Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
On all my mopars when I get the questionaires, I have recommended they set a camera on the dolley/skid as it goes down the line and film it being assembled, then give it to the owner , or at least folks who order one, on some format, maybe thumb drive. Also provide the parts and service manual. But alas their stupid marketing people dont listen.
There was a guy on the Challenger forums who works in Brampton assembly, who for a few years if someone asked when they ordered and gave him the Vin# would sign his name on the underside of the hood, which was kind of cool.
They will sell you the service manuals so why would they give them to you? And nothing is free so how much would you pay to have someone set up the camera, take it off, load the video onto a thumb drive and send it out? $100? $500?
Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I have service manuals, they could provide them free to add value to their product, would cost them nothing,
per the cameras, the could set them up on their tooling on the assembly line, have you ever been in an auto plant? Again cost would be next to nothing and would add value, differentiate their product, note worked in a manufacturing plant as an Engineer in R&D,Process , Robotics. This stuff isnt rocket science to implement

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
it doesn’t necessarily work out like that. Porsche charge more for factory collection from Germany than to deliver to a UK dealership. That doesn’t include seeing. your car in production either. It’s a nice experience but way overpriced.
Yep, you have to do the factory tour with the rest of the public, and even if you knew what day yours is being built, there’s no guarantee you’ll see it on the line.

If you’re ever in Stuttgart, Germany, do the Porsche factory tour (separate from the museum access), it’s amazing.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
...they could provide them free to add value to their product, would cost them nothing,
per the cameras, the could set them up on their tooling on the assembly line... Again cost would be next to nothing ...This stuff isnt rocket science to implement
People devalue things that are “free” and nothing is truly free as there is always cost associated with whatever it is. Regarding everything else, it seems like it’s more trouble than it’s worth. Besides, this is Jeep that we’re talking about.

While they could do that and much more I think that they want to minimize attracting the high maintenance, needy, obsessive-compulsive buyer. Specifically those who obsess over needless details and find faults and problems in their vehicles when and where there aren’t really any.

Aintsfan25

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Auto assembly
You sign so many nondisclosure and confidentiality agreements about cameras and pictures its not even funny. We actually just signed a new set last week. The only time a phone or camera is allowed on the floor is if it is for documentation of a quality issue, new process op standards, or other business related documentation or marketing etc. If you are caught taking a picture or signing a car, you are walked out of the plant immediately no questions asked. Ive seen it happen. They say there are no cameras on the line because that would infringe on your rights as an associate but who really knows. Also a lot of processes and ways things are built are considered company confidentiality so you would not want the competition to get an upper hand if you have found a new or better way to "skin a cat"

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Hmmmmm.

this is something that I hadn’t thought about..... there is likely money to be made here by Jeep....

set up a series of computer controlled cameras in the factory. images are shot of each Jeep at various stages and tied to VIN. Jeep can sell images to owner for ....... maybe $100???....... $50???.... $125???.....via digital download after the Jeep has been sold.....

I might have done that just for fun..... anyone else?
Yea, but unfortunately, jeep would sell the picture under the Mopar brand. So a picture would start at $500 and go up from there for instance if you want them in focus. That is if you could get the Mopar web site to load. Sort of like when you go to get the reimbursement form for a recall that you paid for by yourself and the site just shows an hourglass.
Sponsored