Sponsored

Any reviews on aftermarket skid plates/ bellypans?

porkchop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR / Billet / Teraflex ST2 / Icon Shocks
Here you go

192A8108-AD7D-4018-B197-17638A7C3302.jpeg
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
they do come with Tapered Bolt Head Protectors, so the bolts are recessed.
Tapered head bolts protectors aren't recessed...I'd like them recessed so there is a flat surface to slide like Artec, Metalcloak and even Rough Country.

Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Quadratec aluminum skids and beat on them hard this weekend. They held up well, although the tcase skid is slightly dented (not structural). They do hang down almost an inch and that caused me to get hung up a time or two. They slid off rocks no problem. I’d say decent for the price with, the reduction in ground clearance a negative, but worth it compared to a bashed exhaust loop. That cross member they give you is super beefy.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I have the Quadratec aluminum skids and beat on them hard this weekend. They held up well, although the tcase skid is slightly dented (not structural). They do hang down almost an inch and that caused me to get hung up a time or two. They slid off rocks no problem. I’d say decent for the price with, the reduction in ground clearance a negative, but worth it compared to a bashed exhaust loop. That cross member they give you is super beefy.
Thanks for the review. I wish it didnt offer a loss in clearance + non recessed bolts.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the review. I wish it didnt offer a loss in clearance + non recessed bolts.
Me too. I don’t love either of those issues. But the loss of clearance really bums me out. It’s also not completely flat, and that lip can get hung up too. Overall it’s a decent skid and certainly saved my right side exhaust loop, so worth it. But with a few tweaks it could be really great.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Me too. I don’t love either of those issues. But the loss of clearance really bums me out. It’s also not completely flat, and that lip can get hung up too. Overall it’s a decent skid and certainly saved my right side exhaust loop, so worth it. But with a few tweaks it could be really great.
Agreed...I actually like the design of Rough Country's full skid system for $799. Good coverage with smooth profile for sliding and bolts are recessed. Weighs 155lbs...about 50lbs less than Metalcloak's belly system.
wUYkphh.png

ccONQQr.png

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed...I actually like the design of Rough Country's full skid system for $799. Good coverage with smooth profile for sliding and bolts are recessed. Weighs 155lbs...about 50lbs less than Metalcloak's belly system.
wUYkphh.png

ccONQQr.png
Looks nice, I like the it’s flat. Do you have to remove the engine skid to do an oil change? I’m going check those out.

But for now, I’m in for a penny, in for a pound... I may look to see if I can find some Allen bolt heads for the Q-tec skid I have now. While I don’t like the exposed bolts because they get hung up, I really hate when the bolt head gets damaged and you can no longer get a socket on it.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Looks nice, I like the it’s flat. Do you have to remove the engine skid to do an oil change? I’m going check those out.

But for now, I’m in for a penny, in for a pound... I may look to see if I can find some Allen bolt heads for the Q-tec skid I have now. While I don’t like the exposed bolts because they get hung up, I really hate when the bolt head gets damaged and you can no longer get a socket on it.
There's a hole cutout for oil changes...so doesnt look like anything needs to be removed.

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
Those should hold up just fine. Aluminum does very well and actually bounces back rather than denting.
Tell that to my underbelly! I have these. They dent like a mother. I rate these as okay for over-landing, but wouldn't advise anyone that frequents the rock gardens rely on these for a long period of time. That said, the components they are supposed to protect on my jeep are still fine. I will replace this with something more sturdy this summer. I'm thinking I'll go with metalcloak, since I've already got their 3.5" kit, drag link FAD skid and diff cover. Keeps it all consistent.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I am still on the fence on main skids, have chosen Artec weld-on for the front LCA's and Rancho (painting black) for rear LCA's / shocks. The Rancho looked to sit higher and tighter than other bolt-ons for the rear LCA's and give a fair amount of protection and Atrec weld-on fronts seem an easy choice.

The two main skid systems that keep coming to the top of my list (I have a 2-door Rubi) are Rock Hard's aluminum belly pan and Metalcloak's UnderCloak system. (Artec does not offer one for 2-door JL's) Both are approximately the same weight (180 pounds) and while the Rock Hard is aluminum, it is 1/4 inch and has two additional solid steel crossmembers for support. The Metalcloak is 7 gauge steel (3/16) and you remove one of the skinny factory crossmembers (that hold the OEM skid) and has no additional crossmembers, it is hot-rolled steel which is stronger than cold-rolled steel. Anyone who is running either of these have any negative comments? Anyone running either of these in Arizona last summer have any heat build-up issues?

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Below is the official response from Artec after I asked about 2-door JL bellypans...

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 1.16.49 AM.png

whiteglad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
The factory skids seem decent for moderate use, but the two tubular crossmembers on my JT seem weak. I have the Rock Hard rocker guard/steps on order because the Rubicon rock rails are not very substantial.
Sponsored