Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon

hellayellajlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Those of you that went 3.5" could I get by for a little while without changing the front drive shaft? daily driver & weekend trails!

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Those of you that went 3.5" could I get by for a little while without changing the front drive shaft? daily driver & weekend trails!
Yes. I am still on the factory drive shaft. Daily driver, weekend trails. No problems so far after 9 months and about 8000 miles.

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
The issues are more likely to occur really at full articulation, so if it's daily driven, or less than full articulation, it's something you can put off. I'd definitely recommend having it on the "to do" list at some point in the future. MetalCloak sells one as an addition to their kit that will work, and there are a few other aftermarket options that I like better, but definitely cost more.

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. I am still on the factory drive shaft. Daily driver, weekend trails. No problems so far after 9 months and about 8000 miles.
You might want to inspect your drive shaft. I thought I could get away with it, and did a "mild trail" and I already tore mine up. Thought I could kick the can down the road. Nope.

Sponsored

GregMG79

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd
Occupation
Construction Manager
Anyone find out how much lift the gamchanger 2.5 or 3.5 they actually got for a sport? Curious which to get. And if you can use the bump stops to limit travel to postpone swapping out the drive shaft till later.

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Seriously considering the 2.5” game changer with the upgraded driveshaft. Has anyone with this lift had any issues with bending/breaking any of the lift components? I haven’t heard any issues with durability but wanted to ask the question just in case.

Yakpimp

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Seriously considering the 2.5” game changer with the upgraded driveshaft. Has anyone with this lift had any issues with bending/breaking any of the lift components? I haven’t heard any issues with durability but wanted to ask the question just in case.
I have one in my garage I'm trying to schedule an install on. I'll let you know if I ever hear back from them :)

Sponsored

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Has anyone had issues with the zinc coating on their metal cloak parts washing off?

OP
OP
Mugzzzee

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
Has anyone had issues with the zinc coating on their metal cloak parts washing off?
The zinc does not wash off, but from my experience it gets a bit tarnished over time. My MC parts have been installed since late 2018. Hope that answers your question.

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The zinc does not wash off, but from my experience it gets a bit tarnished over time. My MC parts have been installed since late 2018. Hope that answers your question.
Makes me worried more than anything lol. I have one control arm that looks like the coating has washed off completely and is back to bare steel. Multiple other parts that also have the zinc coating coming off in flakes. Wish MC was open today so I could talk to someone.

This just doesn't look right to me:
20220108_113435.jpg

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It is my understanding that acidic solutions will strip zinc chromate plating.

It is my understanding that "neutral" ph road salts disassociate into acidic compounds when moistened.

I do not drive on salted roads often, but when I do I make point of washing the under carriage with extra emphasis on cleaning the patina of salt off my bling bling.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Makes me worried more than anything lol. I have one control arm that looks like the coating has washed off completely and is back to bare steel. Multiple other parts that also have the zinc coating coming off in flakes. Wish MC was open today so I could talk to someone.

This just doesn't look right to me:
Jeep Wrangler JL Any Metalcloak fans out there? 20220108_113435
Looks like scrub/swirl marks on that bottom arm.
Sponsored