Sponsored

Any ideas to counter/prevent Jeep tires from being slashed? (non political)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I found your solution. Might ride a little rough, but with the crappy roads in NY and NJ, you won't notice much of a difference.

Jeep Wrangler JL Any ideas to counter/prevent Jeep tires from being slashed? (non political) 204433F1-3F78-47FA-8C76-B982B20F9A40

utjmac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited 392
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10974329/Brazen-eco-zealots-slashed-40-SUV-tires-NYC-vow-theyll-spring-major-cities.html

https://nypost.com/2022/07/01/climate-activists-deflate-tires-on-40-suvs-in-nyc/

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/tire-deflate-nyc-protest-b2114042.html

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cl...ns-suv-tires-nyc-say-major-cities-us-hit-next

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/tyre-extinguishers-climate-protesters-target-7214069

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-60660711

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dg7qn/who-are-the-tyre-extinguishers

I live very close to New York City (not by choice but I am somewhat stuck here for the next five years). I have read about these Tyre Extinguishers group of eco terrorist deflating SUV tires in major cities around the world. It seems that they have moved from deflating the tires to even slashing some of the tires. I highly doubt that the cop will do anything about this matter.

I understand that I can always use a portable air pump to temporary deal with the deflated tires - but I would not know what to do if my tires are slashed.

Honest question here - aside from NOT driving in New York City (which I don't if I can help it), do you have any suggestions on steps that I can take to proactively protect my Jeep tires from being slashed (or something that I can use to temporary deal with the slashed tires until I can drive it to a location to get it fixed.) I know this might be a stupid thought/questions - but are there any equipment out there (aside from car alarm) that can somewhat deter tire slashing.

Thanks!
For 4th of July kicks, they canā€™t slash what they canā€™t cut.
Jeep Wrangler JL Any ideas to counter/prevent Jeep tires from being slashed? (non political) 0D0EF68C-C9A8-403E-87BD-D394D9DE8A3F

Sponsored

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
If you get a hood lock I'd go w/ the Bolt version, locks on the latches are pretty worthless. As far as a gas cap lock, that's a decent plan, mainly if someone were to try to put something in the tank rather than stealing gas as it's hard to do w/ the design of the inlet (AFAIK). Also be forewarned there are dipturds that are drilling the gas tank to steal gas, so another damn thing to deal with. At least our catalytic converters aren't simple to steal :)

I'm glad our JL is garaged every night, I sure wouldn't want it out every night like a sitting duck :(
Hey Brad, I have been looking into the Bolt lock for the longest time. I think I might just do that - specially on my new ride that is coming soon since I am planning to go cross country with it and might have to park at some questionable location (not if I can help it) Thank you for your recommendations.

And yes I have read on these crazy stuff that are drilling gas tank (unbelievable!) just to get gas. Shitty things that people do I guess.

Just like you - even though I live in a high rise and have limited allocated space in my garage, I have two doors so I can somewhat take my top down and discreetly wrap it with some black bed covering (which was an excellent recommendation from a few of the user here). When I am using my tubular door I can leave my doors behind the hard top without fear that anyone would steal it (there are cameras everywhere in the garage).

Had I live in New York City (used to live in Brownstone Brooklyn for the longest time) I highly doubt that I will get a Jeep with street parking (and difficulties in getting a spot - or alternate parking days) And just like you - I would certainly dont feel comfortable leaving a topless Jeep parked overnight there.

Thanks for your two cents (okay fine - thank you for your 2 dollars) šŸ˜€

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
This thread also delivers. Iā€™ve lived in a lot of states on both coasts and in the middle, OP has a lot of misconceptions. Leaving NY for TX was the best move of all time, it is not some dystopian nightmare whatever echo chamber youā€™re listening to is claiming it to be. You either have to accept what criminal activity is happening around you, help police it up/change it, or move.
Jeep Wrangler JL Any ideas to counter/prevent Jeep tires from being slashed? (non political) 1656886175184

ZigZag

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR (Hellayella)
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

I have multiple Bolt locks and I love them. I don't have one for my hood. But I did get the Mopar "make your own" locking gas cap. It uses the vehicle key and it replaces the factory cap. Works great. This is what I got. You have to key it yourself or get a locksmith/dealer to do it. It was a piece of cake. Q-tec has a video on how to do it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
This thread also delivers. Iā€™ve lived in a lot of states on both coasts and in the middle, OP has a lot of misconceptions. Leaving NY for TX was the best move of all time, it is not some dystopian nightmare whatever echo chamber youā€™re listening to is claiming it to be. You either have to accept what criminal activity is happening around you, help police it up/change it, or move.
1656886175184.jpeg
Well I am so glad that you are happy where you moved to. However, I hate to tell you that many of us here (thankfully) have their very own opinion and don't think like you do.

But matter the most to you is that you are happy. Texas is not for me just like I personally would not move to Cali, Oregon or WA. What you call my misconception could be the same as my conclusion about not wanting to move to Texas because I think that people in Texas can be super egotistical when it comes to subject matter that they disagree with. But what do I know anyway?

I spent my formation years growing up in Texas. However I would like to emphasize that I love Southern Hospitality and I was very lucky to have friends families that love me and took care of me. Thankfully many of the people that I know prioritize relationship over harsh criticism when someone disagrees with them. If I had to do it again, i would not change a thing about my experiences growing up down south.

As for that snarky Capt America meme - no you are wrong, I derived much information, learned a lot about awesome accessories that are available for my Jeep. But to post something like this shows me how arrogant and petty some people can be. Your meme was unnessary. You think you know me but you don't.

I asked for members advice about preventing my tires from potentially being slashed. I am not a Jeep expert and I am constantly amazed by some of the equipment and accessories that are available for Jeep. Maybe there some super gadget that allows Jeep to do everything. What I did not ask is some name calling and personal attack about my life. I am here to learn and I hope that I am able to contribute back to this community that helped me. Jeep people are one of a kind. They would altruistically help and freely share their stuff when they don't need it. Scores of people had give me freebies (ie Rugged Ridge side mirrors and few other things) without expecting anything in return and I can only hope that I am able to do the same.

There was a time on this forum when someone can easily get an answer to question asked but imo now amidst some good postings there are some nasty unwelcome harassment that one have to endure. I am just retaliating back in the way that I was treated. I will definitely think twice about posting new messages on this forum.

P.S: I still have the Rugged Ridge side mirrors and I don't need it anymore so if you are close to me and you need a side mirror feel free to message me.

Jeep Wrangler JL Any ideas to counter/prevent Jeep tires from being slashed? (non political) 1656890804301

Run away in fear and you'll just find it wherever you end up.
Wow!!! Just wow!!! Nasty!!

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
I have multiple Bolt locks and I love them. I don't have one for my hood. But I did get the Mopar "make your own" locking gas cap. It uses the vehicle key and it replaces the factory cap. Works great. This is what I got. You have to key it yourself or get a locksmith/dealer to do it. It was a piece of cake. Q-tec has a video on how to do it.
Whoa sir!!!! You just shared with me something that would really help me!!!! Thank you so much!! I did not know that exist. I am going to get it!!!! And the bolt lock for the hood as suggested by few of the member here!

And not a bad price for a MOPAR product. I am definitely calling part dept with my dealership! They give me good prices. Awesome!!! Much thanks

J_Winslow

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Honestly it's garbage... you know how long it takes a millennial or genz to deflate a tire??? Most don't know how and even if they know how to use a vale stem they don't kniw how to remove it and slashing a tire is harder than most think.

Stop worrying and live your life. That energy is better spent trying to move away from any area like that.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.