazy. In my house, going through numerous walls and about 35 feet, it stays connected to my phone, dropping me off of my WIFI and staying connected to the Ottocast. Can you please answer a few questions:
1) Where is this "auto stop/start feature" that you are referring to?
2) What are you referring to when you speak about a "DPI" setting?

The Ottocast stays on in either USB port on a 2021 392.

Thanks in advance.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
So the USB ports stay powered for an hour after shutting down the vehicle?

Guess I can see a few use cases that would benefit from that behavior (charging a phone), but think it would make more sense to kill USB power after the doors are locked, or perhaps only after a double-tap (beep) on the remote to lock. Really seems like something that should have an option in the stereo or dash menu.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
So the USB ports stay powered for an hour after shutting down the vehicle?

Guess I can see a few use cases that would benefit from that behavior (charging a phone), but think it would make more sense to kill USB power after the doors are locked, or perhaps only after a double-tap (beep) on the remote to lock. Really seems like something that should have an option in the stereo or dash menu.
@AFD
@switz

I reached our to Joe @ ZAutomotive tonight, to see if he could have a Tazer JL Mini feature that would turn off all USB ports with ignition off..

Possibly he can do this. Not sure if you have a Tazer JL Mini but figured I would mention this to you.

Reactions: AFD

switz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK; 2018 Rubicon JL; 392 on order
@AFD
@switz

I reached our to Joe @ ZAutomotive tonight, to see if he could have a Tazer JL Mini feature that would turn off all USB ports with ignition off..

Possibly he can do this. Not sure if you have a Tazer JL Mini but figured I would mention this to you.
I do have a Tazer and looked at its list of items and didn't see it on the list. Please let us know what you find out.One would think if it is timed there would be a way to control it.
Thanks! All the best.

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
Here's a software solution: both Android and Apple phones have a bunch of free automation apps like IFTTT, Bixby Routines, etc. These apps are graphical and you don't need to be a coder to use them. What you can easily do with any of them is to create a routine that automatically disconnects from your Jeep and connects to your home WiFi based on stuff like geolocation or the detection of your home network.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I do have a Tazer and looked at its list of items and didn't see it on the list. Please let us know what you find out.One would think if it is timed there would be a way to control it.
Thanks! All the best.
@switz
@AFD

Joe got back to me this morning... Said this was on his list of proposed new features.... and that he will be working on the list the next chance he gets .