Sponsored

Any reports of issues with steering in the 2019s?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara 2019
It sounds like the Jeep just isn't for you. Its a huge brick on solid axles with no aerodynamics to speak of. They're incredibly loud compared to any other vehicle, and wind will blow you from one lane to another. That has been the case for generations. The steering issues with the JL are new however, and if what you are experiencing is a real issue, take it to the dealer and have it fixed. Try not to be too disappointed if they tell you that it is normal though. When you say "wobbles", which axis are you referring to? Tilting rapidly from left to right? bumping up and down? Fore/aft? Or just drifting in your lane of traffic?
I think it may be the air pressure in the tires that is too high. Basically I can’t keep the car straight without putting in a lot of effort. It keeps swaying to the left and right and I have to be cautious not to end up in the next lane. And every once in a while (when it’s windy I guess) it tends to jump to the parallel lanes and it’s very violent. I get that’s it’s a jeep but at this point it’s a safety concern. I’m a pretty solid driver and I’ve driven all sorts of cars. SUVs, sports cars, vans, trucks, 30+ year old cars etc. I’ve never had this sort of experience on the highway with a car though. Especially if the vehicle has capabilities like cruise control. For something this unstable, it would make no sense unless there is a problem present like the numberous amounts of people have reported, many that have owned numerous jeeps in the past.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Again, to go along with the other 75000 threads on this topic, before you guys start jacking around with your hardware you need to have the dealership check your software. Make sure your calibrations are proper for your vehicle. In the beginning of all this a lot of us had our issues corrected with a simple software flash. I was one of them. Steering went from wandering all over the highway to driving correctly in less than an hour.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
No problem just sounded from your post that way. Several people have complained their tires still have the 40+ psi from the factory. Dealers should check as part of their prep.
Yup - mine was the same way, had to let about 5 psi out all around after picking it up just to get it down to the recommended level.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Did you see any noticeable changes after that?
A little bit. When the tires were over-pressure it would bounce and wiggle a bit when hitting bumps and joints on roads (nothing crazy but noticeable). Don't think it has done it since I let some air out.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Also: Tire pressure has NOTHING to do with this. Looseness in the steering wheel and "dead spot" in the steering travel is not something that relates to tire pressure.

Tire pressure can affect a lot of things. How far you have to turn your steering wheel to get the wheels to respond isn't one of them.

You can set your tires to 25 PSI, or 35, or 50. It's still going to wander all over the road. If you have this problem it's an issue that needs to be corrected at the dealership.

DIRKS

First Name
David Beischer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Again, to go along with the other 75000 threads on this topic, before you guys start jacking around with your hardware you need to have the dealership check your software. Make sure your calibrations are proper for your vehicle. In the beginning of all this a lot of us had our issues corrected with a simple software flash. I was one of them. Steering went from wandering all over the highway to driving correctly in less than an hour.
There is no software update for 2019s (yet).

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
OP, definitely try letting some air out of the tires. When I drove my daughter's 2018 JL home from the dealer I could barely keep it in my lane and it wasn't my first time driving a Wrangler. There was no dead spot or looseness in the steering wheel. I checked the tires at home and they were 42-43 psi. I took them down to about 36-37 psi, and neither she nor I have had any wandering issues in the 6 months since then.

I know this doesn't address everyone who's having steering issues, but in my case it worked.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
I should have also underlined NOTHING.

I know because in addition to the 20 4x4s on dozens of various tires I've played with over the years, I've also driven 3 separate JLU models that all exhibited the exact same steering issue discussed in this thread, and I played with tire pressure from 26 PSI all the way up to 45 PSI with absolutely zero change in the steering issue, which makes sense considering that how much air is in your tires doesn't determine how your vehicle software controls your vehicle, or how your mechanical steering box operates, or whether your steering stabilizer is leaking or not.

Some people think an air compressor and valve stem tool is a magic wand that cures all ails. I don't understand it. I guess it's just a lack of general automotive knowledge. :facepalm:

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara 2019
I should have also underlined NOTHING.

I know because in addition to the 20 4x4s on dozens of various tires I've played with over the years, I've also driven 3 separate JLU models that all exhibited the exact same steering issue discussed in this thread, and I played with tire pressure from 26 PSI all the way up to 45 PSI with absolutely zero change in the steering issue, which makes sense considering that how much air is in your tires doesn't determine how your vehicle software controls your vehicle, or how your mechanical steering box operates, or whether your steering stabilizer is leaking or not.

Some people think an air compressor and valve stem tool is a magic wand that cures all ails. I don't understand it. I guess it's just a lack of general automotive knowledge. :facepalm:
Do you have an idea of what may be the most probable cause in my case (2019 JLU) ?

Blues

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I keep reading responses to the steering wobble such as; drive it and see if you get used to it; maybe a jeep isn't for you; Calling it a death wobble is now a catch phrase and not an accurate description. My JLU has just over 5000 miles and has a wobble. Still stock tires, driven in the woods and fields but no rocks or really rough terrain. It wobbles if at 65mph+ and I hit a rough spot on the highway. I'm over 70, driven a bunch of different vehicles over the years, traded my JKU in on the JLU. My JLU wobbles. About 20 years ago I had a vehicle that went into a "death wobble". It made my throat hurt, my chest hurt, my stomach hurt, my head hurt, and my arms and thighs turned black and blue for a week, and I could no way keep it in my lane. My JLU has a wobble. Give the new drivers/owners a break as they try to describe what they are experiencing. A brand new vehicle should not have a wobble when it hits a bad spot in the pavement with stock wheels, tires and no changes to the suspension. The shop has fixed the software problem, stopped the engine from smoking and replaced the radiator. I'm hoping that they'll fix the wobble, but so far they have only put in the report that maybe I'm not used to the stiff suspension of a jeep. My dash cam is now moved to record the steering wheel, which "wobbles with the front end.

punknking

First Name
Chrus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
buying JLU soon
Death wobble = bad, really bad needs corrected

floaty on the highway...every jeep I've owned

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Isn’t it terrible how some people just disregard these real issues...!!!
They’re real. I’ve driven a friend of mines 2018 JKU it was absolutely terrible drifting everywhere had a hold hard to the right then hard to the left it was so stupid. Dealer looked at it then they bought the vehicle back, sucked ass!!

DIRKS

First Name
David Beischer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
To all those hoping that the "wandering" steering issue will be fixed for 2019, I can tell you that it's not.
I have 600 miles on my '19 JLUR about 50/50% town and highway driving and it's fine under 40 mph, but on the highway I'm always chasing it to stay in my lane. This is my 8th Jeep from CJ5 through JK and my new box stock JLUR is more of a hand full at times than some of the older lifted ones. Disappointing to say the least.
I need to requote your post here. I hope it will prevent the next dumbass from posting 1. that all Jeeps wander... or 2. it’s a Jeep thing and
3. the Jeep probably isn’t the right vehicle for you....and my favorite
4. This is just hype from first time Jeep owners.
Sponsored

Last edited: