Sponsored

Any reason I couldn't sand down the body to a brushed aluminum finish and run it like that?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I've got a white 2 door JLR - and it occurred to me that if our JLs are aluminum bodied, could I not get a really slick brushed aluminum finish by removing the paint and brushing it to a nice finish? I'm aware that the corner cowl pieces under the A pillar and the grille are plastic and I'd have to solve for that (maybe get an aluminum replica of the OEM grill fabbed, even), but beyond that are there any non-aluminum outward facing body panels on our Jeeps?

Would be really slick on a Jeep, I think. Something along the lines of this type of texture:
Jeep Wrangler JL Any reason I couldn't sand down the body to a brushed aluminum finish and run it like that? 53050678_2045650068865827_4517171045421023232_n
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
M
I've got a white 2 door JLR - and it occurred to me that if our JLs are aluminum bodied, could I not get a really slick brushed aluminum finish by removing the paint and brushing it to a nice finish? I'm aware that the corner cowl pieces under the A pillar and the grille are plastic and I'd have to solve for that (maybe get an aluminum replica of the OEM grill fabbed, even), but beyond that are there any non-aluminum outward facing body panels on our Jeeps?

Would be really slick on a Jeep, I think. Something along the lines of this type of texture:
Jeep Wrangler JL Any reason I couldn't sand down the body to a brushed aluminum finish and run it like that? 53050678_2045650068865827_4517171045421023232_n
Maybe he will trade— after all, your convertible comes with a top, his doesn’t 😉

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Aren't the rear quarters still steel?
Don’t know— but I do know I could have bought one in 1971 that was on the used car lot of John Drew Dodge in Sacramento for $3,995 but my father (mr. practical and all you need) would not co-sign the loan. So I bought my 1 of 500 NASCAR Plymouth ( HP360) instead that would also be high $ today.😂

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I feel like there is just too much plastic (and other alloys) on the Jeep to make this work theoretically. I.E the grille, fenders, roof panels, hardtop etc to make that quality brushed aluminum look. Also believe the tail gate is some sort of magnesium alloy.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I think the outer tailgate skin is aluminum and the structure itself is magnesium.

It sure would not be low maintenance in raw aluminum. It would need to be constanly gone over with a 3M pad to keep the corrosion from turning it a grayish white.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Plus Jeep will not allow it. Has to stay painted at all times.
Why would Jeep care? Just one less thing to warranty for them. Something they would welcome considering all the corrosion these get around the hinges.

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
It sure would not be low maintenance in raw aluminum. It would need to be constanly gone over with a 3M pad to keep the corrosion from turning it a grayish white.
And every time you touch it you'd get grey-black oxide on your hands/clothes/etc.

Sponsored

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
don't leave it bare metal, clear coat it.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Why would Jeep care? Just one less thing to warranty for them. Something they would welcome considering all the corrosion these get around the hinges.
It is in the Jeep paint clause that you signed. I think to quote it exactly it says... "Thou shalt not paint thy Jeep any color other than the original color without express written consent from Mr. Jeep himself". And then later states “… especially do not strip to bare metal.” And also “… no wraps of any kind too.” So there you have it…

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
It is more than one type of metal, and the spot welds, etc would not produce a smooth look like the beautiful aluminum cobra roadster in your picture that was hand built. If you want the same look I would recommend a wrap, especially over a billet silver paint job.
Sponsored