multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
So... is the diesel vaporware? I was excited at the prospect of a diesel Jeep but gave up waiting. There have been talks of a diesel Wrangler since before the JK existed and yet here we are, grasping at rumors 12 years later.

I really couldn’t care less at this point because I’m about to be enjoying my Rubicon with the 3.6L. But still, I’ll be very interested to see if a PHEV Wrangler comes out before a diesel.
Sponsored

whit

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU
So... is the diesel vaporware? I was excited at the prospect of a diesel Jeep but gave up waiting. There have been talks of a diesel Wrangler since before the JK existed and yet here we are, grasping at rumors 12 years later.

I really couldn’t care less at this point because I’m about to be enjoying my Rubicon with the 3.6L. But still, I’ll be very interested to see if a PHEV Wrangler comes out before a diesel.
I also got sick of waiting and just got a JLUR with the 3.6L a few weeks ago. I gotta say...I have no regrets at all. This power train is a billion times better than the 3.8L and 42RLE in my '08 JKU.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I also got sick of waiting and just got a JLUR with the 3.6L a few weeks ago. I gotta say...I have no regrets at all. This power train is a billion times better than the 3.8L and 42RLE in my '08 JKU.
Right?! I think my never-ceasing hatred of the JK is approximately 50% due to that horrible engine. My first experience driving the JK was a 2008 2-door manual with the 3.8 and I hated it. I mean, I hated it with the burning passion of a thousand suns. And I didn’t just hop in it for a few minutes off-road, I drove that thing for weeks both on and off road (it was my friend’s and he let me borrow it while out of town). The other 50% of my hatred for the JK is due to its styling, which I’ve always viewed as half-assed and incomplete but I’ll save that for another thread.

I test drove a JL with the 3.6L the other day and was quite impressed. It’s a completely different powertrain than the 3.8.

Jnrscaping

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara
That aligns with the expected timeframe for 1500/JL 3.0s per 5thGenRams. Figure late Summer orders for Fall arrival assuming no further delays at the EPA, which is a terrible assumption based on recent evidence, but all we’ve got at present.
What was the date of this video? Because he said there are currently no plans for the diesel in the gladiator at this point if I heard correctly.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
What was the date of this video? Because he said there are currently no plans for the diesel in the gladiator at this point if I heard correctly.
3/7/19. You misunderstood. Gladiator is definitely getting the diesel (barring EPA denial) and that continues to be part of the press materials from FCA in all of the gladiator reviews hitting the internet over the last few days.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
3/7/19. You misunderstood. Gladiator is definitely getting the diesel (barring EPA denial) and that continues to be part of the press materials from FCA in all of the gladiator reviews hitting the internet over the last few days.
Keep in mind that press materials for JL said it would get the diesel for model year 2019. Which of course, never happened.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep in mind that press materials for JL said it would get the diesel for model year 2019. Which of course, never happened.
Keep in mind that’s the doing of the EPA, not FCA. FCA has always maintained and continues to maintain they will both get the 3.0...upon EPA certification.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Keep in mind that’s the doing of the EPA, not FCA. FCA has always maintained and continues to maintain they will both get the 3.0...upon EPA certification.
And let's not forget the EPA was out of commission for about a month at the end of the year for some reason, same as the FAA (whom Boeing needed to work with to certify the needed software fix for the 737 Max aircraft).

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It’s not the EPA’s fault, that’s just what FCA wants you to think.

Remember that FCA got caught cheating emissions on the 3.0 EcoDiesel. That set back it’s release far more than waiting for certification after the current shutdown.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s not the EPA’s fault, that’s just what FCA wants you to think.

Remember that FCA got caught cheating emissions on the 3.0 EcoDiesel. That set back it’s release far more than waiting for certification after the current shutdown.
That’s rich. I take it you’d like us to believe FCA is not in the business of making money and has self inflicted their lack of a 3.0 Ram 1500 too? I’ve got a fine bridge for sale in Brooklyn if you’re interested.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
That’s rich. I take it you’d like us to believe FCA is not in the business of making money and has self inflicted their lack of a 3.0 Ram 1500 too? I’ve got a fine bridge for sale in Brooklyn if you’re interested.
$800 million penalty was certainly self inflicted. They had to redesign the 3.0 to meet emissions before bringing it back to market.

Nihkole

First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL 3.0 Diesel, 2000 Chevrolet Camaro
$800 million penalty was certainly self inflicted. They had to redesign the 3.0 to meet emissions before bringing it back to market.
Where did you read that they had to redesign the 3.0?

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Where did you read that they had to redesign the 3.0?
"Starting in 2019, the EcoDiesel V6 engine implements new turbocharger technology with a low-friction bearing designed for low-end and transient performance. The upgraded EcoDiesel V6 engine now also features low-friction pistons to improve fuel economy, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide an enhanced combustion system – new injector nozzle, piston bowl, and glow plug with an integrated combustion pressure sensor to optimize combustion."

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
"Starting in 2019, the EcoDiesel V6 engine implements new turbocharger technology with a low-friction bearing designed for low-end and transient performance. The upgraded EcoDiesel V6 engine now also features low-friction pistons to improve fuel economy, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide an enhanced combustion system – new injector nozzle, piston bowl, and glow plug with an integrated combustion pressure sensor to optimize combustion."
Interesting changes but hardly what I would call a "redesign". Sounds more like upgraded parts with newer tech. Unless, of course, when I dropped a different cam in my 'vette's LS1 I "redesigned" it . . . in which case, I'm more awesome than I knew! :LOL: