Any regrets with your JLU purchase?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
To me, I find that modern sharp cutoff headlights have supplanted the usefulness of actual fog lights. So, I have installed extreme high powered driving lights in their location and find them useful in certain isolated driving conditions.
What are you using for driving lights in the OEM fog light location? TIA.

Everyone that has the 2.0 is going to tell you it’s the best and everyone that has the 3.6 is going to tell you it’s the best.
As well they should. ;)

That's how their money was spent; one hopes they have faith in their decision.
My only check I would do is I THINK the 2.0 demands 91+
The Owner's Manual allows 87 for the 2.0T, but recommends 91 or better for maximum performance. The latter could include towing, for example.

I went to dealer today to compare the sound systems, but all they had were gladiators left...they sold the 7 JLU's they had on lot in the last 2 weeks...
My salesman told me that their new Wrangler lot inventory is usually sold no later than one week after being unloaded from the truck. 3-4 days is the running average, sometimes less during the warmest months. These aren't Sports, either; most are Rubicons and Saharas, with the occasional Willys in the mix. Said differently, there's no shortage of $50K+ window stickers.

The last time I was there, there were two $62K Gladiator Mojaves, also.
Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
That was actually one of the reasons i didn't get the LEDs in my build. Tacky.
To each their own I guess. I've had aftermarket halo kits on other cars and some of those early kits were tacky.

The set up on my JL looks pretty damn good, IMHO.

Storey21

First Name
Trish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4 door
For me, LEDs were a must. They’re great. You will not regret it

Alpine stereo is great. The 8.4 allows for a lot of cool features.

Safety packages, get them both. I originally didn’t want them, but ended up with a jeep that had it. I was pleasantly surprised when my insurance costs were $80 a month cheaper. It pays for itself within 2 years

Get the tow package if just for the aux switches.

NomadicTaco

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
For me, LEDs were a must. They’re great. You will not regret it

Alpine stereo is great. The 8.4 allows for a lot of cool features.

Safety packages, get them both. I originally didn’t want them, but ended up with a jeep that had it. I was pleasantly surprised when my insurance costs were $80 a month cheaper. It pays for itself within 2 years

Get the tow package if just for the aux switches.
Sounds like you have the jeep I am looking for! Every Jeep around here is missing 1 of those options. It seems there is a severe shortage of the advanced safety group on lots. If they have it, its missing something else like the Aux switches.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Thumbs up on the factory LED’s from me too. They light up the road beautifully.
The only negative (which I learned in this great forum) is they produce no heat so if you take the Jeep through a snow storm you get a build up on them.

Sponsored

Atom631

First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
about three months of cold nights so not really necessary but I do enjoy the heated seats in my other cars and you can’t get remote start without it also...
I could live without, but I’d rather have it...
I ordered a JLUR with just remote start. You don’t need to order it with the cold weather package.

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Yea get the LEDs, that is unless you have ambitions on swapping those with a higher end aftermarket solution (KC, Quake, etc).

Everything is super easy to work on in the JL; tons of them have been made, ridiculous amounts of aftermarket, on line support (this forum). Not too many quality issues in my personal experience. (Some small things still occur: bubbles under the paint on door hinges, etc).

I know people my strongly disagree with me on this, but I would also wait (if you can) to see what the new Ford Bronco looks and drives like, but that comes with a lot of new production risks, still might be worth it.

Finally, the JL is not a hauler or tow king by any means, sea-doo pair sure, but man, even a couple bags of river rock in the back for the garden will make this thing squat; I’m sure there are aftermarket solutions out there, just know from stock it’s not the best.

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
SoCal below Idyllwild mountains S.W. side.
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubican
Occupation
Self Sufficient
Skip your plan for aftermarket LED’s and get the factory installed LED package. You’ll save yourself from potential electrical issues
I went with the aftermarket LEDs front, rear, blinker and marker lights. Zero problems and $1500 saved. The blinker install was the only challenge.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I went with the aftermarket LEDs front, rear, blinker and marker lights. Zero problems and $1500 saved. The blinker install was the only challenge.
Huh? So they paid you to install aftermarket lights? The option is only $1365 (at MSRP) What did you pay for all those LEDs? What is an average labor cost even if performed by yourself as your time is worth something? Then If you really want to get into the niddy gritty one could say that they didn’t even pay full retail to Jeep for the option. You could also say you get a longer warranty on factory LEDs and then even speculate that resale is better with factory LED then aftermarket. You didn’t save that much.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Huh? So they paid you to install aftermarket lights? The option is only $1365 (at MSRP) What did you pay for all those LEDs? What is an average labor cost even if performed by yourself as your time is worth something? Then If you really want to get into the niddy gritty one could say that they didn’t even pay full retail to Jeep for the option. You could also say you get a longer warranty on factory LEDs and then even speculate that resale is better with factory LED then aftermarket. You didn’t save that much.
I didn’t save squat.

My JL didn’t have factory LEDs. It did have Safety Group, though, which includes the rear LEDs.

This is what took to upgrade just the front to LEDs:
  1. $900 for Mopar LED headlamps —incl. shipping. Took 20 minutes to install.
  2. $250 to install the necessary wiring for the halos. Them halos are the real bitch; they require a separate wiring harness to be laid from the headlamps, along the passenger-side front fender, under the auxiliary battery and through the firewall. it took 2.5 hours of professional labor from the local auto audio shop
  3. $329 for the Tazer to activate the halos. If you don’t want to buy a Tazer, the dealer is going to charge you $100-$150 to activate them
  4. $250 for two used LED turn signals I got from a fellow forum member; otherwise, they are $500 for a new pair. Swapping the turn signals and wiring harness was no picnic either. Took me 1.5 hours on each side, and a lot of fiddling in very constrained spaces.
  5. $250 for two OE LED foglamps. In my case, I got the LED fogs included with the Mopar steel bumper
When you add it all up, you are looking at anywhere between $1,500 and $1,800, plus countless hours, just for all the front lights to match. By contrast, the entire factory LED Group, front AND rear, is $1,200; even less with your JL MSRP discount.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Take this for what it is worth, but he said he sees more issues with the V6's and hardly sees 2.0's for any engine issues....
To be fair, the 3.6 V6 has been in production for 11 years now, and FCA has dropped it into everything: Grand Cherokees, JKs, Journeys, Durangos, Caravans, Pacificas, Chargers, Challengers, 200s, 300s, Rams, JLs and JTs.

The 2.0T has been in production for 5 years and, until it was added to JL, it was used only on slow sellers like Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio.

So, yes, by probabilities alone, he is going to see a LOT more V6s come in.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
No regrets when I bought it. No regrets during ownership. Will have no regrets when I sell it (currently listed on here and locally.) it’s been a great vehicle overall but not my favorite over the years and probably won’t think much about it after it’s gone.

OP
OP
SoCal

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
To be fair, the 3.6 V6 has been in production for 11 years now, and FCA has dropped it into everything: Grand Cherokees, JKs, Journeys, Durangos, Caravans, Pacificas, Chargers, Challengers, 200s, 300s, Rams, JLs and JTs.

The 2.0T has been in production for 5 years and, until it was added to JL, it was used only on slow sellers like Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio.

So, yes, by probabilities alone, he is going to see a LOT more V6s come in.

thats' what I thought too, but made sure he was just referring to the JL's...He said the V6's seem to have more issues with leaking heads and hardly ever sees the 2.0 in there with engine issues.
but still doesn't really prove anything as this was just one mechanics experience , like I said take it for what it is worth.

OP
OP
SoCal

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
No regrets when I bought it. No regrets during ownership. Will have no regrets when I sell it (currently listed on here and locally.) it’s been a great vehicle overall but not my favorite over the years and probably won’t think much about it after it’s gone.

just curious as to why you are selling if you don't mind?
Sponsored