Sponsored

Any recent diesel news...?

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Just to clarify. Is that your opinion or is it facts you have a source for?
https://autoweek.com/article/trucks/epa-approval-delays-2019-ram-1500-launch

The EPA got pissed when they didn’t have enough evidence re 3.0 emissions tampering to fine FCA like they did VW so EPA has been using delayed certifications as a means of backdoor-fining FCA ever since. You can bet your last dollar FCA would love to have rolled out these options sooner because they are losing both market share and tens of millions in profit without them while all of their competitors offer what the EPA has withheld from FCA’s lineup. If this was simply government inefficiency, it wouldn’t be so obviously targeted at a single company which just so happens to have rubbed the EPA the wrong way.
Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
https://autoweek.com/article/trucks/epa-approval-delays-2019-ram-1500-launch

The EPA got pissed when they didn’t have enough evidence re 3.0 emissions tampering to fine FCA like they did VW so EPA has been using delayed certifications as a means of backdoor-fining FCA ever since. You can bet your last dollar FCA would love to have rolled out these options sooner because they are losing both market share and tens of millions in profit without them while all of their competitors offer what the EPA has withheld from FCA’s lineup. If this was simply government inefficiency, it wouldn’t be so obviously targeted at a single company which just so happens to have rubbed the EPA the wrong way.
Umm, have you read the recent class action? FCA is getting fined 390 million and having to pay owners. It's not quite the settlement that volkswagon got, but it's still going to hurt. And it's not over for them yet. They may have criminal charges thrown on them. And as an ecodiesel owner, we decided to not take the class action and joined the mass tort lawsuit that Stern Law is pursuing. They are going after a full buyback due to outright fraud by FCA to owners and are pushing for a settlement similar to what VW had to pay. This isn't over. They will end up paying a lot more...I hope so, lol, I want to swap our ecodiesel for another JL.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Umm, have you read the recent class action? FCA is getting fined 390 million and having to pay owners. It's not quite the settlement that volkswagon got, but it's still going to hurt. And it's not over for them yet. They may have criminal charges thrown on them. And as an ecodiesel owner, we decided to not take the class action and joined the mass tort lawsuit that Stern Law is pursuing. They are going after a full buyback due to outright fraud by FCA to owners and are pushing for a settlement similar to what VW had to pay. This isn't over. They will end up paying a lot more...I hope so, lol, I want to swap our ecodiesel for another JL.
I’m well aware of the legal actions and fines that are involved with FCA’s 3.0 issues. They will almost certainly amount to a rounding error of the $30+ billion VW has shelled out which is why I made the relative comparison. I’d be shocked if you get a VW-Esque buyback because FCA has the means of bringing the emissions into compliance with software modification only.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
But not with the same resale value or performance. Im not concerned with performance as mine has a tuned ECU and egr delete but im going to try to squeeze as much out of it as possible as they openly commited fraud.

Jcrt87

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JK
Have we heard any recent news?

will the release date will be the same as the ram 1500?

Cheers

Sponsored

BenDiesel

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep wrangler 2 door 6MT soft top
Occupation
rocket scientist
Clubs

Herd some in a different thread say he talked to some CEO type at the 2018 la auto show and they said to expect the diesel in the 2020 calendar year.....

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Why sue over emissions numbers? That's just going to raise the price for all us buying FCA vehicles. The fines will also raise our costs. Instead of fineing companies for this type of issue they should put the responsible parties in jail. Companies don't pay fines customers do so there is no incentive for companies to shave numbers a little but put a few executives in prison for a few years and that can be a deterrent.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Lock them up. I shouldn’t pay for their greed.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Lock them up. I shouldn’t pay for their greed.
Everyone does realize incarceration costs every single American money. Toyota drivers shouldn’t have to pay for FCA executives alleged misbehavior. We speak with our wallets, if you don’t like what they did, do not buy their products.

My personal take is that everyone was in the know but it came down from upper management like this:

Engineer: we can’t make this work
Executive: do what you have to do, I don’t want to know.

It was a global issue involving every manufacturer and sadly they all seem to have developed similar workarounds. Since they all test one another’s vehicles who knows who figured it out first. Also let’s not be nieve to think there is no cross company chatter and development.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
CFOs get locked for allowing inaccurate financials to cause investors money. Wasn’t always that way. I don’t see this being different. Plus where else do I get my diesel Jeep for less?

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Herd some in a different thread say he talked to some CEO type at the 2018 la auto show and they said to expect the diesel in the 2020 calendar year.....
If you think anyone outside of the EPA knows when the emissions certification will greenlight 3.0 sales, I’ve got a fine looking bridge for sale in Brooklyn.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://moparinsiders.com/first-look-2019-ram-1500-limited-ecodiesel-v6/

I’d say their report of similar expected timeframes for 3.0 release in the 1500 and JL is a safe bet. 5thGenRams is now reporting a likely Fall release of the 3.0 1500 shortly after an early start for the MY2020s. Looks like we won’t be ordering 3.0 JLs until the Summer at the earliest and who knows, they might be a MY2020 as well. The fact that the EPA has extracted their pound of flesh and still can’t be bothered to certify new engines in a timely manner is deeply infuriating.

catabler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
At 11:24, dude says Wrangler gets diesel before Gladiator later this year.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At 11:24, dude says Wrangler gets diesel before Gladiator later this year.

That aligns with the expected timeframe for 1500/JL 3.0s per 5thGenRams. Figure late Summer orders for Fall arrival assuming no further delays at the EPA, which is a terrible assumption based on recent evidence, but all we’ve got at present.
Sponsored