Sponsored

Any speculation on horsepower / torque numers for the Updated 3.6?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
This is some of the most anticipated information, for me, because I'm wanting the manual transmission.

Anyone see any sources leaking info on this? I'd like to see 300hp and at least 290ft lb of torque. 300 on the torque would be gravy! With Chevy getting 308 out of their reworked 3.6 in 2017, I think 300hp should be the minimum.
Sponsored

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf
Ram and GC already got the PUG, so unless this is a further upgraded pentastar, I would expect similar specs. They're listed as 305hp and 268 lb/ft.

Edit to add: If we do get the PSU as well, expect higher numbers. Allpar's Penstar website lists an expected 310, but no torque figure.

http://www.pentastars.com/engines/future.php

Edit again: sorry, I have the two terms above mixed. PSU is on the current Ram/GC but not the PUG.

Last edited:

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
The 2017 GC 3.6L V6 makes 295 hp and 260 lb*ft. Is there any good reason to believe that the Wrangler will get slightly more than that?

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
The 2017 GC 3.6L V6 makes 295 hp and 260 lb*ft. Is there any good reason to believe that the Wrangler will get slightly more than that?
At first blush that torque figure doesn't seem like much of an improvement but where the extra torque is being made in the power curve matters. The PSU Pentastar currently in the Ram and GC delivers 15% more torque under 3000 RPM. So that should translate into some nice real world pickup down low.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
At first blush that torque figure doesn't seem like much of an improvement but where the extra torque is being made in the power curve matters. The PSU Pentastar currently in the Ram and GC delivers 15% more torque under 3000 RPM. So that should translate into some nice real world pickup down low.
Yeah, the torque curve picks up pretty early and stays pretty flat across the range, which I guess is what you want to happen.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
There's no way to tell at this point, since it's not a limitation of the engine, but of the tune they decide to go with including considerations for cooling etc that are particular to the Wrangler.
It should be a boost over the current total output, but it might not be sigificant, the Grand Cherokee boost was only 5HP, remember the biggest impact of the update will be when power is delivered and how efficiently, not total power.

That the GC has a higher tune now doesn't guarantee that the Wrangler has similar output numbers, the Pentastar was introduced on the GC and yet the Wrangler got 5 HP less than the GC, and a lot less than the RAM, so history might repeat itself. I just hope they are a little more generous with their tune now that they have a little more room in the engine bay and that they seem to be putting hood vents on even the Sports.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope, port injection remains on the Pentastar, as confirmed by the updated GC, which is a good thing for cold starting and maintenance.

Detailed / thorough description of the PSU/PUG tech, including DI staying 'on the shelf' as it's not needed;
http://articles.sae.org/14322/

Now if you took the VVL improvements of the Pentastar and added that tech to the Hurricane, then you could do what VW is doing with their B-cycle 2.0 Turbo and go for 87 octane for the Hurricane.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I was just editing/updating that to clarify that I was meaning 87 for the turbo which seems unlikely, but possible; unfortunately my edit came after your reply/quote.

The Pentastar will retain its 85octane and also E85 support which is great for when you're in areas like Montana that sell 85.5 regular gas. I'm not a fan of E85 as it has much less energy than either 85.5 or 87 octane gasoline, so the price benefits are offset by decreased range per Litre/Gallon/Tank , plus being slightly harder on the engine.

What is the possibility of the GME Inline-6? or is that years away?
A pretty long way off.
Optimistic estimates are 5+ years away, more realistic ones are we won't see it in a vehicle until about 2025, or near the next Wrangler refresh.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Well I was just editing/updating that to clarify that I was meaning 87 for the turbo which seems unlikely, but possible; unfortunately my edit came after your reply/quote.

The Pentastar will retain its 85octane and also E85 support which is great for when you're in areas like Montana that sell 85.5 regular gas. I'm not a fan of E85 as it has much less energy than either 85.5 or 87 octane gasoline, so the price benefits are offset by decreased range per Litre/Gallon/Tank , plus being slightly harder on the engine.

A pretty long way off.
Optimistic estimates are 5+ years away, more realistic ones are we won't see it in a vehicle until about 2025, or near the next Wrangler refresh.
I read that the updated Pentastar actually lost its E85 capability due to the higher compression ratio and other changes. It's fine by me because I'd be happy with no ethanol at all.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I read that the updated Pentastar actually lost its E85 capability due to the higher compression ratio and other changes. It's fine by me because I'd be happy with no ethanol at all.
Ethanol was a bad idea from the very beginning.

Sponsored

Thau

First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former KJ owner
Ethanol is less power per gallon than regular gasoline. So adding Ethanol actually pulls power out of the vehicle system.

It is also horrible in small engines.

jeepney123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Train Set
This is some of the most anticipated information, for me, because I'm wanting the manual transmission.

Anyone see any sources leaking info on this? I'd like to see 300hp and at least 290ft lb of torque. 300 on the torque would be gravy! With Chevy getting 308 out of their reworked 3.6 in 2017, I think 300hp should be the minimum.
Personally I'm less concerned with raw horsepower and torque numbers than I am with power-to-weight ratios.

The current Wrangler has decent HP but massively lacks in lb-ft torque in comparison to vehicle weight.

Current Numbers for 2017 Unlimited (4397 lbs):

HP (Power to weight): 15.4
Torque (Power to weight): 16.9

These numbers should ideally be around 13.5 or lower for both HP and Torque - meaning that the next engine will need to be a fair bit more powerful or the vehicle will need to drop considerably in weight. With that being said, I think these numbers are very achievable for the next Wrangler.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I think you mean weight/power don't you?

I heard the JL is supposed to be lighter. I guess we'll have to wait and see for the specs to come out.
Sponsored