Sponsored

Any limp mode fixes or bypasses in 2023? Electronic stability control issues with Ecodiesel engine

chwdg10

First Name
Chelsea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
My husband and I went camping this past weekend, towing our small camper behind our 2020 JLU Ecodiesel. Our destination was only an hour away from home and during our drive, the Jeep went into limp mode twice while flashing the service electronic stability control message on the dash. We've had this issue before on some of our road trips, longer distances at higher speeds, not towing anything at all. It's beginning to get very frustrating.

We're aware that this is not a new problem and has been an issue for JLs for several years now. I've tried doing some research on various forums to find out if there was ever a fix for this, but most of the posts are from before 2022.

I hope that at some point @JeepCares acknowledges that this is a common issue and begins working towards some kind of recall. It's scary and extremely unsafe to have your vehicle drop into limp mode while driving in the fast lane on a busy highway! For now, they keep releasing new models of wranglers that all have the same problems of going into limp mode and flashing messages like service electronic stability control, service the auto start/stop, etc.

We've tried to address this at several dealerships and the response is always "We won't know what the issue is until this message pops up again" and then we leave without any resolutions.

I know our diesel engine can handle more than what we put it through and when off-road it performs like a champ. We love it!! But whatever is tripping a sensor and causing the system to resort to limp mode is ruining part of the driving experience for us.

So I have to ask, in 2023, has anyone found a solution to avoid their Jeep going into limp mode??? It would be great if there was a way to bypass or "hack" the system to completely eliminate the system from resorting to limp mode.
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My husband and I went camping this past weekend, towing our small camper behind our 2020 JLU Ecodiesel. Our destination was only an hour away from home and during our drive, the Jeep went into limp mode twice while flashing the service electronic stability control message on the dash. We've had this issue before on some of our road trips, longer distances at higher speeds, not towing anything at all. It's beginning to get very frustrating.

We're aware that this is not a new problem and has been an issue for JLs for several years now. I've tried doing some research on various forums to find out if there was ever a fix for this, but most of the posts are from before 2022.

I hope that at some point @JeepCares acknowledges that this is a common issue and begins working towards some kind of recall. It's scary and extremely unsafe to have your vehicle drop into limp mode while driving in the fast lane on a busy highway! For now, they keep releasing new models of wranglers that all have the same problems of going into limp mode and flashing messages like service electronic stability control, service the auto start/stop, etc.

We've tried to address this at several dealerships and the response is always "We won't know what the issue is until this message pops up again" and then we leave without any resolutions.

I know our diesel engine can handle more than what we put it through and when off-road it performs like a champ. We love it!! But whatever is tripping a sensor and causing the system to resort to limp mode is ruining part of the driving experience for us.

So I have to ask, in 2023, has anyone found a solution to avoid their Jeep going into limp mode??? It would be great if there was a way to bypass or "hack" the system to completely eliminate the system from resorting to limp mode.
Thank you for tagging our team. If you need support while your Jeep is at a dealership, feel free to send a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Come2elmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chev 2500 HD, 16 Chevy Burb
Just gonna throw this out but have you replaced your batteries? The main and aux or even just tried the aux bypass? Bad batteries have been known to cause all sorts of gremlins.

OP
OP
chwdg10

chwdg10

First Name
Chelsea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
Just gonna throw this out but have you replaced your batteries? The main and aux or even just tried the aux bypass? Bad batteries have been known to cause all sorts of gremlins.
Thanks for the suggestion. We just recently replaced both batteries with some higher-performing brands. Unfortunately, we're having this issue both before and after battery replacement.

We've also tried the recommended trick of making sure all the fuses are properly seated in the fuse box. No changes. 🤷‍♀️

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
50,000+ miles on my 2022 JLURD, and I have never had this issue, but I am curious to the solution in case it ever happens to me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chwdg10

chwdg10

First Name
Chelsea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
Reviving this thread because I decided to take my Jeep into the dealership and they're recommending a PCM update for $600 to see if it solves the issue....

Does anyone have a positive experience with their vehicle after getting this service done?

speedymart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jl
This should 100% be leaving some DTC stored in the system to trace down. The fact it's totally random and clears itself up means this is probably an electric connection issue. Spread terminal, backed out pin, etc. A PCM update will not be solving your issue unless it's directly states in the PCM update's associated TSB. The TSB will list all the things the update addresses.

Also, the message you're seeing is a generic message that could apply to any numbers of systems. The auto stop/start light will also illuminate if a sufficiently major other malfunction is detected, such as what you described. There should be DTCs stored in the system, if you could share them here I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Also you shouldn't of bought an ecodiesel, but that's water under the bridge at this point

U EEDIOT

First Name
Scott!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2006 Trailblazer SS
Occupation
Did my time. https://youtu.be/mj1dd0Kcq8A?si=h8gOFKS0rg7hysV6
Reviving this thread because I decided to take my Jeep into the dealership and they're recommending a PCM update for $600 to see if it solves the issue....

Does anyone have a positive experience with their vehicle after getting this service done?
"$600 to see if it solves the issue...."

Is your Jeep still under warranty?

If yes, they should do it for free.
If no, have the service agreement state it is FREE if the "update" doesn't fix the problem.

OP
OP
chwdg10

chwdg10

First Name
Chelsea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
If no, have the service agreement state it is FREE if the "update" doesn't fix the problem.
I didn't realize this was an option. I'll have to give it a try.

Unfortunately, it is no longer under warranty as of 6,000 miles ago. :facepalm:

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic

Does that include new PCM hardware or just a software update? If it is a software update, that is silly AF.

OP
OP
chwdg10

chwdg10

First Name
Chelsea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
Does that include new PCM hardware or just a software update? If it is a software update, that is silly AF.
Just got off the phone with the tech. It's only for the software update and he's "80% sure" that it could resolve the issue. I'm willing to give it a try since they did agree to provide a service warranty in case it doesn't fix it.

I will point out that this new dealership my Jeep is at is way more helpful and willing to figure out my issue compared to the previous two I've visited.

U EEDIOT

First Name
Scott!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2006 Trailblazer SS
Occupation
Did my time. https://youtu.be/mj1dd0Kcq8A?si=h8gOFKS0rg7hysV6
Just got off the phone with the tech. It's only for the software update and he's "80% sure" that it could resolve the issue. I'm willing to give it a try since they did agree to provide a service warranty in case it doesn't fix it.

I will point out that this new dealership my Jeep is at is way more helpful and willing to figure out my issue compared to the previous two I've visited.
A software update would imply a problem with the previous software.
That would be a TSB.

NOT your responsibility.

Do not pay for that.

speedymart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jl
A software update would imply a problem with the previous software.
That would be a TSB.

NOT your responsibility.

Do not pay for that.
TSBs are only bulletins. They aren't extensions of the factory warranty. However, most powertrain updates are covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty

CarGuyBuddy

First Name
carGuy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Diesel
I think I found the issue. Check the wiring harness from the main connector under the rear part of the front passenger side wheel well. That cable runs over the exhaust and into the transmission and a few other areas. My was burnt, so I zip tied it out of the way and it fixed it.... For awhile. The problem returned. I think I need to replace the entire harness now. If I do I will use extreme heat shielding.
Sponsored