Sponsored

Any reports of issues with steering in the 2019s?

DIRKS

First Name
David Beischer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
... my Jeep is back at the dealer as of 7:30am. Dealer is aware of the starcase and expects Jeep Engineering to call them this afternoon.

They gave me a 2018 JK to drive as a loaner that steers straight & effortless- exactly as my 2019 should.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Heavenly_bebe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB
HI EVERYONE! I’m a first time Jeep owner, picked up a 2019 MOAB from Houston and drove 334 miles home to Louisiana last night. It was the most scariest drive in my life. The loose steering paired with rain had me sweating bullets. I called the dealership I bought it from to inform him about the steering, asked if he’s ever heard of an issue and he claimed he’s never heard. Of course, he would say that. All the while... search loose steering and it’s all on YouTube and forums.. anywho.. I sure hope there’s a fix for it.. I only owned a Jeep for a full day and I’m already regretting it. I was so looking forward to all the fun I could have with it.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Picked up my 2019 JLUR, last Friday. Thus, far it has logged some 560 miles. Took it up to the snow, last Sunday. Took it out on some mild trails this past week. Mixed miles have been 70/30 hwy/city. Thus far, the steering has been spot on with respect to tracking a line on the highways. Does quite well through high speed turns.

I will be taking my JLUR to San Diego and San Francisco. Will report back after my trip.
How was the drive on your trip? Did you drive on Highway 1? How was the steering?

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Picked up my JLUR from Peterson's in Idaho just before Christmas. Drove 714 miles back home to California without issue. A little over 1000 miles, and steering still feels good. A little "wandering" on the freeway, but nothing I would call excessive.

xcantuaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
HI EVERYONE! I’m a first time Jeep owner, picked up a 2019 MOAB from Houston and drove 334 miles home to Louisiana last night. It was the most scariest drive in my life. The loose steering paired with rain had me sweating bullets. I called the dealership I bought it from to inform him about the steering, asked if he’s ever heard of an issue and he claimed he’s never heard. Of course, he would say that. All the while... search loose steering and it’s all on YouTube and forums.. anywho.. I sure hope there’s a fix for it.. I only owned a Jeep for a full day and I’m already regretting it. I was so looking forward to all the fun I could have with it.
Try driving thru the mountains of Colorado on slippery roads......I had like 5 heart attacks.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Check out all the steering complaints on NHTSA website. 330 steering complaints reported. Steering complaints make up 75% of total complaints. Toledo we have a problem.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/JEEP/WRANGLER/SUV/4WD%2520Later%2520Release

Feel free to add your complaint to the list.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Oh and as for 2019. Two complaints filed so far. Both steering related...go figure. That’s 100% of a small sample size (2), but not a good trend to start.

Not a peep from FCA or their dealers. I guess it will require another high profile celebrity fatality before Jeep takes any action. Sad.

DIRKS

First Name
David Beischer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Check out all the steering complaints on NHTSA website. 330 steering complaints reported. Steering complaints make up 75% of total complaints. Toledo we have a problem.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/JEEP/WRANGLER/SUV/4WD%2520Later%2520Release

Feel free to add your complaint to the list.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Oh and as for 2019. Two complaints filed so far. Both steering related...go figure. That’s 100% of a small sample size (2), but not a good trend to start.

Not a peep from FCA or their dealers. I guess it will require another high profile celebrity fatality before Jeep takes any action. Sad.
All the dangerous wandering means that your Jeep is “operating completely normal” according to my (and many other) dealer(s). Loosely translated, this means “we have no idea how to fix it and don’t book a single hour to chase factory defects until Jeep tags a universal root cause”.

From all the evidence and my own experience thus far, Jeep Cares does not actually “Care” and FCA seems to be waiting for the affected Jeep Community to either accept it or finish their R&D for them.

Plenty of pages to sift through on what guys have done to address it themselves. Unfortunately, it’s not a universal recipe yet.

RubiZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This thread makes me think if I should just refuse delivery all together and get a different vehicle.

zamboniman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Don't understand why this is so hard.. it's got to be a result of a few things that should be easy to validate.
1. Fundamental geometry issue
2. Mechanical slop somewhere or multiple places
3. Possibly some software issues (or likely software isn't helping trying to correct for 1 and/or 2)

2 should be something that can be validated in a few minutes on a rack with 2 people.

DIRKS

First Name
David Beischer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
This thread makes me think if I should just refuse delivery all together and get a different vehicle.
Drive yours when it arrives. I test drove mine 2 miles to go fill it with gas and mistakingly never hit the freeway where I would have noticed right away.

Many report no issue, or at least acceptable steering. You could be lucky and get a good one.

Sponsored

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
My 19 is flawless...as expected. How many JL's on the road now?? Around 300K plus. 99.95% have zero issues. Those that do have the warranty. Let your dealer handle it. You do have a great relationship with your dealer don't you? If you don't, you should.

Last edited:

RubiZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Drive yours when it arrives. I test drove mine 2 miles to go fill it with gas and mistakingly never hit the freeway where I would have noticed right away.

Many report no issue, or at least acceptable steering. You could be lucky and get a good one.
I will definitely take it on a nice highway drive before signing any papers.

bayou girl

First Name
Sallye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal JLR
My 2dr JLR has 630 miles on it now with no problems, steering is tight and straight both at highway speeds and around town, even down awful Louisiana roads.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
My 2019 2 door Rubicon has about 1300 miles on it. No issues, and there shouldn't be after that many miles. It is important to remember there are lots of JLs out there without any issues. It is unfortunate that some out there do, hopefully none develop long term in mine. I did lower tire air pressure from 42 (from the factory) to about 37 (factory recommended). Longest drive I have done so far was about two hours highway each way (Philadelphia area to Northern NJ). I probably averaged 75-80mph most of that trip. I didn't feel unsafe at all, I was more worried about my antenna whipping around all over the place. It is also my first Wrangler (although I drove my brothers YJ occasionally in the early 90s).

StovallH

First Name
Hyman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Forester
I have a 2019 and this is my first Wrangler. The steering felt very loose at first until I got use to it after a few miles. It’s very sensitive to any kind of input unlike my former 2017 1500 Ram truck. But I drive it without any problems now...feels normal to me. I just learned to not over correct too quickly if it did wander a little.
Sponsored