Sponsored

Any regrets on trading in a truck for a jeep.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I have a 2011 Silverado Z71 I have never owned a jeep but I have always wanted one. So my question would be has anybody traded in a truck for a jeep and regretted it. I dont pull anything and I use my bed a very few times but it does come in handy. Thanks in advance for any answers.
I traded a 2013 F-150 Supercrew 4x4 for my JL Wrangler. Nearly 8,000 miles later I've only missed the truck once. However, I do have a 6.5' x 12' utility trailer that I use frequently, so that may play into my lack of wishing for a truck again.

I will say that the truck was FAR more practical, comfortable, and useful overall. But there's just something about a Wrangler.....
Sponsored

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I didn't trade my truck in on a Jeep but a car and yes I regret it every time I need to haul something!!!

JeepSerenity

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
The only "complaint" is now imI not forced to help my friends move that don't have trucks haha

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Miss the bed every once in a while. I do not miss the lack of visibility in heavy traffic.

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I sold a very solid and good 07' 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison truck. with under 100k miles on it. I was able to sell it this August used for 17,500. Diesels hold their value very well.

Do I miss it, hell yes but honestly that truck sat in the driveway months at a time and the south texas sun was starting to bake all the plastic inside. I used it just to tow our RV and that was like twice a year. I do miss having the ability of having a truck so I may buy a crappy used gas full size truck to do the dirty work. My JL is my daily driver and all around fun vehicle.

chris1374

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon (Ordered 10/24)
That's one of those things you keep in your circle of friends. Always make sure you have a friend with a boat, a friend with a pool, and a friend a truck! hahaha

OP
OP

Mcross003

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Chevy Silverado
I sold a very solid and good 07' 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison truck. with under 100k miles on it. I was able to sell it this August used for 17,500. Diesels hold their value very well.

Do I miss it, hell yes but honestly that truck sat in the driveway months at a time and the south texas sun was starting to bake all the plastic inside. I used it just to tow our RV and that was like twice a year. I do miss having the ability of having a truck so I may buy a crappy used gas full size truck to do the dirty work. My JL is my daily driver and all around fun vehicle.
When I buy one it will be my daily driver also. I very rarely use my truck to pull anything or use the bed.

Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Went from Ram Mega cab 3500 to JRUL, Sure is a lot easier to find a parking place these days. Loved the truck and used it but wanted to get back in a wrangler. Just use my utility trailer more often now.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I kept my 2015 f150. It was paid for and I use it for truck stuff. So I bought a new 2 door Wrangler to keep from driving the wheels off the truck.

mark203

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys XR
Clubs

I had a 23 year old Toyota pickup - the model before the Tacoma, with 280,000 miles on it. Everything was in great shape except the 6V was ready to give up the ghost at any minute and needed a rebuild.

I test drove a JL, and the same afternoon, test drove a new Tacoma. It was a nice truck on paper, but it just felt too big and awkward for my preferences. If I wanted a full size truck, I would have looked at one.

I bought the Jeep, and haven't had as much fun just driving something since my days in Germany when I had a (new at the time) 1986 944 Porsche. Obviously fun for different reasons, but if you think about it neither it nor the Jeep is designed with "practical" as #1 on the list of attributes. They are optimized for different things.

My wife and I have a saying: "When you need a truck, nothing else will do." And perhaps when her SUV is ready she will get a compact pickup to replace it. We aren't looking that far into the future right now, and as someone has already said, if I need to haul a load of gravel home from Home Depot, they will rent a truck to me pretty cheap to do it.

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
So my question would be has anybody traded in a truck for a jeep and regretted it.
Yes, 3-4 times a year. When I need to haul something that won't fit in the Jeep, I rent a U-Haul trailer. All other times I enjoy the agility of a 2-door Jeep.

Duluth Diesel

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy’s Sport
Kept the Ram. Added a Wrangler Willy’s Sport soft top manual. Need them both!
Sponsored