Sponsored

any new wireless CarPlay dongles out there?

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I've had off/on problems with the CarPlay2Air unit I purchased last summer, and found this unit today on Amazon for half the price:

wireless CarPlay unit

I just ordered it, and it will arrive at the end of next week, so I'll post an update with how it works. My guess is all of these units use the same technology, so a $70 spend is a lot better than a $150 one.

We'll see. Free returns, so not much risk to try it.

Fyi.
Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I got the Cplay2air and while It was a little expensive, It works perfectly. I also picked up a few parts, maybe $20ish, and put It behind the AC controls.

Hidden, keep the front plug as well, and the arm rest plug still works as well.
What did you order to be able to do that?
JL Carplay install

I did this, and 90% of the time, Carplay 2 Air works fine. Sometimes it gets wonky, and won't connect- or will connect but the sound won't play on the UConnect even if I select it on my iphone. Once it warms up, I'm thinking I am going to rearrange some stuff so i can unplug and power cycle the transmitter to reset it. Overall, I do really like this project and it was worth it.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I got the Cplay2air and while It was a little expensive, It works perfectly. I also picked up a few parts, maybe $20ish, and put It behind the AC controls.

Hidden, keep the front plug as well, and the arm rest plug still works as well.
Did you take pics of this? Sounds like a great idea.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I "installed" a Carlinkit two days ago. The only issues are (as someone mentioned) a slightly faded 8.4" screen display, and Waze has locked up both times I've pulled it up. Unplugging the USB and reinserting it got it going. That will get old fast if it continues.

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
I bought a cheaper wireless CarPlay adapter ($84) and have been trying it out for several days. I can't speak for the OEM head unit, but on my Heigh10 it is seamless. Easy to set up, automatically reconnects after the heigh10 boots up, all CarPlay functions work (google maps, messaging, phone, apple maps, podcasts, music, etc.) No faults (though only 2 days experience) Here is the link https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P1FVJJ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sponsored

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I bought a cheaper wireless CarPlay adapter ($84) and have been trying it out for several days. I can't speak for the OEM head unit, but on my Heigh10 it is seamless. Easy to set up, automatically reconnects after the heigh10 boots up, all CarPlay functions work (google maps, messaging, phone, apple maps, podcasts, music, etc.) No faults (though only 2 days experience) Here is the link https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P1FVJJ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
looks like the same one I bought for a few bucks more. I have had mine for a month and it's beeb flawless i love it

Mikiejag

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deciding, 2020 JL Black and tan
I didnt take photos, but here is the link Cplay2air

I just consolidated a few pieces, but the rest is the same.

James Guilbeaux

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021wrangler
I chose a cheaper and more powerful product than cplay2air, to be precise this is the second product I bought, the old version does not support wireless android auto, only carplay is supported, now the new version does, so my wife's android phone can also connect, now it could be named as an android auto dongle.
Sponsored