Sponsored

Any small lifts that will perform better than stock Rubi suspension?

OP
OP
csspar

csspar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Dont have direct experience with jeeps yet, but on mountain bikes an dirt bikes, to truly eliminate washboard you need a VERY good and usually VERY expensive suspension, its way cheaper to air down more. For me 18psi on stock Rubicon tires makes it almost bearable. And driving faster :)
I kinda figured that was the case. I wish I could afford to go full trophy truck.

I'd be happy if I could at least maintain stock performance with a little extra height.
Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I kinda figured that was the case. I wish I could afford to go full trophy truck.

I'd be happy if I could at least maintain stock performance with a little extra height.
The Rubicon suspension is a HUGE step up for exactly what you are describing. The performance on rough/washboard roads is greatly improved. The shocks are much beefier than the Sport.
On-road it's a bit stiffer but in a good way I think.

JRod

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Look at the dynatrac 2" lift. I have it on my Rubicon and I love it. Better ride onroad and better offroad performance. Not the best offroad performance you can get, but a great mix for on and off road.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have a Sport, but I have already swapped in Rubicon suspension and 33 inch tires. I've already ordered the Mopar lift LCAs too.

I suppose what I'm primarily looking for is a more comfortable ride on things like washboarded roads and moderate trails. Additional travel would be good, but I'm not doing any hardcore crawling. Something designed to perform correctly with extra weight is a plus too. Of course I'm also looking for a little extra height beyond the Rubi suspension that I currently have.

I'm anticipating lots of long highway miles on the trips I want to make, so I don't want the lift to "ruin" the Jeep on the highway. Maintaining the stock level of on-road comfort or improving on it is important for me.
My Rubicon springs, shocks, and control arms are stock, as are the tires/wheels (I do have aftermarket tierod, draglink, and trackbars for improved steering). If I were looking for a better riding shock, I would look to an adjustable, in particular I would look at King shocks. I have Kings on my GMC truck and they are great. But they cost as much as a diamond wedding ring. IMO, they are among the best companies for quality and determining necessary damping, while keeping a good ride on-road. Lots of choices out there, I'd also look at a Fox or Teraflex adjustable shock.

Since you're going from an empty daily driver to a heavily loaded weekender, adjustable damping seems like at least one of your needs. The other is the springs. I'm ok with air bags on an on-road tow vehicle, but off-road requires a lot of articulation that air bags restrict. I think your only answer here is a stiffer aftermarket progressive rate spring (I believe stock is also progressive rate). It's going to mess with your ride quality and you need to match the damping to the spring rate (hence the adjustable damping shock).
Sponsored