Sponsored

Any trusted/experienced Syracuse, NY area Jeep 4X4 shop for re-gearing?

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all. The time has come to re-gear. (Yukon D44 4.88s and install kits from @Northridge4x4 ) My go to shop, Installations Unlimited in North Syracuse doesn't do gears. After watching most of the videos and builds out there, I'm pretty sure I can do the swap in my garage after buying @$500 in tools. (calibration tools, pullers, press and larger sockets that I will probably use only a few times in my lifetime) I would like a professional shop to do it with the warranties associated. I am willing to drive a few hours to get my Jeep there if the price was right. Is there a shop you've had experience with that does gears? Thanks in advance. I appreciate it.

On the other hand. No body follows instructions and pays attention to details like a first-timer at something. I may just take my time and do it myself. LOL!!!

GM
Sponsored

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR, 2019 Ram Rebel Crew, 2019 HD FLTRXS, 2018 HD FLFBS ANV
Hey all. The time has come to re-gear. (Yukon D44 4.88s and install kits from @Northridge4x4 ) My go to shop, Installations Unlimited in North Syracuse doesn't do gears. After watching most of the videos and builds out there, I'm pretty sure I can do the swap in my garage after buying @$500 in tools. (calibration tools, pullers, press and larger sockets that I will probably use only a few times in my lifetime) I would like a professional shop to do it with the warranties associated. I am willing to drive a few hours to get my Jeep there if the price was right. Is there a shop you've had experience with that does gears? Thanks in advance. I appreciate it.

On the other hand. No body follows instructions and pays attention to details like a first-timer at something. I may just take my time and do it myself. LOL!!!

GM
You could check with Mike's Service Center on South Bay Road. IU subcontracts out a lot of their 4x4 work to them. But I guess probably not or IU would be subcontracting gearing jobs too.

OP
OP
19 JLUR Bright Whit3

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
You could check with Mike's Service Center on South Bay Road. IU subcontracts out a lot of their 4x4 work to them. But I guess probably not or IU would be subcontracting gearing jobs too.
Thanks. I'll give Mike a try. The problem with gears is the book states 6 hours for both axles, but if you follow Shawn's @chevymitchel Re-gear thread, folks are having issues and pushing the hours to way over 10 for a professional shop and days for the shady tree mechanic. You want to make money owning a shop and cant tie up a mechanic or a lift on an single job. I've wrenched in my youth way before everything became computer controlled. If Mike says "no" or he quotes me anything north of $800, I'll consider buying the tools and taking a few days from relaxing in retirement and do it myself. Thanks again! GM

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried to save you the time and trouble and reached out to someone that works there, waiting to hear back. If I do, I'll let you know.

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried to save you the time and trouble and reached out to someone that works there, waiting to hear back. If I do, I'll let you know.
Mike's doesn't do it, but said White's Speed Shop on Route 11 does. Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
19 JLUR Bright Whit3

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Mike's doesn't do it, but said White's Speed Shop on Route 11 does. Good luck.
Thanks a bunch to Curt @cnyjl for doing all the heavy lifting. I talked to Jason at White's in North Syracuse. He gave me a very reasonable quote for labor. For you all in the Syracuse area that are wrench challenged and/or who's time is worth more than turning a wrench themselves, you should really hit up Jason for your gearing needs. I, on the other hand was raised by a dad that wouldn't pay anyone anything if he could do it himself. It carried over, so I am still on the fence. I received my gear sets today from @Northridge4x4 and saw a "0" etched on the rear pinion. I may have lucked out ( I wont know until I open the M220), The front were marked "143" I'll need to research a bit to figure out exactly what Yukon is telling me the pinion should be. Most likely I'll hit up @chevymitchell. Totaling all the tools that I will need to purchase for a smooth re-gear, I am looking at right around $500. HF has the 12 ton press for $99 this month! The Yukon install kits appear complete with undamaged shims. I am leaning toward doing the rear first. Thanks again to Curt and all the PMs to my post.

I may do a build thread or YouTube upload. (to be honest, I've tried to document my other mods only to forget to document every step or turn the equipment on while trying to pay attention to what I'm doing. I am just not that committed to take things apart to do it all over again for the sake of a video. If there is interest, I'll do my best to upload something. LOL

GM
Sponsored

Last edited: