Sponsored

Any reviews on aftermarket skid plates/ bellypans?

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
It took my local shop about an hour and a half and that was with the nutsert spinning on them on the transfer case skid and having to weld it. They went on very easy.
after looking at the installation instructions, 4 hours seemed to be pretty long to me. when I place my new order for my replacement, I may end up installing them myself as it seemed pretty straight forward and not worth 4 hours of labor to have them do it. I could buy a good nutsert tool, and still have a lot left. I also have some ideas around trying the solve for the metal on metal noise when twisting off-road that I have.
Sponsored

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
8F3ACBA3-B798-4919-A2E3-F19348A53C7D.jpeg
D3E92848-2C1E-4383-A703-FEBD8AB30831.jpeg
Check out quadratec, they have a modular aluminum skid plate system. That’s what I have, very happy. I wanted lite weight and didn’t see the need to replace the gas tank skid. Nice directions. Check out the price too.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Check out quadratec, they have a modular aluminum skid plate system. That’s what I have, very happy. I wanted lite weight and didn’t see the need to replace the gas tank skid. Nice directions. Check out the price too.
Do you plan on doing any rock crawling or more of a weekend/overlanding rig? I'm curious to see how well these hold up. I haven't seen very many people with the Quadratec Modular skids so I don't think there are a lot of review on them yet so I've been hesitant to order. Everyone says aluminium doesn't slide as easily over rocks but I haven't seen the aftermath of aluminium skids on rocks.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I'm am sure these are great and much better than factory, but not quite the same as the full underbelly systems others have that smooth the entire belly, or most of it. If I was doing less with sharp large rocks off-road I would for sure look into these. if I was still in the midwest with most trails being in the woods and mud these would bea top choice. but here, I have already seen the benefit of the smooth belly and the ability for steel to glide over things instead of catch. has made running no lift and factory 33s last much longer for me for sure.

let everyone know how these hold up for you long term. I know quite a few people that I will recommend these to if they hold up for you. I actually really like quadratic and their quality, so interested to see what you think in a few months

porkchop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR / Billet / Teraflex ST2 / Icon Shocks
Those should hold up just fine. Aluminum does very well and actually bounces back rather than denting.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Is that the trans xmember? Is the skid plate actually spaced below/off that - it looks like a gap?

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
The skid plates come with new cross members that are very beefie. All the factory gear come off. I posted photos in another thread.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
after looking at the installation instructions, 4 hours seemed to be pretty long to me. when I place my new order for my replacement, I may end up installing them myself as it seemed pretty straight forward and not worth 4 hours of labor to have them do it. I could buy a good nutsert tool, and still have a lot left. I also have some ideas around trying the solve for the metal on metal noise when twisting off-road that I have.
Litebrite has a good video of her and boyfriend installing the Metalcloak system on her “stepchild” rig.. looks really easy to install.. and planning on doing it when I get my new JL

Here is the video, they say it took 40 minutes...

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm am sure these are great and much better than factory, but not quite the same as the full underbelly systems others have that smooth the entire belly, or most of it. If I was doing less with sharp large rocks off-road I would for sure look into these. if I was still in the midwest with most trails being in the woods and mud these would bea top choice. but here, I have already seen the benefit of the smooth belly and the ability for steel to glide over things instead of catch. has made running no lift and factory 33s last much longer for me for sure.

let everyone know how these hold up for you long term. I know quite a few people that I will recommend these to if they hold up for you. I actually really like quadratic and their quality, so interested to see what you think in a few months
You should check out Savvy Offroad. They have been Al for the bumpers for the TJs since around 2009 and skids since 2010. Their testing is the Hammer trails so I have no doubt that a well designed and manufactured skid will survive even the harshest environments. I don't know how I would compare these to Savvy's but to simply dismiss Al as being inferior in sharp, large rocks means that person hasn't been watching the industry evolve as much over the last 10 years.

And while I am curious to see how these hold up, I would likely go with something more like what MORE, Rockhard, or Artec (if they made one for a 2 door) offer. Personally, I like the MORE pieces because I can add individually as I want to and the price is as good or better than Rockhard and only a little more than QT.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
You should check out Savvy Offroad. They have been Al for the bumpers for the TJs since around 2009 and skids since 2010. Their testing is the Hammer trails so I have no doubt that a well designed and manufactured skid will survive even the harshest environments. I don't know how I would compare these to Savvy's but to simply dismiss Al as being inferior in sharp, large rocks means that person hasn't been watching the industry evolve as much over the last 10 years.

And while I am curious to see how these hold up, I would likely go with something more like what MORE, Rockhard, or Artec (if they made one for a 2 door) offer. Personally, I like the MORE pieces because I can add individually as I want to and the price is as good or better than Rockhard and only a little more than QT.
I don't doubt the strength of Al. My comment on sharp rocks are due the inherent nature of aluminum in that environment. Steel is much harder, this is glides over the rocks better, vs al. That would deform or let the rock dig in causing more friction. Also I was clear I prefer the full belly system over the setup here. Rockhard, Artec, and metalcloak are full systems that go frame rail to frame rail. Less area underneath to potentially get hung up on a ledge or rock. As I said, I have no doubt that these are probably great products, but the design is very different than the other full belly types that are available.

Sponsored

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't doubt the strength of Al. My comment on sharp rocks are due the inherent nature of aluminum in that environment. Steel is much harder, this is glides over the rocks better, vs al. That would deform or let the rock dig in causing more friction. Also I was clear I prefer the full belly system over the setup here. Rockhard, Artec, and metalcloak are full systems that go frame rail to frame rail. Less area underneath to potentially get hung up on a ledge or rock. As I said, I have no doubt that these are probably great products, but the design is very different than the other full belly types that are available.
I understand and saw earlier that even Savvy sells the Artec skids for the JK so I doubt that they are going to create something for the JL. I like the MC as well (as well as almost all of the rest of their products) and if the weight difference isn't much, will probably consider them as well. There is nothing wrong with steel at all but I'll choose the lighter, especially if they are strong enough to handle what I do without compromise. I just think that if the al skids were that prone to gouging and problems, you wouldn't be seeing them by such prominent companies running trails such as they do.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
This is a great thread as I have the same questions. I want to keep my JLUR stock, but DO want protection for peace of mind. Are there any concerns with heat build up from the larger belly pans?

Skid plate upgrades are about the only mod/upgrade I am still undecided on...Potential heat build-up created by large full belly pan systems and subsequent component overheating/failure/shortened lifespan is a major concern-especially here in the Arizona desert where summer temps are normally triple digits and often in the 120 degree range...Otherwise, the Rock Hard aluminum belly pan system with their two solid steel crossmembers would be on my short list. Any comments from members/vendors and especially any FCA engineers would be appreciated!

porkchop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR / Billet / Teraflex ST2 / Icon Shocks
I run the MORE aluminum skids. very well made. plenty stout. excellent customer service too. I ordered them as raw aluminum. Artec makes some really nice control arm skids.

I've run aluminum for years with no issues, they don't rust and no paint touchups to deal with. they've taken a beating in Moab, Arizona and the Rubicon.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I run the MORE aluminum skids. very well made. plenty stout. excellent customer service too. I ordered them as raw aluminum. Artec makes some really nice control arm skids.

I've run aluminum for years with no issues, they don't rust and no paint touchups to deal with. they've taken a beating in Moab, Arizona and the Rubicon.
I wish the MORE skids had recessed bolts