Any recent diesel news...?

1. JLURD

JLURD Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Compass Latitude 6MT
    Liked:
    https://autoweek.com/article/trucks/epa-approval-delays-2019-ram-1500-launch

The EPA got pissed when they didn’t have enough evidence re 3.0 emissions tampering to fine FCA like they did VW so EPA has been using delayed certifications as a means of backdoor-fining FCA ever since. You can bet your last dollar FCA would love to have rolled out these options sooner because they are losing both market share and tens of millions in profit without them while all of their competitors offer what the EPA has withheld from FCA’s lineup. If this was simply government inefficiency, it wouldn’t be so obviously targeted at a single company which just so happens to have rubbed the EPA the wrong way.

2. offcamber

offcamber Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle(s):
    2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
    Liked:
    Umm, have you read the recent class action? FCA is getting fined 390 million and having to pay owners. It's not quite the settlement that volkswagon got, but it's still going to hurt. And it's not over for them yet. They may have criminal charges thrown on them. And as an ecodiesel owner, we decided to not take the class action and joined the mass tort lawsuit that Stern Law is pursuing. They are going after a full buyback due to outright fraud by FCA to owners and are pushing for a settlement similar to what VW had to pay. This isn't over. They will end up paying a lot more...I hope so, lol, I want to swap our ecodiesel for another JL.

3. JLURD

JLURD Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    I’m well aware of the legal actions and fines that are involved with FCA’s 3.0 issues. They will almost certainly amount to a rounding error of the $30+ billion VW has shelled out which is why I made the relative comparison. I’d be shocked if you get a VW-Esque buyback because FCA has the means of bringing the emissions into compliance with software modification only.

4. offcamber

offcamber Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle(s):
    2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
    Liked:
    But not with the same resale value or performance. Im not concerned with performance as mine has a tuned ECU and egr delete but im going to try to squeeze as much out of it as possible as they openly commited fraud.

5. Jcrt87

Jcrt87 Member

First Name:
    Juan
    Vehicle(s):
    Sahara JK
    Liked:
    Have we heard any recent news?

will the release date will be the same as the ram 1500?

Cheers

Nihkole likes this.
  6. BenDiesel

BenDiesel Active Member

First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle(s):
    2003 tdi jettt, 2003 dodge ram Cummins quad cab, 2017 jeep Cherokee trailhawk, 1988 jeep yj
    Liked:
    Herd some in a different thread say he talked to some CEO type at the 2018 la auto show and they said to expect the diesel in the 2020 calendar year.....

7. nerubi

nerubi Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLR, 2012 JKU Sahara, 2018 Camaro SS, 2017 Schwinn 700c, SOVRN Geri
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Why sue over emissions numbers? That's just going to raise the price for all us buying FCA vehicles. The fines will also raise our costs. Instead of fineing companies for this type of issue they should put the responsible parties in jail. Companies don't pay fines customers do so there is no incentive for companies to shave numbers a little but put a few executives in prison for a few years and that can be a deterrent.

Matstock4 and GARRIGA like this.
  8. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alejandro
    Vehicle(s):
    Dodge Durango RT
    Liked:
    Finance
    Lock them up. I shouldn’t pay for their greed.

9. Rploaded

Rploaded Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR
    Liked:
    Everyone does realize incarceration costs every single American money. Toyota drivers shouldn’t have to pay for FCA executives alleged misbehavior. We speak with our wallets, if you don’t like what they did, do not buy their products.

My personal take is that everyone was in the know but it came down from upper management like this:

Engineer: we can’t make this work
    Executive: do what you have to do, I don’t want to know.

It was a global issue involving every manufacturer and sadly they all seem to have developed similar workarounds. Since they all test one another’s vehicles who knows who figured it out first. Also let’s not be nieve to think there is no cross company chatter and development.

10. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alejandro
    Vehicle(s):
    Dodge Durango RT
    Liked:
    Finance
    CFOs get locked for allowing inaccurate financials to cause investors money. Wasn’t always that way. I don’t see this being different. Plus where else do I get my diesel Jeep for less?

11. JLURD

JLURD Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    If you think anyone outside of the EPA knows when the emissions certification will greenlight 3.0 sales, I’ve got a fine looking bridge for sale in Brooklyn.

BenDiesel likes this.
  12. off*the*grid

off*the*grid New Member

First Name:
    Andy
    Vehicle(s):
    F150, S2000, 4Runner
    Liked:
    Any updates on the diesel?

Nihkole likes this.
  13. JLURD

JLURD Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    https://moparinsiders.com/first-look-2019-ram-1500-limited-ecodiesel-v6/

I’d say their report of similar expected timeframes for 3.0 release in the 1500 and JL is a safe bet. 5thGenRams is now reporting a likely Fall release of the 3.0 1500 shortly after an early start for the MY2020s. Looks like we won’t be ordering 3.0 JLs until the Summer at the earliest and who knows, they might be a MY2020 as well. The fact that the EPA has extracted their pound of flesh and still can’t be bothered to certify new engines in a timely manner is deeply infuriating.

14. catabler

catabler Member

First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR
    Liked:
    At 11:24, dude says Wrangler gets diesel before Gladiator later this year.

15. JLURD

JLURD Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    That aligns with the expected timeframe for 1500/JL 3.0s per 5thGenRams. Figure late Summer orders for Fall arrival assuming no further delays at the EPA, which is a terrible assumption based on recent evidence, but all we’ve got at present.

catabler likes this.