Sponsored

Any limp mode fixes or bypasses in 2023? Electronic stability control issues with Ecodiesel engine

OP
OP
chwdg10

chwdg10

First Name
Chelsea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
I think I found the issue. Check the wiring harness from the main connector under the rear part of the front passenger side wheel well. That cable runs over the exhaust and into the transmission and a few other areas. My was burnt, so I zip tied it out of the way and it fixed it.... For awhile. The problem returned. I think I need to replace the entire harness now. If I do I will use extreme heat shielding.
Interesting. Would you mind sharing some photos?
Sponsored

NOLA 23 Diesel

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler EcoDiesel
My husband and I went camping this past weekend, towing our small camper behind our 2020 JLU Ecodiesel. Our destination was only an hour away from home and during our drive, the Jeep went into limp mode twice while flashing the service electronic stability control message on the dash. We've had this issue before on some of our road trips, longer distances at higher speeds, not towing anything at all. It's beginning to get very frustrating.

We're aware that this is not a new problem and has been an issue for JLs for several years now. I've tried doing some research on various forums to find out if there was ever a fix for this, but most of the posts are from before 2022.

I hope that at some point @JeepCares acknowledges that this is a common issue and begins working towards some kind of recall. It's scary and extremely unsafe to have your vehicle drop into limp mode while driving in the fast lane on a busy highway! For now, they keep releasing new models of wranglers that all have the same problems of going into limp mode and flashing messages like service electronic stability control, service the auto start/stop, etc.

We've tried to address this at several dealerships and the response is always "We won't know what the issue is until this message pops up again" and then we leave without any resolutions.

I know our diesel engine can handle more than what we put it through and when off-road it performs like a champ. We love it!! But whatever is tripping a sensor and causing the system to resort to limp mode is ruining part of the driving experience for us.

So I have to ask, in 2023, has anyone found a solution to avoid their Jeep going into limp mode??? It would be great if there was a way to bypass or "hack" the system to completely eliminate the system from resorting to limp mode.
Thanks for posting! So, we have new 23 JLUD for 4 months and now 3500 miles and have same identical problem. Yesterday it left my wife on Hwy stranded for 10 minutes. At 55mph cruise, lights came on and it just started slowing down no power at pedal and died, leaving her stuck in middle lane because of traffic. Dangerous situation, she tried starting it and nothing, lights on but not even turning over, after tenth time it started and she drove home. Now she won’t even drive it out of fear of the same in a worse situation. Looks like on the forums it’s been going on since 2018. No one ever posts the fix or that it was fixed. It’s not just diesels, it’s all of them. We love ours except for this problem!

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Thanks for posting! So, we have new 23 JLUD for 4 months and now 3500 miles and have same identical problem. Yesterday it left my wife on Hwy stranded for 10 minutes. At 55mph cruise, lights came on and it just started slowing down no power at pedal and died, leaving her stuck in middle lane because of traffic. Dangerous situation, she tried starting it and nothing, lights on but not even turning over, after tenth time it started and she drove home. Now she won’t even drive it out of fear of the same in a worse situation. Looks like on the forums it’s been going on since 2018. No one ever posts the fix or that it was fixed. It’s not just diesels, it’s all of them. We love ours except for this problem!
I'm pretty sure that it's still somewhat drivable when the "service electronic stability control" message comes up. Maybe yours was a different type of failure?

Note that turning our wheels lock to lock, then addressing the resultant off-center steering wheel seems to have resolved this for us.

OP
OP
chwdg10

chwdg10

First Name
Chelsea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
It is a VERY frustrating problem!!

We did go through with having the dealership do the PCM update on our JL back in June and so far we have not had this issue happen since.

In July we put it to the test by towing our camper to a campground several hours away, up a mountain, in 90-degree heat, and had zero issues. We've also gone on a few day trips which involved us driving 1-3 hours on the freeway at 70-85mph with no issues.

It could be a coincidence, but I feel like it's worth sharing.

NOLA 23 Diesel

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler EcoDiesel
It is a VERY frustrating problem!!

We did go through with having the dealership do the PCM update on our JL back in June and so far we have not had this issue happen since.

In July we put it to the test by towing our camper to a campground several hours away, up a mountain, in 90-degree heat, and had zero issues. We've also gone on a few day trips which involved us driving 1-3 hours on the freeway at 70-85mph with no issues.

It could be a coincidence, but I feel like it's worth sharing.
Absolutely Thanks for sharing !! Awesome news!! Let me know if it ever flares up again. I’ve been waiting for my first oil change before turning on/up my pedal monster and Derringer. It has lots of power without it. Mileage has been 21 average and 26-27 Hwy. 3” lift on 35’s. Installed a hitch Saturday and pulled 7,000 trailer 2 miles down road. Pulled easy. We love it. Just can’t be shutting down on us. I’ll keep an open blog with you on any pros and cons we come across. ✌🏼
Thanks again for the reply,
Cameron Clesi

Sponsored

RandyP111

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I think I found the issue. Check the wiring harness from the main connector under the rear part of the front passenger side wheel well. That cable runs over the exhaust and into the transmission and a few other areas. My was burnt, so I zip tied it out of the way and it fixed it.... For awhile. The problem returned. I think I need to replace the entire harness now. If I do I will use extreme heat shielding.

RandyP111

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Have you replaced the harness? Mine just started doing this and I don't think there was an overheat, oil temp, or valid reason to go into limp mode I felt it may have been a sensor bundle on or near the manifold. 1st symptom...lost heat on environmental control, 2nd symptom...oil temp warning, 3rd symptom...engine temp warning, 4th symptom... warning light dealer service ess and then limp mode. Oil on dipstick clean and fresh from change, no leaks or puddles, scent of burning/burnt plastic was present, this was on a cold 20 degree f day and all would disappear with a shut down and wait, drive normally for 10 minutes or so and then repeat. Heater never did work again. Towing to repair tomorrow.
Sponsored