Sponsored

Any recent diesel news...?

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
That was in works before the emissions issue. The emissions issue had to do with software.
The articles I read said Manufacturers are allowed to let the engine put off more emissions for brief times when it would potentially cause the engine to do traumatic damage. Think climbing up a mountain and restricting emissions would cause engine to overheat/go into limit. The issue was FCA expanded that envelope and did not get it retested. EPA says they should have. FCA is now having to fix the expanded window and pay for the violation. Because they were not flat out cheating like VW is why they are still in the diesel business.
Sponsored

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
How about call it what you will just put the damn thing in a Wrangler and offer it.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
That was in works before the emissions issue. The emissions issue had to do with software.
The articles I read said Manufacturers are allowed to let the engine put off more emissions for brief times when it would potentially cause the engine to do traumatic damage. Think climbing up a mountain and restricting emissions would cause engine to overheat/go into limit. The issue was FCA expanded that envelope and did not get it retested. EPA says they should have. FCA is now having to fix the expanded window and pay for the violation. Because they were not flat out cheating like VW is why they are still in the diesel business.
This. All of the original 3.0s can meet EPA requirements with software only. The new tech may allow less DEF to be used and decrease fuel consumption, but neither was necessary to bring the 3.0 back to market. The EPA is almost certainly delaying certification to prove a point to FCA.

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Also just to specify, based on what I read back when I had an ecodiesel there are two parts that get glossed over.

1. Officially the engines never did anything that isn't allowed. Almost any engine is permitted to miss emissions under certain conditions. However; you must disclose any and all conditions this can happen under to the EPA. FCA failed to do this critical part.

2. If FCA is to be believed the software/hardware that is responsible is a package that was outsourced to Bosch. Bosch supposedly failed to disclose these things when FCA submitted all emissions documentation. I have no doubt a large chunk of that 800m is coming from Bosch's pocket book if that's true.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
2. If FCA is to be believed the software/hardware that is responsible is a package that was outsourced to Bosch. Bosch supposedly failed to disclose these things when FCA submitted all emissions documentation. I have no doubt a large chunk of that 800m is coming from Bosch's pocket book if that's true.
... or outsourcing it to Bosch (wink wink nudge nudge) gives FCA someone to blame and FCA pays all of it.

Sponsored

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
@JlEngineline - any recent sightings of diesels going down the line for testing? The wait for any news on it is killing me.

Are they waiting / holding it back as an announce when Ford does the Bronco??

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
... or outsourcing it to Bosch (wink wink nudge nudge) gives FCA someone to blame and FCA pays all of it.
Could be as Bosch was also one of the parties in the whole VW saga as well. It was a Bosch ECU used; and the "cheat" programming was originally suggest/proposed by a Bosch engineer as a way to "get your cake and eat it too" which of course VW management should have resisted. A $22 billion and counting mistake ;)

Perhaps because Bosch is involved on the FCA project as well it is getting extra review and scrutiny.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Agenda 21/UN 2030 is why Diesels are getting so scrutinized and punished; the globalists want to control our mobility and push us into "Smart Cities", thus they gotta get rid of diesel so we're forced into EV's with crappy range and 30-45min "fast charges" that only return 80% of the power

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2019/07/24/reader-question-the-real-reason/

If it weren't for the globalists and EPA, the diesel Jeep would probably of been here sooner and without all the gimptastic tech that'll cripple it's true potential

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
So any news on when the diesels can be ordered?

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
Australia got the 2.2 ecodiesel already in dealerships

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
It’s vaporware until proven otherwise.

Crux

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.0D JLUR ordered
I was told by a CO dealer yesterday that diesel is coming in December. Same report we’ve been hearing - and not confirmed - but somewhat reassuring.

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
The diesel has been available for many years in export markets
Correct, but they got the JL with that engine. i haven't seen or heard of the v6 gas there
Sponsored