First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Algorithmic Trading Strategies
As soon as my lift kit arrives, I'm going to order Rugged Ridge XHD wheels with 35x12.5 KO2s.

I'm torn between the 17s and 18s.

I know all the benefits of 17s... More rubber, more grip aired down, cheaper...

But I'm really digging the look of the 18s in this wheel.

I drive offroad in mostly desert trails and beaches in Socal. No serious rock crawling.

Any opinions? Thanks!

20180227_203849.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
JD Flick

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
More comparison shots from Extreme Terrain builder. I know it's so subtle... But the 18s just pop in that gun metal!
20180228_212932.jpg
20180228_212915.jpg

kholding

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
I think it boils down to your personal preference. Slightly reduced sidewall height, but nothing critical especially with the type of driving you mentioned. Looks like a winner either way!

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
if you dig the 18's get them. 18's would be the largest wheel I would consider. I like this wheel, because they are concave. The part I don't like is the fake shiny bolt heads around the outer edge. I wish these came without them. This is the one thing I really hate about truck wheels, and most of them have this type of look around the edge.

Lone Eagle

First Name
PL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Red JLUR
If you offroad desert trails and beaches, why the lift? The Jeep in its native form is quite capable out of the box and I find it more exciting to challenge your skills as a driver with a stock rig rather than build a mini monster truck that may be good on very specific trails but much less efficient as a daily driver, in snow, wind etc.. Just a thought... (From a guy who had to abandon his first Jeep in 3 feet of freezing water, snow & ice in early Spring and had to walk 3 hours to civilization...YJ with a spring re-arch, 2.5 inch body lift and 31 inch Goodrich ATs.. Live & Learn, 2 Jeeps later...)

Sponsored

OP
OP
JD Flick

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
if you dig the 18's get them. 18's would be the largest wheel I would consider. I like this wheel, because they are concave. The part I don't like is the fake shiny bolt heads around the outer edge. I wish these came without them. This is the one thing I really hate about truck wheels, and most of them have this type of look around the edge.
I know what you mean, and in general I dislike the whole fake beadlock theme in wheels.

On this rim though, the bolts are actually functional. You can attach rim protectors, and even change the bolts to black or another color.

http://www.ruggedridge.com/rim-protector-satin-black-15250-02.html

Not sure I would do this, but it's interesting.

OP
OP
JD Flick

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
If you offroad desert trails and beaches, why the lift? The Jeep in its native form is quite capable out of the box and I find it more exciting to challenge your skills as a driver with a stock rig rather than build a mini monster truck that may be good on very specific trails but much less efficient as a daily driver, in snow, wind etc.. Just a thought... (From a guy who had to abandon his first Jeep in 3 feet of freezing water, snow & ice in early Spring and had to walk 3 hours to civilization...YJ with a spring re-arch, 2.5 inch body lift and 31 inch Goodrich ATs.. Live & Learn, 2 Jeeps later...)
That's a fair point, and honestly I don't have a really good answer. I think what it boils down to is that the Jeep is my "for fun" vehicle. I commute on a motorcycle and have a minivan for hauling the family around.

I told myself in the beginning I would drive it stock 1 year before modifying it so I could appreciate the upgrades more, but I've already started ordering parts. I haven't put anything on yet, but I'm itching to. I like doing the work, and there is a sense of excitement there.
Sponsored