Sponsored

Any official word from jeep on top speed of sunrider position?

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Don't quote me, but I seem to remember that in the JK it was recommended to have the rear window removed if traveling over 40MPH or so with the Sunrider open. I just had a look through the JL owners manual online and couldn't find anything related to the Sunrider being open and max speed or windows being removed. Maybe it's not an issue with the JL.
Sponsored

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
Don't quote me, but I seem to remember that in the JK it was recommended to have the rear window removed if traveling over 40MPH or so with the Sunrider open. I just had a look through the JL owners manual online and couldn't find anything related to the Sunrider being open and max speed or windows being removed. Maybe it's not an issue with the JL.
I doubt it's an issue, and I doubt it's 55 mph as the limit. There are faster areas on the highways in the US that would mean you couldn't open the top or drive the highway if you did open the top.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt it's an issue, and I doubt it's 55 mph as the limit. There are faster areas on the highways in the US that would mean you couldn't open the top or drive the highway if you did open the top.
I agree and with the JL it doesn't seem to be an issue.
I just found it in the JK manual and it states: "Note: If you are going to be driving faster than 40 MPH (64 km/h) with the Sunrider feature open, it is recommended that you remove the rear window of the vehicle."
Again, that's the JK; no such recommendation with the JL.

Jimmy_Berg

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn't find anything, but there is a reason I was looking through this post. Today I had the premiem soft top in the sunrider position. I got up to 60 mph when the passenger side window got blown out and started flapping around. I had to pull over and take the windows out. Luckily no damage, but not something I want to repeat. Likely take the back window out if I'm going on the highway.

4x4tographer

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Clubs

I’ve been routinely driving 50 minutes at 75mph on my daily commute with the top in sunrider position and no issues for the last 6 months. Now that it’s getting hot here in PHX, things do seem a little “looser”, so the back window removal might be a good idea.

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
In my experience sunrider position does seem to put a lot of pressure on the back windows, especially going 65+. Nothing catastrophic yet for me though :fingerscrossed:

Jimmy_Berg

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been routinely driving 50 minutes at 75mph on my daily commute with the top in sunrider position and no issues for the last 6 months. Now that it’s getting hot here in PHX, things do seem a little “looser”, so the back window removal might be a good idea.
Yeah, it was 83 and sunny here in Florida when my adventure happened. The fold in tabs of the side windows are the weakest links. Pooooof!

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link

I just read the other day that it is not recommend to drive hiway speeds with rear window removed as the rear window helps retain the side windows, otherwise you cold lose or damage your side windows, I believe that was a statement by Bestop on another thread.

Jimmy_Berg

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I just read the other day that it is not recommend to drive hiway speeds with rear window removed as the rear wind helps retain the side windows, otherwise you cold lose or damage your side windows
I lost aside window with the back window in....

Sponsored

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
The JL owners manual says to always remove all windows, even for sunrider position. There's another loose sheet I believe came with the window bag that says you can leave all the windows in for sunrider position. There's nothing i've seen saying you can remove just the rear window. Its a new top, the JK rules no longer apply. I won't be using sunrider, seems useless to me if the way to do it is below (screenshots of the manual)...

Step1.jpg
Step5.jpg

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I agree and with the JL it doesn't seem to be an issue.
I just found it in the JK manual and it states: "Note: If you are going to be driving faster than 40 MPH (64 km/h) with the Sunrider feature open, it is recommended that you remove the rear window of the vehicle."
Again, that's the JK; no such recommendation with the JL.
I just read the other day that it is not recommend to drive hiway speeds with rear window removed as the rear window helps retain the side windows, otherwise you cold lose or damage your side windows, I believe that was a statement by Bestop on another thread.
The JL owners manual says to always remove all windows, even for sunrider position. There's another loose sheet I believe came with the window bag that says you can leave all the windows in for sunrider position. There's nothing i've seen saying you can remove just the rear window. Its a new top, the JK rules no longer apply. I won't be using sunrider, seems useless to me if the way to do it is below (screenshots of the manual)...

Step1.jpg
Step5.jpg
I haven't installed my soft top yet (still rocking the hard top) so my comments were based on my previous JK experience. I see now how it seems all the windows need to be removed as they all lock together. It looks like if you remove the rear then the sides become unstable as other's have mentioned. The more I read about this soft top the more I wish they left well enough alone and just used a JK-style soft top. Oh well...maybe I'll change my mind once I actually install it and use it.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Apparently the zippers were “too hard” for some people. So, they changed up the JL. My windows never flew out of my JK. Speed limits in west Texas are 85 mph.

Have a Hardtop that I take off when there is no rain in the forecast. Sure wish the aftermarket would make a stupid bikini top.
Sponsored