Sponsored

Any opinions of LinksWell 12.1″ HD touch screen Android T-style radio?

themartinz

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
I ended up going with the Linkswell unit and not the Phoenix. I chose the Linkswell because of the built in AC control buttons. The Phoenix version seemed to eliminate these buttons. The Phoenix from the pics looks cleaner, but the physical AC buttons are useful. Also, Phoenix customer service seems to be a bit hard to deal with and i've heard a lot of negative reviews on Phoenix. The Phoenix does claim to have a newer
Jeep Wrangler JL Any opinions of LinksWell 12.1″ HD touch screen Android T-style radio? 20210614_163932[1]
version of Android on theirs though.

I purchased it on Amazon, primarily so I would be protected by Amazon return policy if I received it and thought it was junk.

https://www.amazon.com/LinksWell-Mu...words=linkswell+jeep+jl&qid=1623853114&sr=8-3

Overall, I'm satisfied with it, but I've only had it about 2 months or so. Installation was pretty easy as it is plug and play.. plugs right into the factory wiring harness. No wiring splicing of any kind.. but you do need to run some wires for the GPS antenna and Microphone. Not hard at all.
It's has a tiny bit of lag sometimes when you first start it, but not terrible. The large screen works great with Carplay or Android Auto, especially with maps/waze/etc. Screen response is decent, but not iPad smooth.

I added GAIA off road maps and can even run Netflix from it, but you'll need to hotspot your phone to run these apps or either download maps offline or download movies for netflix. Granted, I've never actually watched a netflix movie on it.

I added a front camera which works well. Linkswell even sells a front dash cam that integrates into a DVR app on the unit. I didn't buy that one though.

Sound quality is similar to stock.

And the end of the day, the only advantage to this compared to other head units is the large screen. Insane Audio makes a 9" or 10" or whatever that is also android, but is about the same price. Stinger makes that Heigh10 stereo which is about $1500. Its seems to be really good quality, but you are limited to the apps that come on it. You cannot add any off road trail apps like GAIA or OnX or anything, and really can't customize it like. And lastly, there is the big daddy of them all... Alpine. That is a sweet stereo but will set you back $3k!

All those factors, and the unique looks led me to the Linkswell. Is it good enough for OEM specs? Probably not, but it is still decent so far.
Sponsored

hickamjlu

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
So I have ordered one of these and it comes in on Saturday. I saw where the guy on one of the videos mentions that he rigged one of the USB ports from the linkswell to sit where the factory port is. I wanted to do some digging to see what I was up against because I would like a cleaner look than a wire dangling. I went out and removed the HVAC and window control panel from the center console and when I pulled the plugs from the back of the AUX/USB ports, I noticed that the two lines for the USB connectors for the factory unit have what looks to me like Male USB Mini-B as the connector to the port panel. I have ordered 2 USB Mini-B Male to USB-A Male cables to see if this allows me to just connect it that way and keep it clean. I will report back when I have it installed. Fingers Crossed!!! Got in and dug a little more, very hesitant that this will work since it looks like maybe there are some canbus guts in the AUX/USB hub itself. Was hoping it was a simple pass through to the radio...
update: I have had this installed for a few days now. I have explored it as much as I can without making anything happen to the unit by screwing up a setting. I did discover, and I do not know how or why as everyone I have seen said that you loose the data connections at the factory usb port in the dash, that I still get the data connection and android auto started when I plugged my phone in. I did not reroute any cables or anything. It just worked! Anyone else have this happen?
Also, what I am gathering from reading other posts is that the biggest issue people run into is the hard buttons not working and the back up camera. None of the diagrams are very friendly and the lack of step by step up close install video makes this even more problematic.

Hard buttons - there is a connection port off to the side, not on the metal "brains" of the radio where every other connection is. I missed it, and happened upon a random Facebook post deep in the comments where someone mentioned it.

Back up camera - the can bus box that comes with the radio has a teal connector on it. The Jeep has a teal and red connector plug that comes off the factory cables. You will naturally want to match color to color, as every other connector that comes off the back of the factory unit is color coded. The factory back up camera cable for the Jeep has a red plug. Use this, camera comes up. Also, when you put the Jeep in reverse, right above the image is greyish blackish bar, you can tap that to bring up the brightness and contrast settings.

I am using car launcher pro as my andriod launcher, but some settings can not be accessed unless you use the home screen that the unit comes with default. If you use another launcher, the quickest way to get back to the default launcher and access these features is to put a widget linked to " index ".

I will update the thread as I stumble across more things I think might be useful.

Last edited:

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Also, when you put the Jeep in reverse, right above the image is greyish blackish bar, you can tap that to bring up the brightness and contrast settings.
Thank you for this! I put a 13.6" T-Style head unit in our other car, a Nissan Armada, and the thing that I like least about it is that the backup image is too dark to be useful. On my unit there isn't even a bar, but pressing the top left corner brought up brightness and contrast settings. Thanks!

themartinz

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
update: I have had this installed for a few days now. I have explored it as much as I can without making anything happen to the unit by screwing up a setting. I did discover, and I do not know how or why as everyone I have seen said that you loose the data connections at the factory usb port in the dash, that I still get the data connection and android auto started when I plugged my phone in. I did not reroute any cables or anything. It just worked! Anyone else have this happen?
On mine, my Android phone works fine and connected to the factory USB ports fine. My daughter's iphone, however, did not. I tried various solutions and the only way to get her Iphone to connect was to run a usb to the phonlink usb connector on the back of the stereo. The work-around I did was to rewire the USB connector in the center console directly to the USB of the Linkswell for iphones, and the USB ports in the dash are connected for my Android.

That said, every now and then, the phone-link hiccups or stalls and doesn't connect to Android Auto right away. I guess it needs to think about whether it wants to launch some-times. Don't know if that is my phone or the stereo being stupid.

Degradant

First Name
Vik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Sahara Overland
Occupation
Dev
So, I received my long-awaited parcel in Ukraine! Perhaps I'm the only one in my country with this linkswell :)
Jeep Wrangler JL Any opinions of LinksWell 12.1″ HD touch screen Android T-style radio? 20210721_140017
Jeep Wrangler JL Any opinions of LinksWell 12.1″ HD touch screen Android T-style radio? 20210721_135947
Jeep Wrangler JL Any opinions of LinksWell 12.1″ HD touch screen Android T-style radio? 20210721_163030
Jeep Wrangler JL Any opinions of LinksWell 12.1″ HD touch screen Android T-style radio? 20210721_152035

So, I liked:

• The quality of the material, packaging, equipment.
  • Easy software update.
  • Thoughtfulness of details, for example, that the panel is bolted. This is very important because there are a lot of wires that prevent the panel from being fastened with clips.
  • Good sound.
  • Lots of settings and configs.
  • I was afraid that it would be inconvenient for me to use the climate without a wheel button, but my fears were in vain, it is very convenient.
  • Android auto works perfectly
  • Switching of tracks on the steering wheel has changed, now the next track is pressing down.
  • The rear view camera turns on immediately when reversing, even if the android is not loaded yet!

There are also disadvantages:
  • Poor rear camera signal quality compared to stock. It is possible to purchase a separate converter for normal HD quality?
  • The screen glitters in the sun, it just makes it unreadable at all.
Jeep Wrangler JL Any opinions of LinksWell 12.1″ HD touch screen Android T-style radio? 20210722_110230
Jeep Wrangler JL Any opinions of LinksWell 12.1″ HD touch screen Android T-style radio? 20210722_110225

• Despite the fact that many functions are available before downloading the android, all the same it is longer than the stock radio, but this is normal, you should be patient for the sake of such functionality
  • When my right door is open, I see an open left door on the screen. And vice versa, when the left is open, the right is displayed on the screen.
  • I would like to be able to configure the shortest delay at which the climate control panel disappears after I change the intensity with the buttons.

Sponsored

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
How the hell did you guys get the wires in behind it?! I can’t get it to sit flush to save my life. I went out and picked up longer screws, but it’s MESSY back there. Also, I don’t have the Amp, so do I plug the Mic into the adapter with the RCA’s or the adapter where there’s no place for the other end to go? It’s weird

Last edited:

themartinz

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
  • When my right door is open, I see an open left door on the screen. And vice versa, when the left is open, the right is displayed on the screen.
This can be changed in the settings. Look in "settings", "system" for a setting called RHD (right hand drive) and un check it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Any opinions of LinksWell 12.1″ HD touch screen Android T-style radio? 20210924_144728[1]

jaykayedig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL 2018
Does anyone know how weather resistant is this unit?

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I have ordered one of these and it comes in on Saturday. I saw where the guy on one of the videos mentions that he rigged one of the USB ports from the linkswell to sit where the factory port is. I wanted to do some digging to see what I was up against because I would like a cleaner look than a wire dangling. I went out and removed the HVAC and window control panel from the center console and when I pulled the plugs from the back of the AUX/USB ports, I noticed that the two lines for the USB connectors for the factory unit have what looks to me like Male USB Mini-B as the connector to the port panel. I have ordered 2 USB Mini-B Male to USB-A Male cables to see if this allows me to just connect it that way and keep it clean. I will report back when I have it installed. Fingers Crossed!!! Got in and dug a little more, very hesitant that this will work since it looks like maybe there are some canbus guts in the AUX/USB hub itself. Was hoping it was a simple pass through to the radio...
Did the Mini-B to USB-A work? I ended up running the units USB’s into glove box and plugging a wireless CarPlay dongle into it. Works exceptionally well and took 2 minutes to setup. However, I’ve still got a lightning cord in the USB-C of the media hub for charging. I needed to do something because the units USB was SLOW to charge my iPhone 13 Pro max. I can live with it as it is now, as it’s now as clean as my UC 7”. Also, are there any skins/themes/widgets that can be used with Linkswell Home Screen? It would just be nice to have a default view of info, weather etc. as soon as I turn the unit on.
Anyone come up with a good XM solution? XM’s App in Carplay is and always has been miserable. I can access everything from phone just fine, but CarPlay I get “Cannot Connect To Server: Retry” meanwhile everything is fine on my phone.

newjerseyjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
I've been using this since early this year. My hazard light button doesnt stay on when i click it. I also can't stand waiting 45 seconds for it start up after starting the car. Waiting for the reverse camera is a real PITA.

Sponsored

fullytorqued

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon XR, 2020 Tesla 3, 2013 Prius C
For my 22' I've been looking at the Phoenix Automotive 12.1 that runs Android 10 with 6g ram. Does anyone have experience with how these withstand incidental moisture?

Living in Florida I'm guaranteed be caught in a storm with the doors off...

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Random question…that I feel dumb for asking…what is the purpose of the little puck speaker that it comes with? Also, I’m asking because talking on the phone is useless because there’s a massive delay.

Osmotech

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
There are also disadvantages:
  • Poor rear camera signal quality compared to stock. It is possible to purchase a separate converter for normal HD quality?
Did you use the CVBS connector or the AHD. For AHD you have to "cut the jumper cable" from your video out harness ( suggest just removing the jumper wire from the connector and not cutting it in case you want to reinstall it) . The quality of the image is much better in AHD but I have also seen that it can be a glitchy at times.

Jeep Wrangler JL Any opinions of LinksWell 12.1″ HD touch screen Android T-style radio? 71yPwiZ5l2S._AC_SL1500_

Deleted member 59498

A bit too big and shiny screen for my liking. But only one opinion.

Chiranjeevi000

First Name
Boaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford ,ferrari
If you are going to buy from amazon then great. As you mentioned you will be protected by the amazon return policy. well here is a detailed explanation about the amazon return policy that may be useful to you before buying the product. I found this site interesting it contains the return policy of more than 300 companies.
Sponsored