Any way to disable auto park?

m25443

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RAM Power Wagon
Have any of you looked at AlfaOBD to change the autopark settings? This will allow you to turn it off. You just need to determine which variable(s) need to be changed.

A combination of AlfaOBD ($49 from FCA) and OpenLink MX+ ($79 on Amazon) and an Android device that has wifi capability to run AlfaOBD on.

You can turn on/off any features for the FCA vehicles that the dealership can control.

I'm not sure where the best Jeep forum for AlfaOBD may be, but there are over 700 hundred pages on AlfaOBD on the Ram Forum at https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

m25443

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RAM Power Wagon
A quick scan and it looks like the setting to disable auto park is in the section called "Vehicle Config 3:"
The setting that needs to be changed is "Auto Park Present: Not set"

Maybe someone can try it and let us know if it works.....

These is also additional settings in the section called Vehicle config 5:
"Semi-Automatic Parking System Present: Not set"
"Park With Stop Present: Not set"

And in Vehicle Config Customer Settings Menu 1:
Auto park customer settings menu: Not set

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Sell the Jeep, find a vehicle with no safety features.

Sponsored

Xpack109

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
A quick scan and it looks like the setting to disable auto park is in the section called "Vehicle Config 3:"

I’m curious as to how you connected to your Jeep with alphaobd I have two jls and have not been able to connect to either I have updated my software but the option for our bcm is not present

Xpack109

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

Any update on how you connected to your jl?

bcampion

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-2020
Auto park is for stupid people, if you know how to drive a car you know to put it in park when you stop, or for a manual transmission you engage the manual brake. Intelligent people do not need software controlled vehicles to decide how to drive. If you get out of the car and leave the transmission in drive or reverse and then get run over, then that is unfortunate , but it is natural selection . Sorry, but if you are dependent on software to prevent your driving mistakes YOU SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING a vehicle.

How quickly people forget.
There have been plenty of cases where people have stopped, got out of their cars, went to open a gate or garage door and then been run over by their vehicle - because, they did not put it in park. It happens - enough that they have implemented this.

I think the last "famous" accident was Anton Yelchin, Chekov in the recent Star Trek movies.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Auto park is for stupid people, if you know how to drive a car you know to put it in park when you stop, or for a manual transmission you engage the manual brake. Intelligent people do not need software controlled vehicles to decide how to drive. If you get out of the car and leave the transmission in drive or reverse and then get run over, then that is unfortunate , but it is natural selection . Sorry, but if you are dependent on software to prevent your driving mistakes YOU SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING a vehicle.
Problem is, the courts and juries will reward the Darwin award candidates with huge settlements to "compensate" them for the results of their stupidity. This puts economic pressure on corporations to try and idiot proof ( never works, idiots are far more creative at coming up with new ways to put themselves and others in harms way than any engineer is at coming up with ways to thwart them) their products or, our nanny government will rush in to protect us from ourselves. Either way, all of us pay the price.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Truly, I just don't understand the need for auto park on a Jeep Wrangler.
In 2011 when Chrysler started using the 8 speed ZF, they paired it with a really stupid shift lever that would 'simulate' shifting and then pop back to the upright position. The simulating involved a fairly complicated mechanism that would click as you pulled it down from park to drive, and up from drive to park. But it wasn't perfect - if you held the button just right you could easily be fooled into thinking you shifted into park, when you really shifted into neutral.

To make things worse, at the time, Chrysler only used one audible warning for everything. So if you put the car in neutral and opened the door, you'd get the exact same bong-bong-bong that you would if you opened the door in park.

This video kinda details exactly why they did that. As for why they probably kept it, I can think of two reasons: 1. The software for the transmission control is probably the same on everything. 2. Because you don't have a key in the ignition, there's no interlock to keep you from removing the key when the car isn't in park. That's what usually kept people from doing this back in the 90s!

Sponsored

First Name
Claire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So one scenario... lol That would take a little getting used to.
Backing up trailers of any kind, especially if you are backing into tight quarters or a steep boat lauch can get extremly frustrating!!
Anyone have a real solution to actually DISABLE the feature all together? Without having to buy the tazor!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Backing up trailers of any kind, especially if you are backing into tight quarters or a steep boat lauch can get extremly frustrating!!
Anyone have a real solution to actually DISABLE the feature all together? Without having to buy the tazor!
Keep your seatbelt buckled, that will keep it from jumping to park.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I ended up going with the seat belt extensions from Amazon for 20 bucks after all. Now AutoPark is disabled permanently with no mods of any kind to the vehicle. I like it.

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
I accidentally discovered how to disable auto-park (and ESS at the same time) last summer. Three of the pins on my driver's side door connector got bent out of place last summer and everything continued to work fine except that every time I started the Jeep I got a message on the instrument cluster saying auto-park was disabled. I'm pretty sure it also disabled ESS. I haven't tried to reproduce this since then, but I did get a picture of the connector before I straightened the bent pins. If someone wants to experiment, I'd start by covering these with electrical tape or something to see if you can get the same effect. I would guess only one of these actually is needed. I apologize for the terrible photo, but it's the only documentation I have.
Jeep Wrangler JL Any way to disable auto park? doorconnector

Turchman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 VW Tiguan, 2001 Infinity
Occupation
Engineer and Quality Manager
Buy a manual, ESS only works when you put it in neutral and take your foot off the clutch also. Like killing two birds with one stone!
Sponsored