Sponsored

Any tips on extra break-in precaution for 2.0l Turbo JLU?

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Are there any extra precautions in break-in on 2.0L E-Torque over the 6 cylinder V6 Pentastar?
And any difference(s) on a cold start?

The manual does not state anything additional but I would appreciate any tips from the brain trust of this forum.
Sponsored

Poffnstuff

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Wrangler JLU, 18' Ram2500 CC 4x4, 18' FLHXI
Are there any extra precautions in break-in on 2.0L E-Torque over the 6 cylinder V6 Pentastar?

The manual does not state anything additional but I would appreciate any tips from the brain trust of this forum.
Drive it like you stole it.

Blood Type J+

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 TJ Sport 6-cyl

It's probably already been to redline in intial QC but I do like to baby my engines for the first 1000 miles and then not get terribly crazy for another 1000 to let the cylinders and rings more fully seat before I thrash it. If you want to *do* something, you can always get an extra, early oil/filter change at 500-1000 and check the oil to be sure it looks normal and comes out particle-free.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR

The number one thing to do is to vary the rpmā€™s all the time until you reach 1k miles. Donā€™t consistently stay with the same engine speed. The best break-in locations are in cities where youā€™re constantly changing the engine speed between street lights and stop signs. You live in Vegas so this is the perfect environment. Also; donā€™t sit and idle for extended periods of time. As Blood Type J+ said; change the oil and filter at least at 1k miles.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I never change the oil early. Unless it can be 100% confirmed that these donā€™t come with any type of break in oil Iā€™ll run it until it tells me to change it. These engines aren't like ones built in the 80s. They are precision built with higher tolerances than ever before. The days of having significant metal in the oil after being built are long over. Some call it preventive maintenance and to each their own, but to me, itā€™s wasteful

Brett

Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It's probably already been to redline in intial QC but I do like to baby my engines for the first 1000 miles and then not get terribly crazy for another 1000 to let the cylinders and rings more fully seat before I thrash it. If you want to *do* something, you can always get an extra, early oil/filter change at 500-1000 and check the oil to be sure it looks normal and comes out particle-free.
While I can respect your thinking, I once thought as you do. But I read some articles on various motors (automobile, and otherwise) being broken in "softly", vs "under load". Surmise it to say the term "run it like you stole it" in every case seemed to indicate much, much better ring sealing against the cylinder walls, thus stronger engines with little to no compression gas blow by. However, the engines that were broken in "softly" were typically underpowered, and experienced the aforementioned blow-by, and other tendencies as a result of poor ring sealing.

That said, typically the sealing is done within the first handful of miles anyhow, and perhaps even more likely on a "cold" running-in of the engine done in the factory during build time, then followed by a hot run-in as it's exiting the line.

Now I'm no expert, just my opinion of what I've read over the years. Worth a good read, but since I've spent the time to research I've changed my methods for break-in. Of importance to me is the application of deceleration compression pushing on the rings with no engine load (ie giving throttle). I usually find a good location where I'm on and off the gas, up and down hills, with the goal to apply more vehicle load onto the engine as it's own weight is pushing the crank to spin, aka engine breaking. That said, I'm certainly not afraid to "get into it" on a fresh engine. I've applied this thinking to many vehicles, including my motorcycles as well.

I do think it is important to change the oil fairly early on to remove any "build/break-in" particles from the oil as quickly as possible.

My 2c worth anyhow. Run it like you stole it.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
Owners manual says a 300 mile breakin period. No full throtle at low speeds but an occasional burst while already at highway speeds would be good for it.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.jeeclub.com/reco-385.html

A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.

Drive moderately during the first 500 miles (800 km).

After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.

While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.

Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided. Trailer tow is not recommended during break in period.

The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades, refer to ā€œMaintenance Proceduresā€ in ā€œMaintaining Your Vehicleā€.

NON-DETERGENT OR STRAIGHT MINERAL OILS MUST NEVER BE USED.

A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted as an indication of difficulty.

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Your first few oil changes should be done before the recommended interval for the first. I try to change oil on a new engine before 1000 miles and inspect the filter for metal and rtv. You donā€™t want a bunch of metal shavings floating around in your oil but thatā€™s just part of the break in process.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
After more than 3 years since the OP asked, the engine is probably broken in by now. ;)
And the OP has changed multiple Jeeps sincE then. :)

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
https://www.jeeclub.com/reco-385.html

A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.

Drive moderately during the first 500 miles (800 km).

After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.

While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.

Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided. Trailer tow is not recommended during break in period.

The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades, refer to ā€œMaintenance Proceduresā€ in ā€œMaintaining Your Vehicleā€.

NON-DETERGENT OR STRAIGHT MINERAL OILS MUST NEVER BE USED.

A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted as an indication of difficulty.
These instructions are extremely vague and open to wide interpretation.

"After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph are desirable". So how many miles are you supposed to keep it below 55 MPH? And doesn't this directly contradict the following statement?

"While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in." Cruising at what speed? At how many miles should this procedure be started?

Last edited:

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Donā€™t over think things. Vary the rpms if driving on the highway for the first 300 or 400 milesā€¦. No 80mph cross country ventures with cruise during this time.
Sponsored