Sponsored

Any Rubicon owners NOT planning to install lift/tires?

Are you leaving your Rubicon with stock wheels/tires?

• Total voters

JoeG

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Leaving it stock until I wear out the current tires. Then I will do a 2" lift and switch to 35's. Have the lifetime warranty but a 2" lift will not void that.
Sponsored

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
Tires without lift since it'll fit 35s stock. No idea why people are lifting 2" to fit tires that fit without a lift...

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Tires without lift since it'll fit 35s stock. No idea why people are lifting 2" to fit tires that fit without a lift...
Good question. I went with 2" mopar lifts for 1) increased approach and departure angles 2) increased ground clearance 3) better suspension for sustained rough stuff on long trail rides - smaller shocks overheat quicker 3) level it out for good looks and for when i trailer. I think if your not into offroading the lift would be mainly for looks but I good amount of people who my jeeps or rubicons by them to offroad in the rough stuff. Come join us some time.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Because, at least in my case, there was a little bit of rubbing at full articulation. I ran mine for a short bit on the 315/70/17 KO2's before installing the lift. It wasn't bad, but there was definitely rubbing. That wasn't the only reason I added the lift though. The #1 reason, even above elimination of rubbing, was to get a better breakover angle, which the lift significantly improved.

Sponsored

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good question. I went with 2" mopar lifts for 1) increased approach and departure angles 2) increased ground clearance 3) better suspension for sustained rough stuff on long trail rides - smaller shocks overheat quicker 3) level it out for good looks and for when i trailer. I think if your not into offroading the lift would be mainly for looks but I good amount of people who my jeeps or rubicons by them to offroad in the rough stuff. Come join us some time.
Lift doesn't help get the axles, which are the low point and what I usually get hung up on. I've always run the minimum lift necessary to fit the tires I want to run as otherwise you sacrifice ride and handling for little benefit - and if you're going to lift there's little point not putting the biggest tire that will fit. It's the axles getting hung up that almost always gets me and I do quite a bit of off-roading, but usually back woods stuff and not rock gardens. There are occasionally rocks or rocky creeks, but mainly washouts, logs and some mushy ground which require good tires (and a winch) over everything else. Plus I DD mine so I'm not willing to sacrifice the handling much. Just seems like if you're going to lift it 2", put 37's on it. I see litlle reason to lift it 2" just to run 35's - though I guess if you got rubbing it makes sense but I wouldn't bother with 35's if 37's will fit.

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Lift doesn't help get the axles, which are the low point and what I usually get hung up on. I've always run the minimum lift necessary to fit the tires I want to run as otherwise you sacrifice ride and handling for little benefit - and if you're going to lift there's little point not putting the biggest tire that will fit. It's the axles getting hung up that almost always gets me and I do quite a bit of off-roading, but usually back woods stuff and not rock gardens. There are occasionally rocks or rocky creeks, but mainly washouts, logs and some mushy ground which require good tires (and a winch) over everything else. Plus I DD mine so I'm not willing to sacrifice the handling much. Just seems like if you're going to lift it 2", put 37's on it. I see litlle reason to lift it 2" just to run 35's - though I guess if you got rubbing it makes sense but I wouldn't bother with 35's if 37's will fit.
For me - I was not rubbing on axel but front and rear on steep approaches and now I don’t do either but sometimes get the very middle climbing over something steep. Probably depends on your style of riding and where you ride. I’m running 2” and 33’s and I’m happy. I might go to 35’s when time for new tires. That’s the beauty of a Jeep - there’s no wrong way to build a Jeep.

7FC1D47D-F934-44CA-9BC0-96597E76D10B.jpeg

Four Flusher

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray, auto
So you can go over rocks without rubbing

DirtyTj

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On its way 2018 JLUR in granite crystal with most everything but smokers group and dual top.2003 Sahara ARB air lockers front and rear, G2 Dana 60 in the rear, Dana 30 with RCV shafts Upfront 4.88 gearing.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What you may realize after doing some listening is that everyone has different priorities that are based on a complex algorithm of compromises that includes experiences, the type of terrain most frequented, handling, ride, power, feel, and others, yes, including looks.

Also, while a lift does nothing for axles, that is not the only measure of ground clearance. It also includes breakover angle, approach angle, departure angle, and other component heights under the Jeep. For example, in my JK, I've never hit an axle or differential housing on anything, but my gas tank skid plate has taken many a beating.

What I hear from you is that ride, handling, and differential clearance are a priority, so you will set yours up that way.

For me, ride and handling were important, too, but so was breakover angle, approach, and departure. I also wanted to lose as little fuel economy and power as possible. I discovered that with 315 KO2s, (C rated) the ride was smoother and absorbs big bumps or impacts better than stock. It does have more body roll and the on road cornering dynamics suffered a little. Off road, it is superior in every way over stock, which was amazing to begin with. I lost very little acceleration or fuel economy, which is why I didn't go with 37s. I was more than willing to go back to stock if I didn't like it. Turns out, I love it.

I could go on, but I think we all get the idea. Build your Jeep for your needs, priorities, and desires. That's a big part of the Jeep thing.

Sponsored

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What you may realize after doing some listening is that everyone has different priorities that are based on a complex algorithm of compromises that includes experiences, the type of terrain most frequented, handling, ride, power, feel, and others, yes, including looks.

Also, while a lift does nothing for axles, that is not the only measure of ground clearance. It also includes breakover angle, approach angle, departure angle, and other component heights under the Jeep. For example, in my JK, I've never hit an axle or differential housing on anything, but my gas tank skid plate has taken many a beating.

What I hear from you is that ride, handling, and differential clearance are a priority, so you will set yours up that way.

For me, ride and handling were important, too, but so was breakover angle, approach, and departure. I also wanted to lose as little fuel economy and power as possible. I discovered that with 315 KO2s, (C rated) the ride was smoother and absorbs big bumps or impacts better than stock. It does have more body roll and the on road cornering dynamics suffered a little. Off road, it is superior in every way over stock, which was amazing to begin with. I lost very little acceleration or fuel economy, which is why I didn't go with 37s. I was more than willing to go back to stock if I didn't like it. Turns out, I love it.

I could go on, but I think we all get the idea. Build your Jeep for your needs, priorities, and desires. That's a big part of the Jeep thing.
Maybe I worded it incorrectly - I don't see the point running smaller tires than the lift will fit. That's probably more accurate, but yeah I get some people do it for looks etc. I won't necessarily agree with why, but was more looking into why you wouldn't stuff 36's or 37's if they'll fit and instead only run 35's with more lift than necessary...It seems like an odd compromise to make (imo).

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I worded it incorrectly - I don't see the point running smaller tires than the lift will fit. That's probably more accurate, but yeah I get some people do it for looks etc. I won't necessarily agree with why, but was more looking into why you wouldn't stuff 36's or 37's if they'll fit and instead only run 35's with more lift than necessary...It seems like an odd compromise to make (imo).
That's ok. I run the 315's because they are not a huge diameter increase over the 285's. They look fine, to me, and they don't create a final drive ratio that costs much power. We also have thick mud around here, so just barely clearing the fenders isn't enough, when mud is caked in there. The lift gives me the clearance I need for tires, breakover, approach and departure, and the 315's give me larger tires without any rubbing, plenty of clearance, and minimal loss of power. The KO2's in 315 also only weigh about 64 pounds, which puts less strain on the drive train, and less strain on the tailgate hinges. That saves both money and the weight of reinforcements. When you see something that doesn't make sense to do, then do like you've done here and ask. Usually the owner has a specific rationale for those decisions. Every little thing I've done on my Jeep has been informed by 25 years of Jeep Wrangler ownership and experience. I've done plenty of trial and error, but have zeroed in on what compromises work best for my needs. Sometimes, though, mods don't pan out as expected. In that case, I change it asap.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Living in a high-rise I'm rather restricted by the garage - 6'5" doesn't allow for much in the way of lifting. So when I get my Rubi it will have to stay pretty stock for a while. The good news is that the stock Rubi in JL/JLU is a heck of a ride already.

WhiteGold

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR White
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, but dang, if he is willing to go out there and put a new JLUR through it’s paces - more power to him. At least this video shows that needing a 2” lift on 35’s to off road effectively might not be valid. Maybe for clearance, but that Jeep seemed to flex and articulate pretty well. It would allow me to approach the whole tire/lift process in a step fashion, not having to fork over $5K at one time to do both the 35’s and a lift. I could get the 35’s this year and then the 2” next year. Prior to viewing this video I thought getting 35’s basically necessitated the 2” lift. Maybe not. Comments? Thoughts?
I am running stock and I am new. I was running with a fellow on 37's on sections of level 5 trails. I had to be a little more strategic in my approach and had a couple spotters, but I pretty much followed him where he went. The Rubicon is very capable and I just need to build my confidence to match it.

20181229_145236.jpg

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Great thread ,
I have the 2 door and have been deciding between stock and a small 2 inch lift. For now I’m leaving it stock I’m slightly concerned about messing with the driveshaft angles. Installed spidertrax wheel spacers and love the way it looks. may kick it up to the 315 BFG.
Sponsored