Sponsored

Any small lifts that will perform better than stock Rubi suspension?

csspar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Based on how I use my Jeep, I'm not planning on going any bigger than 33s. (at least for now... right?)

However I would like a small lift that will give me better performance on and off road compared to the stock Rubi suspension. I also don't want the Jeep to look like a roller skate with huge gaps in the wheel arches with 33s

I'm definitely up on weight a bit from stock, but not egregiously. My Jeep is my DD, but I'd really like to experience the benefits of an upgraded suspension when I'm all loaded up for a long trip.

Does a suspension kit like this exist? Or am I generally going to see a drop in performance when it comes to shorter lifts vs stock? Would something like the 1.5 terraflex spacer kit + shocks get me what I'm looking for?

I'd love to hear your experience with this, thank you!
Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Spacer lift vs Rubi take off suspension - Rubi take off for sure. Just spend a little more on the Mopar 2” lift LCA’s so you can bump back to 6 degrees.

spacer lifts are nice but lifting the body up reduces stock shock travel. Getting a full rubicon take off should be more cost effective in the long run.

Of course this is just my opinion and my wife will tell you I’m a huge moron, so take it in stride.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Might look into a Rubis swap and then go w/ Fox shocks, there's a few that have done this setup.
I only have the Rubi swap but have found the Rubi shock/springs set to perform well for my needs, but I don't load mine up :)

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
I did the Rubi takeoff on my JLU sport with the teraflex .5" spacers, I still grind the fenders when offroading. I recommend maybe 1" teraflex spacers with it but not sure if that will still grind the outer edges of the stock fenders. I have the 2.5" rough country spacer kit on order so waiting for that. That will likely keep the fenders safe.

I have 35" tires by the way. so stock tires or 33" tires might be okay. not sure.

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Lets say ur on a sport.
Doing rubi take offs + teraflex leveling technically is no different from getting a 2.5 inch suspension lift.

1.5 tf + 1.5 rubi rise in height = 3 inches.

might as well get you a proper 2.5 inch suspension lift which is a 3.5 on a sport but you said u have weight so that’ll come down to a 3 anyways

Sponsored

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@csspar you are running a stock Rubicon already, right? When you speak of better performance on and off road, what are you looking for: increased travel, some sort of different ride characteristic, or what? Your desired outcome will affect which options make sense.

OP
OP
csspar

csspar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
I have a Sport, but I have already swapped in Rubicon suspension and 33 inch tires. I've already ordered the Mopar lift LCAs too.

I suppose what I'm primarily looking for is a more comfortable ride on things like washboarded roads and moderate trails. Additional travel would be good, but I'm not doing any hardcore crawling. Something designed to perform correctly with extra weight is a plus too. Of course I'm also looking for a little extra height beyond the Rubi suspension that I currently have.

I'm anticipating lots of long highway miles on the trips I want to make, so I don't want the lift to "ruin" the Jeep on the highway. Maintaining the stock level of on-road comfort or improving on it is important for me.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
I have a Sport, but I have already swapped in Rubicon suspension and 33 inch tires. I've already ordered the Mopar lift LCAs too.

I suppose what I'm primarily looking for is a more comfortable ride on things like washboarded roads and moderate trails. ....
For washboards just air down. Disconnecting front sway bar helps huge amount too.

Sponsored

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My bad, i thought u meant electronic disconnect.
No problem :) Electronic is nice, but I read in couple of places that fully disconnected sway bar allows more articulation than electronic one :) So win-win for us non Rubicon guys :)

OP
OP
csspar

csspar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
No problem :) Electronic is nice, but I read in couple of places that fully disconnected sway bar allows more articulation than electronic one :) So win-win for us non Rubicon guys :)
True! I'm back and forth on buying quick disconnect links. It seems convenient, but it's also a lot of money for a small increase in convenience.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dont have direct experience with jeeps yet, but on mountain bikes an dirt bikes, to truly eliminate washboard you need a VERY good and usually VERY expensive suspension, its way cheaper to air down more. For me 18psi on stock Rubicon tires makes it almost bearable. And driving faster :)
Sponsored