Sponsored

Any truth to this possible September steering box recall?

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
A member in another thread said he had been able to spearhead members of the NHTSA or something and they reached out to him after he tried for a while. They stated they were aware of steering problems and working with FCA. They asked him to take his Jeep to a dealer and met him out there. The person he met said Jeep was working on a new steering box and adjustable lower ball joints as a fix. So there could be some merit in this OP’s info.

Page with this info:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...els-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-408

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
All I can do is pray for a steering box recall, assuming it actually removes the dead spot.

SpeedKills

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2-Door, 2008 Rubicon 2-Door,2014 Ram 1500, 2013 CRF250L
I don’t understand how things could be so variable On a stock, in-modded Jeep.
In my opinion it's poor component manufacturing. Every item built in a factory has acceptable sizing tolerances. The manufacturing tolerances on the JL steering components are likely too wide. If you have multiple components with simultaneous tolerances on the "loose" end of the scale, you have sloppy steering. It isn't surprising for low-bid offshore manufacturing.

Sponsored

Dallasdan1968

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Sorry I send corrected, my Jeep pulls to the right. The dealership has had it the past week for warranty work on the soft top and that’s how little I pay attention to this that I forgot. But if you see in the picture, I have to hold the wheel about an inch to the left to go straight at all times. If I let go it starts to straighten and goes right.
4C91728C-72A3-47D9-B936-AA91009BB73D.jpeg
My steering wheel looks like that when I’m driving straight. Can they fix that? I asked them to address it before but nothing happened.....2018 JLU Rubicon

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Synergy adjustable lower control arms fixed mine, we put a lot of caster in it. Changed a shim in driver upper ball joint too. I’ll look at alignment sheet when I get home. Jeep used to need constant left and right inputs to stay straight. Now it is a left elbow on door armrest, two fingers and thumb driving. Totally different animal

Quigley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2 door, 2018 Harley Limited 115th Anniversary Edition, 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
In my opinion it's poor component manufacturing. Every item built in a factory has acceptable sizing tolerances. The manufacturing tolerances on the JL steering components are likely too wide. If you have multiple components with simultaneous tolerances on the "loose" end of the scale, you have sloppy steering. It isn't surprising for low-bid offshore manufacturing.
I believe the steering box I saw had a stick on it "MADE IN CHINA".

Quigley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2 door, 2018 Harley Limited 115th Anniversary Edition, 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
Synergy adjustable lower control arms fixed mine, we put a lot of caster in it. Changed a shim in driver upper ball joint too. I’ll look at alignment sheet when I get home. Jeep used to need constant left and right inputs to stay straight. Now it is a left elbow on door armrest, two fingers and thumb driving. Totally different animal
That's what I want!

Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It works, I promise

Quigley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It works, I promise
Do you have a part number for the Synergy LCA's?
How did you know to shim that ball joint?
How much is "lots of caster"
How did you find a shop to give you a custom alignment?
Thanks

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can’t find the alignment sheet, guess I left it laying around too long and wife trashed it.

https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-jeep-jl-adjustable-front-lower-control-arms.html

the shim he installed on driver upper ball joint works to “preload” steering to cut down on wandering.

typically, the more caster you can get in it, the better it will drive. Trade off with front pinion angle.

used a shop that specializes in making lifted trucks drive well, SS Truck in Shreveport, LA. I called him and described the problem and he knew exactly what it needed.
Sponsored