Sponsored

Any licensed HAMs planning on installing a rig & antenna in their JL?

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
There is a FREE app for iPhone (prolly andriod as well) called "HamRadioExam" by Roy Watson - N1ZTL. I used just that app to study for the exam, and two weeks later passed the test (full disclosure - I've been doing communications and radios in general for 28 years with the army, so some of the material was second-nature for me)

the app has section quizzes, exam simulators, option to read through and study correct answers, etc. It's also adaptive and will throw you only questions you miss, show you what questions you miss, etc.

I know the app exists for "technician" and "general"

it's probably the only thing you need for studying to pass. the questions are known, so it's a memorization thing; this app will do that for you.

it WON'T make you smart on ham radios - it's so you can answer the test questions and pass the test. To learn about ham, there are a lot of resources and books to do that.

for me, the app was great because I could pull out my phone, study one section at a time when I had 10-15 minutes (waiting on the doc, whatever) and really focus on what I wasn't answering right

---break

I'm also interested in mounting options. My current rig (ram 3500) has the base unit under the passenger seat, but sounds like that's not going to be an option in the JLUR. so I'd like to find out what others are doing so I can copycat ;)

W4HIK
Just passed my technician. Used the HamRadio Test app on the android with some youtube episodes. Exam wasn't nearly as technical as I thought. Now studying for my general via the same method.

Sippycup88

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Did you mount this? Trying to figure out options
I am in the process of installing the 400XDR in my JLUR right now. I think that I may end up mounting the radio under the passenger seat and installing the control head on my CB Bar. I made a modification to the CB Bar and mounted the control head directly to the bar.

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Once my FTM400 arrives, (1 month on back order so far), I'll be installing it in my JL. Radio under passenger seat, control unit on top of dash via 67 Designs mount.

Sippycup88

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Once my FTM400 arrives, (1 month on back order so far), I'll be installing it in my JL. Radio under passenger seat, control unit on top of dash via 67 Designs mount.
Check out Topsy Products. They have nice mic mounts and their mic mount can be used as a RAM mount as well. I'll be using their antenna mount and mic mount for mine.

Sponsored

WaldorfJL

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Passed the tech exam last Friday...been playing around with a cheap Baofeng. Made my first contact today on a local repeater....Just mounted the yaesu 8800 face upfront....I have the main unit mounted in the rear, on the driver's side...but I think it will be smarter to move it under a seat....I have a mount on order from cooltechllc for the rear using the rear top door hinge bolts...and a 41" Diamond antennae. That will give a total height of 82"...which is the same height as the wife's F150 stock radio antenna...and it fits under the parking garages....also outs the antenna about 10 inches over the soft top.

IMG_20210513_190057_413.jpg

WaldorfJL

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
IMG_20210517_171922_023.jpg
IMG_20210517_175507_983.jpg

Cooltechllc mount for NMO, and a 41" dual band Diamond antennae....quick test and I was able to reach out to a few other hammers.....Happy new amateur here
Sponsored