Sponsored

Any licensed HAMs planning on installing a rig & antenna in their JL?

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
Hello Rumblefish, don’t know what the wiring kit is? All that I know of is the wires that are in the picture I posted.
There was mention of a "splice kit" that is supposed to come with the vehicles equipped with the HD electrical kit. It is supposed to contain some butt connectors and shrink tubes or something similar to that.
Sponsored

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
There was mention of a "splice kit" that is supposed to come with the vehicles equipped with the HD electrical kit. It is supposed to contain some butt connectors and shrink tubes or something similar to that.
Oh yeah I saw that talked about in the manual. I Haven’t seen anything.

JLU_Pilot

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR - (Lady) ; 2013 Chevy Traverse
Yes. I'm eyeing a new rig for this new Jeep.
I'm thinking a Kenwood v71a or a yaesu ftm-100dr. Antenna mounting will be off the spare tire, but it may be a while before solutions are available.
Take a look at what @My#8andlast came up with: .
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/cb-antenna-mount-what-i-did.4364/#post-85878

I'm looking for options as well... what is the ideal / best location for the antenna? What should you take into consideration? I've seen some from the spare tire area, and others from the right rear bumper area. Trade-offs on range / signal?

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Occupation
VFX Artist / Photographer / Cinematographer
I think this time I'll put a Kenwood with removable front face.
But I still don't know where to put the body :(

G.

ArmyCrawler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JL Rubi
I think this time I'll put a Kenwood with removable front face.
But I still don't know where to put the body :(

G.
I’m planning on putting mine under the passenger seat. Hoping there is room...

Sponsored

JCM32

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
Occupation
Finance
I am currently studying for my Tech/General license. Watching and learning here. Any suggestions for a newbie??

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I am currently studying for my Tech/General license. Watching and learning here. Any suggestions for a newbie??
From one student to another (I hope to get my tech license Saturday): The Ham Whisperer is a fantastic resource if you haven't found it already (and even if you have).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7564E84F0A8082FD

Unfortunately his General license content hasn't been updated for the current exam, which I assume means he won't be re-doing the Technician content after June, adding incentive to get that license soon.

ArmyCrawler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JL Rubi
hamtestonline.com is pretty good as well. You pay for the tests you want to take and then it blends the questions together so if you want to take several in one day you can.

ArmyCrawler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JL Rubi
I’m planning on putting mine under the passenger seat. Hoping there is room...
Update: got my JLUR Saturday. Definitely not room under the passenger seat facing forward anyway, and I wouldn’t want it facing backwards where a passenger could kick it. Now considering under the back bench with a longer wire for faceplate and mic. Easier for rear antenna though!

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
There is a FREE app for iPhone (prolly andriod as well) called "HamRadioExam" by Roy Watson - N1ZTL. I used just that app to study for the exam, and two weeks later passed the test (full disclosure - I've been doing communications and radios in general for 28 years with the army, so some of the material was second-nature for me)

the app has section quizzes, exam simulators, option to read through and study correct answers, etc. It's also adaptive and will throw you only questions you miss, show you what questions you miss, etc.

I know the app exists for "technician" and "general"

it's probably the only thing you need for studying to pass. the questions are known, so it's a memorization thing; this app will do that for you.

it WON'T make you smart on ham radios - it's so you can answer the test questions and pass the test. To learn about ham, there are a lot of resources and books to do that.

for me, the app was great because I could pull out my phone, study one section at a time when I had 10-15 minutes (waiting on the doc, whatever) and really focus on what I wasn't answering right

---break

I'm also interested in mounting options. My current rig (ram 3500) has the base unit under the passenger seat, but sounds like that's not going to be an option in the JLUR. so I'd like to find out what others are doing so I can copycat ;)

W4HIK

Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
There is a FREE app for iPhone (prolly andriod as well) called "HamRadioExam" by Roy Watson - N1ZTL.
Thanks, that is a great resource. I would recommend combining it with something that explains the answers, but everyone learns differently.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I downloaded a few apps years ago and forget, but I just ran through questions. They were all pretty easy to remember since I'm an engineer.

Will probably put a HAM or at least scanner in my JL...who knows.

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
Thanks. For all its flaws, this was a great tool and it put me over the top. Aced the tech exam.
awesome congrats! Yup - for "I need / want to pass the exam" it's a great tool. Many just want the ability to use ham similar to CB, just longer range; talk to a small group of people for a period of time. They generally stick to one channel, and don't do 5% of what ham radios can do.

For those that it's their hobby - there are plenty of resources to "learn" the hobby. But just to be able to talk - the app will definitely help you pass the exam, and even give you enough information to do it correctly

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I''ll keep this thread handy for when my 2 door comes in. I had a Kenwood v71a in my TJ and will be moving it to the JL.
Sponsored