Sponsored

Any ideas to counter/prevent Jeep tires from being slashed? (non political)

Status
Not open for further replies.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
88D70CB8-C0A4-4ABB-90FA-0E4B72FF9845.jpeg

If it happens, it happens.

Best recommendation is to try to park in well lit areas, in line of sight of a nearby security camera, in a high traffic area. And even then, you’re hoping the police, property management, etc give a shit about your car. Hopefully Jeep copies Tesla’s idea, and adds a 360 24/7 security camera option. But until then, it’s what it is.

Also, I wouldn’t recommend the Greenpeace or any political bumper sticker. Who knows, you might piss off a lunatic on the other side of the spectrum.

That's ugly. Agree on stickers. No stickers, none. Don't give anyone any insight to who you are, none. Keeping your vehicle non-descript (no obvious modifications that make it stand out) makes it blend. When I traveled for work and had to park at LAX, I would let my newish vehicle set out for a couple weeks without washing it. When I had more than one, I'd take the older one. If it looks like I neglected it, I think others will neglect/miss it too. If it's not special to the owner, it's not special to a vandal. You can't hurt me by hurting my vehicle if I don't care about it.

But the video thing, I think it's pretty worthless. Just gives you pictures of the act that will piss you off. Cops aren't going to do anything with it, unless the vandal murdered someone in the video.
Sponsored

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
But the video thing, I think it's pretty worthless. Just gives you pictures of the act that will piss you off. Cops aren't going to do anything with it, unless the vandal murdered someone in the video.
Even then, unless they know the person in the video, chances are good that they will never find them.

To the OP, I think what a lot of the people who responded are trying to say is that while this could happen, it is a very rare occurrence and since there is no easy economical way to harden your Jeep against this, it is not something to get so worried about. Are there ways to prevent it from happening but most of them are a lot of expense or work to keep it from happening. It just doesn’t seem worthwhile to do more than park in secured areas if they are convenient to where you are going.

Just curious though, do you have a hood lock?

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Even then, unless they know the person in the video, chances are good that they will never find them.

To the OP, I think what a lot of the people who responded are trying to say is that while this could happen, it is a very rare occurrence and since there is no easy economical way to harden your Jeep against this, it is not something to get so worried about. Are there ways to prevent it from happening but most of them are a lot of expense or work to keep it from happening. It just doesn’t seem worthwhile to do more than park in secured areas if they are convenient to where you are going.

Just curious though, do you have a hood lock?
I totally agree with you. There has been some that recommended some tools - and I looked into it and it actually helped me in getting a new perspective on stuff that can help me if I got stuck or something. I am meticulously planning a trip across America and up to Alaska and then cut through Canada to get back to the East Coast - and the items that were recommended actually helps.

I agree with you that it is a rare occurrence. I had to drive my Jeep into the city a few times a week but driving in NYC has definitely changed from when I moved to NYC 20 years ago. I do park in the garage if I have to - and honestly I am not too worried about anything that would happen to my Jeep (in matter a fact I think I was the one who scratched my Jeep more than others) but since this forum is a place where I can get a lot of advice from experts, I thought that there might be magical solution to everything Jeep :)

I need to get a hood lock - and also lock for my gas cover. But I am careful when I drive with my top off - as there are a few places in NJ that I would have no problem parking my Jeep.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate you. Happy Fourth.

Reactions: RZ.

64Chevy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 JKUR, '64 C10 stepside,'13 911 C4S, '18 GT350
I haven't read of this happening, but to cover another possibility consider carrying a few valve cores and and valve core removal tool (both are light, cheap, etc). Stealing a valve core prevents you from just using a pump to re-inflate the tire, and if you are the perp it is faster than sitting there pressing on the plunger to let the air escape, and it isn't as potentially legally as risky as damaging the sidewall.

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I wouldn't worry about it too much, these things seem to work themselves out one way or another...Once a few of these climate loonies get tossed in jail or better yet, caught by a fed-up owner and beaten within an inch of their life or worse...That will take the wind (pun intended) out of their sails...
Worse case: You have insurance and get new tires!

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I'm confused. Isn't slashing tires requiring the owner to purchase new tires, making it worst for the environment because you're throwing out rubber and buying more?? Sometimes I wonder...

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I totally agree with you. There has been some that recommended some tools - and I looked into it and it actually helped me in getting a new perspective on stuff that can help me if I got stuck or something. I am meticulously planning a trip across America and up to Alaska and then cut through Canada to get back to the East Coast - and the items that were recommended actually helps.

I agree with you that it is a rare occurrence. I had to drive my Jeep into the city a few times a week but driving in NYC has definitely changed from when I moved to NYC 20 years ago. I do park in the garage if I have to - and honestly I am not too worried about anything that would happen to my Jeep (in matter a fact I think I was the one who scratched my Jeep more than others) but since this forum is a place where I can get a lot of advice from experts, I thought that there might be magical solution to everything Jeep :)

I need to get a hood lock - and also lock for my gas cover. But I am careful when I drive with my top off - as there are a few places in NJ that I would have no problem parking my Jeep.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate you. Happy Fourth.
If you get a hood lock I'd go w/ the Bolt version, locks on the latches are pretty worthless. As far as a gas cap lock, that's a decent plan, mainly if someone were to try to put something in the tank rather than stealing gas as it's hard to do w/ the design of the inlet (AFAIK). Also be forewarned there are dipturds that are drilling the gas tank to steal gas, so another damn thing to deal with. At least our catalytic converters aren't simple to steal :)

I'm glad our JL is garaged every night, I sure wouldn't want it out every night like a sitting duck :(

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I haven't read of this happening, but to cover another possibility consider carrying a few valve cores and and valve core removal tool (both are light, cheap, etc). Stealing a valve core prevents you from just using a pump to re-inflate the tire, and if you are the perp it is faster than sitting there pressing on the plunger to let the air escape, and it isn't as potentially legally as risky as damaging the sidewall.
Along those lines of thought, I carry a little cigarette socket powered compressor and a plug kit in my cubby. It'll get you rolling if it's a nail/screw hole.

Sponsored

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Well, if you are that worried. Just get those tires foam filled. Never have to worry about nails, spikes, knives or what ever.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
OP where the hell do you live or who are you pissing off that you are getting your tires slashed?

Status
Not open for further replies.