Any recommendations for snow chains for a JLU Rubicon

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I need to get a new set of snow chains for my JLU Rubicon and wanted to see if anyone had recommendations.

I spend a lot of time in the Tahoe area, Yosemite and Lassen during the winter and use Peerless Auto-Trac chains on my 2003 Rubicon. I know when I purchased those chains they were recommended due to clearance issues so I thought I would ask for recommendations before I purchased another set.

I know I have 4wd and in most cases that's more then enough but I almost died in a blizzard a few years back and prefer to be a bit over cautious now.

Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored

frankmorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Also interested in this. Just ordered a 2019 JLU Sahara with all season tires - not sure if that would change the recommendation...

OP
OP
James_a

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Yeah, I can’t use any yet. I’ve got 35” tires on mine with no lift and there’s clearance stipulations in the manual about chains. p.470

5C722DCF-0E46-4E4A-8612-310DE2932996.jpeg

Sponsored

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Snow chains? Are you guys serious? Lived in CO for 2 years and never used them. Good set of mud tires and a winch is fine.
I hear you. But...some places (like here in OR), when conditions are "bad enough" (read: more than a few inches of snow), they will sometimes implement a "conditional road closure". When this happens, you could show up in an Abrams tank, but w/o chains they will turn you back. So I, too, will begrudgingly buy a set of chains just for this scenario.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I hear you. But...some places (like here in OR), when conditions are "bad enough" (read: more than a few inches of snow), they will sometimes implement a "conditional road closure". When this happens, you could show up in an Abrams tank, but w/o chains they will turn you back. So I, too, will begrudgingly buy a set of chains just for this scenario.
True. It's a federal law that you have to carry snow chains in Yosemite National Park during the winter - 4WD or no 4WD. That doesn't mean you have to use them though.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

I nearly died on late night black ice, I will always want to have chains available just in case.

Sponsored

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
I nearly died on late night black ice, I will always want to have chains available just in case.
Even tracked vehicles cant traverse black ice confidently....

3uPh0riK

First Name
Christiaan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
I need to get a new set of snow chains for my JLU Rubicon and wanted to see if anyone had recommendations.

I spend a lot of time in the Tahoe area, Yosemite and Lassen during the winter and use Peerless Auto-Trac chains on my 2003 Rubicon. I know when I purchased those chains they were recommended due to clearance issues so I thought I would ask for recommendations before I purchased another set.

I know I have 4wd and in most cases that's more then enough but I almost died in a blizzard a few years back and prefer to be a bit over cautious now.

Any help would be appreciated!
Did you end up getting something? I also need to keep chains in case im driving somewhere that requires them, but cant really figure out what will fit.

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Snow chains? Are you guys serious? Lived in CO for 2 years and never used them. Good set of mud tires and a winch is fine.
In California there have been several instances in the last few years at ski resorts that I frequent where chains were required even on 4x4 vehicles with snow tires due to the conditions. Also they frequently have checkpoints as you are required to carry chains even if you dont need to put them on. You get turned away if you don't have chains in the vehicle.

@James_a I found these are pretty easy to put on and a good backup to just keep in the back of the Jeep, they work fine https://www.amazon.com/Security-Cha...F8&qid=1545150549&sr=8-3&keywords=snow+cables

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
In California there have been several instances in the last few years at ski resorts that I frequent where chains were required even on 4x4 vehicles with snow tires due to the conditions. Also they frequently have checkpoints as you are required to carry chains even if you dont need to put them on. You get turned away if you don't have chains in the vehicle.

@James_a I found these are pretty easy to put on and a good backup to just keep in the back of the Jeep, they work fine https://www.amazon.com/Security-Cha...F8&qid=1545150549&sr=8-3&keywords=snow+cables
Fair enough but no one ever checked and honestly when youre sitting on 37’s and above aired down snow chains offer only marginal advantage if any...
Sponsored