Sponsored

Any high mileage 6 speed manual JL's out there?

MuddyWater415

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I have just over 1000 miles on my new JLU 6 speed, and (in an effort to make myself feel better about my decision to go with the 6 speed manual transmission) I was wandering if there are any high mileage 6 speed manual JLU owners out there who like like to chime in with their mileage (and if those miles were trouble free or not). From what I can tell, looks like the 6 speed manual transmissions currently in the JLs is the Aisin D478 (from 2018 to current 2021).

Back in the day, manuals transmissions were considered more "reliable and trouble free" compared to automatics. However, I have seen numerous threads about JL 6 speed manual issues (particularly clutch issues), so I am concerned about the long term reliability/longevity of these manual transmissions.

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
21k on my 2018 JLUS 6-speed. No issues on the operation of the trans. Very happy with my purchase.

Last edited:

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Did you have the recall completed ?

Issue thus far - less than thousand miles - hydraulic issues - clutch master leaking. I do'nt like the feel of this clutch......seems to light......and it is hard to feather.

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
On my 2018 first recall done for the sleeve around hose(?), contemplating on doing the Y07 Firmware update.

Joe's_Roxy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Quality Manager
67k on my 18 JL Rubicon. Had it tested to make sure the clutch wasn't slipping a year or so ago then had the recall done where they flashed the system to detune the motor if clutch temp gets too hot. I haven't seen an issue with this change.

Sponsored

19JTRubiconEcoDiesel

First Name
JoLHY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.8JKUX6MHD, 3.6JLUR6MPT, Deciding/waiting on Sarge JTRD or JTR4xe
I have a 2019 JLUR with 28K miles. The clutch went at around 2600 miles and less then 3 months of ownership. Had it towed to my dealer. They did the following
Replaced Manual Transmission P#:5106257-AD
Replaced Flywheel P#:68273846-AB
Replaced Clutch Assembly P#:68273845-AB

It has been trouble-free ever since. Y07 recall has also been performed.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely not "high mileage", but 26K on mine to-date. I've had both clutch recalls done. 3.5 years of trouble-free driving in this Jeep!

jvasquez8

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535
2018 Sahara. 3 1/2 years of 33K mostly hard teenager miles. She learned to drive stick on the car. Had the differential replaced under warranty (premature part failure) at 30K miles. All recalls done. Else totally trouble free.

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
2019 JL Sport and just hit 30k miles on it. Had to take it to the dealer once for a clutch recall but they found mine to have no issues and not need replacing.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Back in the day, manuals transmissions were considered more "reliable and trouble free" compared to automatics.
The issue on relatively reliability of auto vs manual is that manufacturers provide powertrain warranty (typically 5 years/60K miles, sometimes more) on the entire auto transmission. So they design the entire system to be maintenance free to at least that - typically they are maintenance free for 100K or more.

On the manual, the clutch assembly is a "wear item". Depending on how you drive (e.g. in traffic and with spirited take-offs and winding the RPMs to redline), your clutch may not not last long, and you will be stuck with a ˜$1,200 (parts/labor) bill to replace. Sometimes you see people with manual transmission offroad (incorrectly) slipping the clutch constantly to the point that a single obstacle causes it to start to smell/smoke.

The manual transmission itself, barring driver abuse/error, should last long.

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
The transmission itself is very strong….however, the clutch is crap. The best thing to do on the 6spds is get a throttle controller to have better throtte pedal response for clutch engagement/take off. The delay in throttle pedal almost always requires me to rev the engine first then feather the clutch out as the revs fall. Other than that, driving a manual is alot of fun.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Is it true that the input shaft is actually a " stub shaft" that does NOT reach the flywheel, go into a pilot bushing in the flywheel ? If so, this is a big departure from what Jeep has always used, and might affect longevity

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The transmission itself is very strong….however, the clutch is crap. The best thing to do on the 6spds is get a throttle controller to have better throtte pedal response for clutch engagement/take off. The delay in throttle pedal almost always requires me to rev the engine first then feather the clutch out as the revs fall. Other than that, driving a manual is alot of fun.

Yes, it is too bad that Jeep invested nothing in making the 6-speed manual better in the JL. They didn't even bother to tune for drive-ability, or at least work on clutch engagement and shift lever feel. I drove a manual to try it out and was appalled (other car is a 2018 Camaro SS 1LE which has a wonderful clutch/shifter).

Contrast that to the leap in capability in the automatic. Going from 4-speed to the 5-speed Mercedes transmission in 2012 and then the 8-speed ZF wonderbox in 2018. Sadly Jeep is only investing R&D on the automatics.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Have to agree, the manual clutch feel and engagement, shift points a huge disappointment on the JL. My JK was far superior. But, I tried out the 2.0 E Torque, and am still smiling..
Sponsored