Sponsored

Any Rubicon owners NOT planning to install lift/tires?

Are you leaving your Rubicon with stock wheels/tires?

• Total voters
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered 2018 JLU Rubicon
Lowering mine 3", going to run 22's :)
You joke, but I saw one yesterday like this. It was lowered to the GROUND, and it had those wire-rimmed lowrider tires on it. I couldn't tell if it was an intentional attempt at irony or not...
Sponsored

AmericanRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I was ready to jump into a lift, wheels and tires but after picking up my JLUR, I really don't think I need a thing....I guess I am set on getting new all black wheels so I'll probably wait for AEV to see if they roll the Salta for JLU that said the tires are big, narrow, and light which is the ultimate weapon off road and overland, and the rig is plenty high to support them...maybe I'll change to 285/75/17 when the tires wear out...something I am curious about would be if there are better shocks and springs to support the near stock height, essentially some progressivley tuned springs and superior shocks to support the stock engineering...anyone heard of something like this?

AdHerp

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jk -> 2018 JL
Won’t fit in my garage with a lift.

AmericanRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Do you find it's level without a lift? Or nose down? I hate the nose down raked look...whole reason I lifter my JKUR. Waiting for my order to arrive, but if it's not level, I may have to lift.
To me it looks level, I have not looked hard at that though....I would say very level but I will double check...

AmericanRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
It seems to have a whole different stance than the JKU. I still think I'd like it a little higher though. 2" Mopar and 35s will be perfect...for me at least. Let me know what you think it terms of if it's level or nose down when you get a chance to look. Thx!
I just went and looked at it...to me it looks level, the clearance on the front tires on the Rubicon is significant, they really did a nice job with this stock JLUR, you could do nothing and its really nice...I'm with the overland guys, big wide tires make no sense for me...DD and family camp mobile, always loaded with kids, dog and gear, huge approach drive to the mountains and then off road. No 35's or 37's....my favorite is the 285/75/17....anyway will target black wheels next hopefully Salta's if they make a JL version, I like them...my 2012 previous Rubicon had to have a lift, wheels and tires day one no question...this JLUR not so much

Sponsored

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Occupation
VFX Artist / Photographer / Cinematographer
I took the jl offroad today and tried to climb a steep incline.the crawling ratio is impressive and the lockers work great but the problem is the long wheelbase.
I couldn't get over the incline without scraping the center bottom.
A 2" lift with 35" tires is bare minimum to avoid that. I think a 4" would be perfect, but then there will be all sort of height problems in garages etc.
2" lift and 285/75-17 nitto ridge grappler on fuel recoil rims have been ordered for me but the lift is back ordered :(

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Not until I retire in a couple of years. When I'm not driving 60+ miles a day.

302lockedandloaded

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Black
Stock suspension runs soo soo smooth, I'm okay with driving stock for now, but I can't be among peasants for too long. I need to look down upon the townsfolk. I had the AEV 3.5 with 36's on my previous JKU.

MBurgJL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I took the jl offroad today and tried to climb a steep incline.the crawling ratio is impressive and the lockers work great but the problem is the long wheelbase.
I couldn't get over the incline without scraping the center bottom.
A 2" lift with 35" tires is bare minimum to avoid that. I think a 4" would be perfect, but then there will be all sort of height problems in garages etc.
2" lift and 285/75-17 nitto ridge grappler on fuel recoil rims have been ordered for me but the lift is back ordered :(
That’s why god made skidplates :rock::cwl:

Vintage

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
First, leaving it stock and doing some mild to moderate off-roading to learn the ropes better as well as my new rig. Second, after my skills improve and the JLR has seen some trails, I will re-evaluate and decide whether to go with the 2" MOPAR lift and 35s.

Last edited:

Sponsored

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Occupation
VFX Artist / Photographer / Cinematographer
That’s why god made skidplates :rock::cwl:
Ahahah I hear you, is my next purchase as soon as somebody makes them for the JL, but the problem is when you are stuck on your belly and can't move forward or backward anymore....lift it is!

G.

Jethris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2106 Ford Explorer Platinum, 2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Leaving it.

The trails that I want to tackle in Colorado aren't that bad, and I really don't need the Rubicon. But, I got it because I needed to tow the popup to places that most people can't get to, and it was worth the extra for the capabilities that I may never need, but I do have!

Kurtj29

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Billet Silver
Vehicle Showcase
I was considering leaving it stock. But I like 35’s for the look. But adding a lift is another $2K. I just watched this video of a guy crawling with a stock JLUR with 35’s and no lift. It does not appear that he had any rubbing issues. There is still clearance, but maybe I will just go with tires and wait on the lift.

RockAltered

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR V6 AT & 23 Ram Limited 4x4
Occupation
Retired.
In my humble opinion PT Barnum described this guy to a tee.
One design racing is skill. Unlimited racing is wallet size.

Magnetdragon

First Name
Erwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu!!
I was considering leaving it stock. But I like 35’s for the look. But adding a lift is another $2K. I just watched this video of a guy crawling with a stock JLUR with 35’s and no lift. It does not appear that he had any rubbing issues. There is still clearance, but maybe I will just go with tires and wait on the lift.

It probably does have rubbing issues? This is the 2in mopar lift with stock wheels and 35s and they were rubbing at full flex and full turn Screenshot_20180305-072810.png

You could run spacers with the 2 in lift to alleviate the issue. But 35s will rub offroading without a lift
Sponsored