Sponsored

Any idea what this mystery red fabric thingy I found under my engine cover is?

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
Did the first oil change today on the Willys. When I went to pour the new oil in, I noticed this thingy tucked down under the plastic engine cover right next to the oil fill port. It was just kinda laying down in there and not actually secured on anything. Seems like something from when the Jeep was manufactured or something like that that would protect some wire or tube or something and then be discarded at a certain step on the assembly line, if I had to guess.

Jeep Wrangler JL Any idea what this mystery red fabric thingy I found under my engine cover is? 20230320_144239
Sponsored

Sponsored

Ten North Prez

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR, Toyota 4th Gen V8 4 Runner

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
My Jeep had two body clips and three bolts under the carpeting. Yet it was missing some of the parking brake hardware. I guess it all evens out. Maybe look under your carpeting and see if they left you a few other surprises.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
My dad was a service manager at a Porsche Audi dealer. One day an Audi 100LS came in where on every right turn, the alternator light would come on. This was a vehicle still under warranty. After going through the whole wiring harness they took the alternater off. My dad decided to remove the voltage regulator and look inside because it was a strange case. Plus, the alternator was on backorder and was going to take a few days to get. Upon removing the regulator, he found a German beer bottle cap inside. Thus removed it and the mechanic reinstalled the alternator. Problem fixed. Plus, Audi actually paid that warranty claim.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
You are unlucky as the worker dropped his little red bag, not the green one.
Sponsored