Sponsored

Any Metal Cloak Skid Plate Gaps?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
With few exceptions, all of my suspension and protection upgrades have been @Metalcloak. In short order I will be pulling the trigger on a Metal Cloak skid plate system for my Rubicon (my last MC upgrade!). I was curious as to whether or not there are any gaps in the MC system that need to be filled in by other vendor's parts?

2019 JLUR, 3.6L, non-etorque.

TIA for your thoughts.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
With few exceptions, all of my suspension and protection upgrades have been @Metalcloak. In short order I will be pulling the trigger on a Metal Cloak skid plate system for my Rubicon (my last MC upgrade!). I was curious as to whether or not there are any gaps in the MC system that need to be filled in by other vendor's parts?

2019 JLUR, 3.6L, non-etorque.

TIA for your thoughts.
I recall reading about an exhaust "loop" that hangs low, and that most skid systems don't cover it, including Metalcloaks.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I recall reading about an exhaust "loop" that hangs low, and that most skid systems don't cover it, including Metalcloaks.
Yep; I see that Skidrow has a skid that works with the MC Skid System. Others have posted the Skidrow skid only has two mounting points and both of them are on the same side which makes it a bit of a lever if impacted and could bend. This would be easily stiffened by welding full gussets on both sides of the bolt hole and down to the bottom of the plate. There appears to be clearance to do so and makes some sense to consider it.

This has some promise and I will likely add it to the MC system so that I have as much coverage as possible. I already have a M.O.R.E. evap canister skid as well as a MC towing skid for the electrical connections.

Jeep Wrangler JL Any Metal Cloak Skid Plate Gaps? JP-8018_View1_Wi

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep; I see that Skidrow has a skid that works with the MC Skid System. Others have posted the Skidrow skid only has two mounting points and both of them are on the same side which makes it a bit of a lever if impacted and could bend. This would be easily stiffened by welding full gussets on both sides of the bolt hole and down to the bottom of the plate. There appears to be clearance to do so and makes some sense to consider it.

This has some promise and I will likely add it to the MC system so that I have as much coverage as possible. I already have a M.O.R.E. evap canister skid as well as a MC towing skid for the electrical connections.

Jeep Wrangler JL Any Metal Cloak Skid Plate Gaps? JP-8018_View1_Wi
Yeah, that must be the one I've seen mentioned here. Just couldn't remember the company or the random thread it was mentioned in. And my thoughts are the same, as far as the questionable strength of the 2 mounting points. At least some additional tabs, of say 3/8" flat stock, and some extra hardware should be included. For those without a welding outfit, it's easy enough to drill a couple of holes in the main skid system to tie in the exhaust loop skid. If not 4 points, even just a 3rd connecting point would go a long way for stiffening up that add-on.

The 2.0 motor doesn't have a low hanging exhaust loop, so I'm limited to the couple of pics I've seen around here.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that must be the one I've seen mentioned here. Just couldn't remember the company or the random thread it was mentioned in. And my thoughts are the same, as far as the questionable strength of the 2 mounting points. At least some additional tabs, of say 3/8" flat stock, and some extra hardware should be included. For those without a welding outfit, it's easy enough to drill a couple of holes in the main skid system to tie in the exhaust loop skid. If not 4 points, even just a 3rd connecting point would go a long way for stiffening up that add-on.

The 2.0 motor doesn't have a low hanging exhaust loop, so I'm limited to the couple of pics I've seen around here.
Is it positioned close enough to the MC skid to be attached? I have not found a photo with both of them installed.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is it positioned close enough to the MC skid to be attached? I have not found a photo with both of them installed.
That, I'm not sure about. I recently saw a pic of that skid mounted, but not sure about what brand skid system it was added to. Sorry I can't offer anything more specific.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That, I'm not sure about. I recently saw a pic of that skid mounted, but not sure about what brand skid system it was added to. Sorry I can't offer anything more specific.
No worries, if I buy one and decide to beef it up with gussets I'll keep you in the loop.