Sponsored

Any opinions of LinksWell 12.1″ HD touch screen Android T-style radio?

OP
OP
lpasq

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR - Prior: XJ | TJ
All-in-all, an interesting plug-n-play option to add to the list. In addition to the 12" T-style, it seems that there is also an "IQ" line that has several OE look install models for the JL. This wholesaler/installer video, posted earlier, runs through the OS on the T-style later in the video at around 42min; however, early in the video, they show a 9" flat screen and a 10.1" motorized (landscape/portrait).
  • Well, it does canbus connect for OEM vehicle settings.
  • Aged version of Android is a consideration for sure. (Since this headunit is basically a tablet 'rooted' Android kernel, there will be some Play Store app restrictions I'm pretty sure.)
  • The rear camera module 'out' via RCA begs question of video quality. Extra camera inputs are a plus. (They claim an upcoming new multi-camera module. This is the video for it.)
  • Programmable 'Navi' button to navigation app of choice or built-in iGo.
  • Cool OTA updates instead of having to download and flash updates.
I didn't quite catch if the units are mobile SIM capable. I think so? Also wondering about TMPS, Pitch/Roll, Steering Angle, and Diff State.

Looking forward to a JL review after a JL owner install.
Sponsored

newjerseyjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
I didn't quite catch if the units are mobile SIM capable. I think so? Also wondering about TMPS, Pitch/Roll, Steering Angle, and Diff State.

Looking forward to a JL review after a JL owner install.
I don't believe they are SIM capable.

OP
OP
lpasq

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
lpasq

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was checking the forums at the gas station....
Congratulations on the upgrade!

Can you clarify a few things for us?

Like Stinger, you lost compass in gauge cluster?
Does music metadata display in gauge cluster when playing a music source?
Did you lose any hard buttons on center dash console you wish you didn't?
Do the button indicator LED colors match the OE amber color?
Does backup camera maintain HD video signal when displaying?
Can you deactivate/bypass the emergency brake video lockout safety feature?
How is the canbus factory settings interface? You think all settings are there?

Stinger has a pretty good implementation for offroading, including steering and drivetrain state, plus pitch and yaw overlaying the front camera view. How are you finding the Linkswell implementation for wheeling?

What are you most happy with 👍👌

Sponsored

newjerseyjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Congratulations on the upgrade!

Can you clarify a few things for us?

Like Stinger, you lost compass in gauge cluster?
-they added a compass app but they haven't integrated the accelerometer properly yet, so its totally off at the moment. Obviously, any GPS app shows proper info.

Does music metadata display in gauge cluster when playing a music source?
-So far I've only used Spotify and the radio. The radio shows RDS data. Spotify acts like itself. It has a defulat media player but you can download any one you want. I'll plug in a usb with some mp3s and see if it shows metadata on the default player. Stay tuned....

Did you lose any hard buttons on center dash console you wish you didn't?
-out of the box the Climate control was a little shaky. They sent me a patch and its been perfect for the rest of the 24 hours I've had it running. They also need to add a patch to fix the hazard lights. They don't stay on with the button at the moment. I would say the touchscreen serves teh purpose adequatly, just not as lightning fast as blindly pressing the hard button for the seat heater.

Do the button indicator LED colors match the OE amber color?
I'll get back to you on that tonight. I forget!

Does backup camera maintain HD video signal when displaying?
Unfortunately no. But it comes with multi-camera capabilities and an ADAS software bundle, which i haven't taken advantage of yet. the steering guides still show up.

Can you deactivate/bypass the emergency brake video lockout safety feature?
yes

How is the canbus factory settings interface? You think all settings are there?
Yes. the interface for canbus settings is really robust. So far i haven't found anythign missing. It seems the software is probably something developed and used by many manufactorers maybe? Set up, updating, and tuning is a breeze.

Stinger has a pretty good implementation for offroading, including steering and drivetrain state, plus pitch and yaw overlaying the front camera view. How are you finding the Linkswell implementation for wheeling?
I haven't gotten there yet. This will take some time to see how it goes. Like i said up top, the pitch and yaw app currently needs an update to accurately display information. They say its in the works.

What are you most happy with 👍👌
I'm most happy with using Android Apps without the restriction of Android Auto. Running gaia maps, waze, google earth, and others as native apps is SUCH an improvement. and the screen size makes a HUUGE difference. Running netflix, plex, youtube, etc when its safe to do so on a big screen is really really nice. I'm a tinkerer, and having an android tablet built in to the jeep is great. its not perfect, but its really really nice.

Quick hits:
-online firmware and software updates make the platform very modern. You don't need to download and update with a usb stick.

-the HDMI in and out is really nice for feeding in HD signal or sending it out to another screen.

-You need about 8 or 9 seconds for the tablet to fire up before its accessible. i'm usually an auto-start guy, so i don't notice it unless i start from the seat.

more to come after i use it for maybe two more days and can post a proper review.

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
very interesting, i'm going to follow this

OP
OP
lpasq

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...they haven't integrated the accelerometer properly yet...
...see if it shows metadata...
...Running gaia maps, waze, google earth, and others as native apps is SUCH an improvement. and the screen size makes a HUUGE difference...
Thank you!

It will be interesting to see how they serve the wheeling community.

Do check if when playing a music media source, whether the center info display shows any music information, as it would before with the Uconnect head unit.

It's a great gadget. Native running apps like Gaia and Google Earth are a win for my user need.

Looking forward to your future feedback!!

Reaper

First Name
Andy Powell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep jl rubicon
Does it pick up satellite radio? Does it have its own Gps or is it only phone apps? Both of these are important when you go places phones don’t reach.

OP
OP
lpasq

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I read they have longevity issues. One problem I can see living in Arizona is the heat destroying it. I was running around with a 10" tablet in my JK and the battery popped and the screen came unglued from the housing. It gets upwards of 160º inside cars here in the summer, really hard on electronics

themartinz

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
Phoenix Automotive has one as well... the button config looks a little nicer than the Linkswell and they have a version with 6gig of ram and Android 10... Anyone getting one of these?

Problem is, when you ask them questions, their customer service seems pretty bad. I tried to ask them about the rear view input (HD or not?) and whether is passes through the uconnect settings and what not. Couldn't get a good answer. The price is right though!

[ PX6 SIX-CORE ] 13" Android 9 /10Fast boot Vertical Screen Navi Radio for Ford F-series 2015 - 2020 – Phoenix Automotive (phoenixautomotiveinc.com)

Jeep Wrangler JL Any opinions of LinksWell 12.1″ HD touch screen Android T-style radio? Phoenix

Jeep Wrangler JL Any opinions of LinksWell 12.1″ HD touch screen Android T-style radio? Screenshot_2021-03-03 [ Pre-order ] 12 1” Android 9 10 Vertical Screen Navigation Radio for Je

Screenshot_2021-03-03 [ Pre-order ] 12 1” Android 9 10 Vertical Screen Navigation Radio for Je...png

hickamjlu

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
So I have ordered one of these and it comes in on Saturday. I saw where the guy on one of the videos mentions that he rigged one of the USB ports from the linkswell to sit where the factory port is. I wanted to do some digging to see what I was up against because I would like a cleaner look than a wire dangling. I went out and removed the HVAC and window control panel from the center console and when I pulled the plugs from the back of the AUX/USB ports, I noticed that the two lines for the USB connectors for the factory unit have what looks to me like Male USB Mini-B as the connector to the port panel. I have ordered 2 USB Mini-B Male to USB-A Male cables to see if this allows me to just connect it that way and keep it clean. I will report back when I have it installed. Fingers Crossed!!! Got in and dug a little more, very hesitant that this will work since it looks like maybe there are some canbus guts in the AUX/USB hub itself. Was hoping it was a simple pass through to the radio...

Last edited:

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure I’m sold on this but I’m looking forward to your review 👍🏼