Sponsored

Any regrets on buying the 4xE?

jkk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 4 Door Sport Unlimited
Just wondering if anyone has buyers remorse on the 4xE. I’m currently in a 2021 JLUR 2.0T and looking to upgrade to the 4xE. What draws me to the 4XE is that I can basically sell my JLUR and step into the 4xE for the same monthly payment. However I’m concerned that the powertrain on the 4xE will leave me unsatisfied. I’m a spirited driver and enjoy weaving in and out of traffic at times. Does driving the 4xE make anyone with the had a regular gas vehicle ???
Sponsored

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
No regrets here. Sold my 2018 JLU Sahara 3.6 for what I paid for it after 36 months. Purchased a 2021 4xe Rubicon. My favorite improvements:
  • Reduced noise, vibration, harshness
  • 4H Auto is perfect for NH winters
  • 375 HP / 470 lb-ft Torque (use 4H Auto for full access to HP/Torque)
  • Heavier weight gives a more planted feel (less top-heavy with rack/RTT)
  • $7,500 tax credit
  • Improved MPG in all situations - except long highway trips
  • Ability to use electric only around town, or on short trips
You mention being a ”spirited driver”: Your HP will jump from 270HP to 375HP. Your torque will jump from 295 lb-ft to 470 lb-ft. Granted, you‘ll have the weight penalty of the hybrid system, but the net effect will be a faster Jeep. Coming from the 3.6L, it was a significant improvement. When you really get on it, it’s downright fun. And since you enjoy “weaving in and out of traffic at times”, having that extra weight down low will give you a lower center of gravity.

Do spend some time on this forum reading about winter issues - especially if you don’t have a garage. It’s still only in its second model year, so they are still working out the bugs.

lindaspins

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
That's the last thing you'll worry about with the 4xe. I never though a Jeep would make me giggle like an idiot on the highway, but this one does. No regrets.

bossboy302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Not a one. 3000 flawless miles. Just starting in on 5th tank of gas (includes 1 from the dealer). Sure there is a cost to charge, but I'm using 1/2 the gas of 3.6 JK. Plus the power is great. My advice-recognize that the 4xe is a PHEV, and not an EV. Set it in "Hybrid" mode and drive it. Attempts to over-manipulate the drivetrain seem to be common to many with issues.

Brandonhgt

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
The 4xe has exhilarating acceleration when you floor it. The power overmatches the chassis ability to corner and brake it. In a straight line it will launch very nicely.

It is by no means agile and compared to actual sports cars it will not be as fun zipping in and out of traffic. The battery does help with weight distribution and a lower center of gravity. It depends on what you are used to driving before.

As for wranglers, there are no faster options beside the 392. The 3.6 and 2.0 are not in the same performance range as the 4xe.

Sponsored

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Well . . . . don't know about the 4XE, but you might want to rethink your driving habits. Especially the "weaving in and out of traffic" part. Just sayin'.

G.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
No regrets at all. Will turn 7000 miles on the way home. It has done well in all aspects. Runs great. Handles surprisingly well. Feels very nimble despite the weight. Has done all I've asked it to and more.

Beardedgator

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBICON
i'm thinking about making the purchase. I'm nervous though. I've never owned a hybrid. Are people going to be scared of working on this 5 years down the road? I hate using dealership for any service.. even warranty work.

who am i kidding.. i'll be in another vehicle in 5 years lol

rdk5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep 392
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

No regrets here. Sold my 2018 JLU Sahara 3.6 for what I paid for it after 36 months. Purchased a 2021 4xe Rubicon. My favorite improvements:
  • Reduced noise, vibration, harshness
  • 4H Auto is perfect for NH winters
  • 375 HP / 470 lb-ft Torque (use 4H Auto for full access to HP/Torque)
  • Heavier weight gives a more planted feel (less top-heavy with rack/RTT)
  • $7,500 tax credit
  • Improved MPG in all situations - except long highway trips
  • Ability to use electric only around town, or on short trips
You mention being a ”spirited driver”: Your HP will jump from 270HP to 375HP. Your torque will jump from 295 lb-ft to 470 lb-ft. Granted, you‘ll have the weight penalty of the hybrid system, but the net effect will be a faster Jeep. Coming from the 3.6L, it was a significant improvement. When you really get on it, it’s downright fun. And since you enjoy “weaving in and out of traffic at times”, having that extra weight down low will give you a lower center of gravity.

Do spend some time on this forum reading about winter issues - especially if you don’t have a garage. It’s still only in its second model year, so they are still working out the bugs.

I second this. Almost exactly the same situation with me. I sold my 2019 JLU Rubicon 3.6 for what I paid for and ordered the 2022 4XE Rubicon 5% below invoice, plus the incoming 7500 Tax credit which I will fully take advantage of. To me that is a great deal.

The timing was absolutely perfect, especially with the increase in gas prices. Majority of my trips are under 20 miles and I'm on my 2nd tank (including dealer delivery fill up)

Sponsored

caraholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taycan Turbo, 392XR, 981S, F430
i'm thinking about making the purchase. I'm nervous though. I've never owned a hybrid. Are people going to be scared of working on this 5 years down the road? I hate using dealership for any service.. even warranty work.

who am i kidding.. i'll be in another vehicle in 5 years lol
Personally I would not buy a 4XE but they are great for a lease. I’m not even talking the price incentive of the lease. Just the fact you can use the car and not worry about items breaking in the future. These newer ev vehicles are best in leases not as buys. Questionable longevity/repairs and ever evolving tech doesn’t make sense to buy for me.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Personally I would not buy a 4XE but they are great for a lease. I’m not even talking the price incentive of the lease. Just the fact you can use the car and not worry about items breaking in the future. These newer ev vehicles are best in leases not as buys. Questionable longevity/repairs and ever evolving tech doesn’t make sense to buy for me.
How is a lease any better against financing or buying outright when it comes to stuff breaking in the future? They all have the same warranty except the seperate one for the battery.

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Rubicon XR
I would not buy a 4xe again. These “instant power” arguments are BS. Unless you are in manual mode on the transmission, there is a real lag in pressing the accelator and getting that power. The whole torque argument is wayyyyy over stated as the vehicle does not operate that way except in a very specific circumstance (4 high auto, traction control off, manual mode). Since most people don’t drive around like that, I would call it a gimmick.

Is it fun to drive? Yes. But the stats on HP and torque are exaggerated in the context of normal driving. I’m almost embarrassed when I start pulling levers and hitting buttons to get the full power out of the drivetrain. And I’m honestly a little soured at the moment based on my Jeep’s reliability track record. When you get a CEL that comes from any part of the hybrid system, the system goes into a mode that prevents it from working as stated. For an example,, the CEL that I currently have forces the ICE to run - even with a full charge, at slow speeds. So the fuel savings of using electric mode is worthless and has been for over a month - because the vehicle won’t go into that mode.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
How is a lease any better against financing or buying outright when it comes to stuff breaking in the future? They all have the same warranty except the seperate one for the battery.

My guess is that you can walk away from the lease after the term, but with financing you own the worthless brick.

You might also have a bit more leverage with the leasing company, since you are leasing a vehicle that is not working due to manufacturer defects.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
As someone who bought their 4xe - I would recommend leasing it.

1. It’s first generation technology. On mine alone I’ve had the following issues: Bad charging module, random transmission to park while driving, broken/missing charging pin within wiring, fuel and oil refresh stuck on (the FORM issue). I’ve detailed that experience here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...vehicle-system-service-charging-system.78068/

2. Limited 4xe trained technicians. Local to my area, there’s only one at my nearest trusted dealership. He has limited shop availability (only a day or two a week), and is probably shared among several different dealerships. That means a month of rental car time.

3. Lithium Battery - these have a typical expected capacity loss of 2.5% per year over ten years. Typically lower capacity loss in the early years, and much steeper/notable loss in later years. Most battery warranties only cover a certain threshold, like 60-70%. By leasing it, you effectively make it someone else’s problem.

Personally, I still wake up on occasion on the wrong side of the bed, and consider trading it in for a 4Runner.
Sponsored