Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
  • Banned
Is there any benefit of welding the hitch receiver to the frame instead of just the 4 bolts that hold it? I'm potentially looking at towing near the tongue weight limit (not exceed it) and just wanting to take any precautions I can to avoid issues. Thanks.
Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Is there any benefit of welding the hitch receiver to the frame instead of just the 4 bolts that hold it? I'm potentially looking at towing near the tongue weight limit (not exceed it) and just wanting to take any precautions I can to avoid issues. Thanks.
I have had the receiver reinforced to a Class IV level. I removed the muffler and put in a smaller muffler after the resonator and an American Thunder axle back to make welding in the square tubing easier, however in my JK the tube was bent around the muffler (lowering the clearance a bit.)

JL Hitch 1.jpg

JL Hitch 2.jpg

JL Hitch 3.jpg

gwl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
We have pulled a 2000+ lb. trailer with a 300 lb. tongue weight for thousands of miles with the standard four bolts securing the hitch and never had a problem.

HayBuiltJLU

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I have had the receiver reinforced to a Class IV level. I removed the muffler and put in a smaller muffler after the resonator and an American Thunder axle back to make welding in the square tubing easier, however in my JK the tube was bent around the muffler (lowering the clearance a bit.)

JL Hitch 1.jpg

JL Hitch 2.jpg

JL Hitch 3.jpg
Can you explain what the purpose of this is? And how it adds structural value to the hitch?

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Can you explain what the purpose of this is? And how it adds structural value to the hitch?
This strengthens the stock hitch receiver to equivalent of about a Class IV hitch. This allows much more than the stock receiver 350_lb tongue weight, when used with a weight distribution hitch. A WD hitch adds a lot of torque (up and down) to the receiver and this modification transfer some of that twisting moment to the frame near the axle.

It is important if using this modification that you don't load the rear axle in excess of the GAWR.

Sponsored

HayBuiltJLU

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
This strengthens the stock hitch receiver to equivalent of about a Class IV hitch. This allows much more than the stock receiver 350_lb tongue weight, when used with a weight distribution hitch. A WD hitch adds a lot of torque (up and down) to the receiver and this modification transfer some of that twisting moment to the frame near the axle.

It is important if using this modification that you don't load the rear axle in excess of the GAWR.
I agree that it would help with the downwards twisting motion to an extent but saying that it comes close to a Class IV hitch (1,400lb TW) is a far stretch. It would add strength over the factory design possibly but it doesn't mean it raises the rated towing capacity of the vehicle.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I agree that it would help with the downwards twisting motion to an extent but saying that it comes close to a Class IV hitch (1,400lb TW) is a far stretch. It would add strength over the factory design possibly but it doesn't mean it raises the rated towing capacity of the vehicle.
It is as strong as a Class IV hitch ... how much you choose to tow is up to you.

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
This raised more questions.... I see the difference in rating between classes of hitch... but I don't understand how that is tested or determined. Similar to what the guys above are asking. It appears in pictures of hitches that the difference is the attachment point or number of attachment points to the frame. The JL hitch is bolted directly to a frame cross-member. it seems than welding it and possibly adding support to that particular cross-member, would at least make it closer in class to a level 3 hitch.

HayBuiltJLU

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
This raised more questions.... I see the difference in rating between classes of hitch... but I don't understand how that is tested or determined. Similar to what the guys above are asking. It appears in pictures of hitches that the difference is the attachment point or number of attachment points to the frame. The JL hitch is bolted directly to a frame cross-member. it seems than welding it and possibly adding support to that particular cross-member, would at least make it closer in class to a level 3 hitch.
My advice take it or leave it would be to install the hitch with the proper grade bolts per the manufactures instructions.

Welding or/and additional supports may or may not improve weight carrying capacity but you can not say that it is now a Class 3 receiver. There is much more engineering involved in towing capacity besides the simple fact of adding an additional support.
Sponsored