Sponsored

Any reports of issues with steering in the 2019s?

gotime4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Ocean Blue, 2019 Ram 1500 etorque Laramie
I had an '18 Sport S JL and had no problems with steering and I put rubicon take off tires and wheels on it, traded it in for 2019 Fully Loaded Rubicon and have thrown 35's on it and no issue with steering as well. Like others have said I think it is a small portion that have been really affected.

Good luck to you all
Sponsored

MTN1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep jl Sport S
Any reports of issues with steering in the 2019s? Can any of you lucky new owners chime in?

The steering was so loose on the first 2018 I test drove it was a top motivator to wait for the 19s.
2019 wanders all over the highway.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Heres an interesting story. My wife had to use our daughters Subie Crosstrek yesterday and had it out on the interstate. She came home last night and expressed her hatred for the Crosstrek steering. Too tight, every little movement, translated into the car moving. She loves the way her Wrangler steers much better. It doesnt change direction with small inputs. OK, thats a first !
I bought a small sports car years ago and that was a common complaint by others. If you barely leaned to do something just the slightest movement would send it in another direction. Too sensitive steering!

Frustr8ed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
My 2019 is flawless. Drives like my Lincoln possibly better.
This thread was started by a disgruntled 2018 owner.
Form what I've gleaned from all the DW threads is more often than not they are lifted and or larger tires and or spacers.

Frustr8ed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
I purchased a new 2019 JLUR in early October 2019. On the drive home, I noticed a pull to the right. It is consistent and not really a wobble, but requires constant left correction. I went by the dealership the next day and they said schedule an appointment for a simple alignment fix. Took it in to the appointment a week later. Only about 600 miles on it. They said the alignment was in proper spec, but it doesn't fix the problem. They found AN INHERENT FLAW IN THE GEOMETRY. After multiple tries to repair, including changing out the steering gear box, swapping brakes from side to side and loosening and re-tightening suspension parts, there is still no fix. The FCA engineer was supposed to come look at it at the dealership but canceled his appointment and sent the shop on another goose chase. At this point the Jeep has been in the shop longer than it was in my garage. I have owned a Ford Excursion with a "loose" dead zone in the steering. Just a function of its truck-like behavior that could be tightened a bit on service appointments. This issue on the Jeep is DIFFERENT and not normal. Buyer Beware!

Sponsored

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
I purchased a new 2019 JLUR in early October 2019. On the drive home, I noticed a pull to the right. It is consistent and not really a wobble, but requires constant left correction. I went by the dealership the next day and they said schedule an appointment for a simple alignment fix. Took it in to the appointment a week later. Only about 600 miles on it. They said the alignment was in proper spec, but it doesn't fix the problem. They found AN INHERENT FLAW IN THE GEOMETRY. After multiple tries to repair, including changing out the steering gear box, swapping brakes from side to side and loosening and re-tightening suspension parts, there is still no fix. The FCA engineer was supposed to come look at it at the dealership but canceled his appointment and sent the shop on another goose chase. At this point the Jeep has been in the shop longer than it was in my garage. I have owned a Ford Excursion with a "loose" dead zone in the steering. Just a function of its truck-like behavior that could be tightened a bit on service appointments. This issue on the Jeep is DIFFERENT and not normal. Buyer Beware!
You might look underneath. I found this last week but had it removed
20191028_145649.jpg

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
There are just far too many reporting steering problems for Jeep to ignore it and develop a corrective action. Dealers either don't know or don't care.
Both. Dealers dont know and dont care. theyre useless.

Frustr8ed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
There are just far too many reporting steering problems for Jeep to ignore it and develop a corrective action. Dealers either don't know or don't care.
Jack,
In this case the dealer has followed every recommendation from Jeep. Jeep has no solution. Their engineer was scheduled then he canceled of his own accord. Just because the problem is ubiquitous doesn’t mean Jeep is doing anything effective. I believe there was a problem in production affecting a significant number, but not all 2019 Unlimited Rubicons, and Jeep is hoping new owners will give up. They don’t want to buy back or exchange so many flawed vehicles and they have no viable solution that does not require heavily modifying the vehicle. They are trying to engineer a part that will help (so far, a longer control arm) but this does not solve the problem. Only a bandaid that doesn’t cure.

Sponsored

Razz589

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl
I test drove my first Jeep yesterday a 2020 JLUR, I was shocked at how it wondered all over the road. Dealer said it would get better with more miles on it, I laughed. Can’t understand how anyone would accept what I experienced during my test drive for a daily driver.

jamesj242003

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1998 Mercedes ML320, 1998 BMW 528iA, 2002 BMW 325xi

I have a fully loaded stock 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (4-Door) that was built on Feb. 19, 2019. After reducing the factory tire pressure down from 44 psi to 35 psi, the wandering both to the left and right disappeared entirely. Drove it cross country thereafter hauling a 2,000 lbs trailer. My Wrangler tracks straight, has no play in the steering and does not wander at all since the tire pressure adjustment. Went over many highway expansion joints and rough pavement during my cross country excursion and the steering is still spot on. I am both thankful and relieved.

I have a theory----Since wandering/drifting issues can be tied directly to "AN INHERENT FLAW IN THE GEOMETRY" and have only afflicted some Jeep Wranglers made to date, I truly wonder if a specific production line(s) within the FCA factory has a welding robot computer settings improperly set-up or defined. If so, the front end components will be welded on the "wrong location" of the body/frame, thus causing an AN INHERENT FLAW IN THE GEOMETRY. If FCA tabulates all the Jeep Wranglers with AN INHERENT FLAW IN THE GEOMETRY (or wandering/drifting issues) and determine the exact production line(s) these problem Jeep Wranglers were made, there may indeed be some correlation. It is difficult to imagine that only a small percentage of Jeep Wranglers do not track straight, while the substantial majority do. So, it simply is not an issue of lacking know-how on the part of FCA. It's the execution of that know-how that is flawed somewhere on one or more of their production lines.

Last edited:

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a theory----Since wandering/drifting issues can be tied directly to "AN INHERENT FLAW IN THE GEOMETRY" and have only afflicted some Jeep Wranglers made to date, I truly wonder if a specific production line(s) within the FCA factory has a welding robot computer settings improperly set-up or defined. If so, the front end components will be welded on the "wrong location" of the body/frame, thus causing an AN INHERENT FLAW IN THE GEOMETRY. If FCA tabulates all the Jeep Wranglers with AN INHERENT FLAW IN THE GEOMETRY (or wandering/drifting issues) and determine the exact production line(s) these problem Jeep Wranglers were made, there may indeed be some correlation. It is difficult to imagine that only a small percentage of Jeep Wranglers do not track straight, while the substantial majority do. So, it simply is not an issue of lacking know-how on the part of FCA. It's the execution of that know-how that is flawed somewhere on one or more of their production lines.
Makes sense. To verify, can someone identify the specific places to measure? Then several JL owners could report their measurements for comparison.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Makes sense. To verify, can someone identify the specific places to measure? Then several JL owners could report their measurements for comparison.
My 19 JL Sport (2dr) steers perfect, tell me where I need to measure and it could be a baseline.

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
My 19 JL Sport (2dr) steers perfect, tell me where I need to measure and it could be a baseline.
Unless you have one of these and the associated equipment there is no point to measuring: http://www.staraliner.com/. A tape measure and driveway will not be accurate enough.
Sponsored