Sponsored

Any reports of issues with steering in the 2019s?

SpringsJL

First Name
Cage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
X026M3 it was very easy to compress when removed. There was a tiny drill hole in it not sure if that’s normal or not. Thanks for info!
Sponsored

OhioJeep1149

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
So what is the best tire pressure to be at cold? I’m at 37 and haven’t noticed a improvement. I do only have 100 miles on my 19 JLU but figured the drop in pressure would help.

Should I go lower? What is the low point to where I will get the TPMS sensor warning?

Thanks

SpringsJL

First Name
Cage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
Drop it 5psi see how you like it. Mines set at 27psi with 35s with warning light always on.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
2019 jluss is spot on with about 200 miles...mostly highway at 75mph or higher. Loving the Goodyear at....so much better than the b
Crappy bridgestones on my 2018.

Jeeps ship at around 51psi so they don't get loose in transit. Many dealers forget to drop the air. I run at 30 to 36psi. 33 I like best.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Those with 2019 steering problems, don't forget to go to the https://www.nhtsa.gov/ website like 2018 owners have done to report the steering problems. This will help FCA prioritize to produce a fix.

Sponsored

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
Ours was wandering a bit when we picked it up... 42 plus PSI in the tires. Reduced them to the recommended 37, been right as rain since then.

porcusRex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
PSC is coming out with a replacement for the steering box. Im curious as folks start to replace their boxes with aftermarket stuff (redneck ram also has a modification to the wrangler steering setup)

NeoMaximuz

First Name
Abraham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Unlimited Rubicon JL
I picked up my 2019 JLUR last Thursday and I drove it home about 400 miles. I'm still impressed at how well this thing handles, and how it's nowhere near as noisy as I was expecting, and that's considering the drive home was through some very strong winds.

bangersjeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
To all those hoping that the "wandering" steering issue will be fixed for 2019, I can tell you that it's not.
I have 600 miles on my '19 JLUR about 50/50% town and highway driving and it's fine under 40 mph, but on the highway I'm always chasing it to stay in my lane. This is my 8th Jeep from CJ5 through JK and my new box stock JLUR is more of a hand full at times than some of the older lifted ones. Disappointing to say the least.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
2019 JLUR with 80 miles on it.

If you have driven vehicles with a steering box and solid axle, you might not think anything is wrong. If you have had a rack and pinion and A-arms... This thing is all over the road.

Mine is not bad, to me it could use more caster to hold it in the lane better ( at speeds above 50mph ).

Things I have played with:

1. Tire psi drop to 32-35 psi. ( this hepls @ speeds above 50mph )
2. next is to get it alignment ( find out the toe and caster ) If not enough positive, then will try bolts from JK or other to make it adjustable for positive caster.

Sponsored

DIRKS

First Name
David Beischer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
To all those hoping that the "wandering" steering issue will be fixed for 2019, I can tell you that it's not.
I have 600 miles on my '19 JLUR about 50/50% town and highway driving and it's fine under 40 mph, but on the highway I'm always chasing it to stay in my lane. This is my 8th Jeep from CJ5 through JK and my new box stock JLUR is more of a hand full at times than some of the older lifted ones. Disappointing to say the least.
Agreed- I have 550 on my ‘19 Stock JLUR, probably 30% highway miles this far.

2 weeks ago, I handed my Jeep service writer the star case from October...they didn’t drive my Jeep, or check the ball joint torque or the alignment... they just ordered the steering dampener and told me I had “death wobble” - even though the star case I gave them describes erratic steering and symptoms consistent with my complaints - which is NOT death wobble.

I tried opening a case with Jeep cares via PM here before my appointment, but they didn’t get back to me over the weekend. So I called Jeep cares on the way to my appointment, but they have a 24/48 hour SLA for escalation. An hour later, the new dampener was in and the service writer was adamant it was fixed.

Drove home, and hit the freeway to test it out. Guess what - It’s the same. Now waiting for the case manager from Jeep cares to get back to me so I can take next steps.

In the mean time, I’ll try going from 35 psi to 32 psi on the tires today.

Last edited:

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
3. All of the above steering related parts are also showing good for 2018 - 2020, except the following parts are n/a for 2020, which means there will probably be different part numbers for these 3 steering related components in 2020:
a. Left knuckle
b. Right knuckle
c. Ball Joints
This is great info. With '19 apparently being a short model year (based on @JlEngineline 's production calendar that had 2019 production ending in July), I think I'll let the dust settle on this steering issue and consider a 2020, which will hopefully also offer the 3.6+BSG+6mt combo I've been waiting for.

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
So what is the best tire pressure to be at cold? I’m at 37 and haven’t noticed a improvement. I do only have 100 miles on my 19 JLU but figured the drop in pressure would help.

Should I go lower? What is the low point to where I will get the TPMS sensor warning?

Thanks
I am running my 35s at 30psi and everything is perfect. I originally got the TPMS warning at anything below 29psi.. but I reset the threshold to 20psi with a flashcal.

grapejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
2019 JLUR that I picked up Saturday and now have 170 miles of mostly highway miles. Only issue I had was some wandering but lowered the tire pressure down to 38 and it goes straight down the road now. Hit some bumps and expansion joints and steering wheel barely vibrated. I'll keep paying attention but so far so good imo.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
I’ve had my 2-door 2019 a little over a month now 1005 miles, no issues and steers fine, no extra effort to drive than any other vehicle I’ve ever driven.

But, being on here, the radar is definitely up to try and detect any of these issues. Going down the highway, my son crinkled his water bottle, I flinched and thought the windshield was cracking, but it was just the water bottle.
Sponsored