Sponsored

Any high mileage 6 speed manual JL's out there?

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
56k on mine. some light wheeling mostly on road driving. Finally getting used to the clutch engagement lol. Had mine tested supposedly it passed, i get the "slip"or surge feel that others have complained about but no one can seem to pinpoint or fix. I like mine, ive always had a manual, but i do wish the clutch had better feel. the trans and shifter are fantastic in my opinion.
Sponsored

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I sold my jeep at 50,000 miles. The 6 speed was flawless except for the rev hang But after I brought it in for the clutch recall and software recall, one of the two almost eliminated the rev hang, I'm assuming it was the software update. Purchasing another jeep wrangler manual!

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2014 Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
I am at 36k with my JLUR…no issues, I love it.

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
Due to covid I am now working from home 100% of the time so have not been putting much miles on. Just under 20k on my 2020 JLUR bought in summer of 2019, and have had no issues. I have done some light to moderate wheeling with it.

All the recalls have been done. I have gotten used to the clutch though the rev hang is annoying. I haven't noticed it decreased since the software updates as someone else mentioned.

No regrets from me on the manual trans so far.

Deleted member 59498

2020 Rubi Manual. No problems but only about 5000 miles. But still all these people saying they never get to 6th gear.... I call BS. 6M is awesome. Although in reverse is too high, I will not complain about 1st giving whiplash because it should be low for the rock crawler guys.

I cruise in 6th easy, 60 to 80

No recalls done yet.

Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
69,000 on mine. It’s a 2020 — purchased in Dec of ‘19 so almost hitting the 2 year mark now. Right around 30,000ish ( if I remember correctly) had the master cylinder go out and dealership replaced that. Everything’s been great since. Just this past weekend I finally did the TSB update for the recall software update. (Only b/c my brother was recalibrating my wheels and saw that flash across so he just did all my updates. Funny enough—-there were 6 other ones that showed needing to be done but I haven’t gotten any alerts on them from Jeep.).
I have definitely wheeled off road quite a bit and put that clutch through the ringer at times.

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it is too bad that Jeep invested nothing in making the 6-speed manual better in the JL. They didn't even bother to tune for drive-ability, or at least work on clutch engagement and shift lever feel. I drove a manual to try it out and was appalled (other car is a 2018 Camaro SS 1LE which has a wonderful clutch/shifter).

Contrast that to the leap in capability in the automatic. Going from 4-speed to the 5-speed Mercedes transmission in 2012 and then the 8-speed ZF wonderbox in 2018. Sadly Jeep is only investing R&D on the automatics.
If the manual only accounts for 5% or less of the total revenue, why would they spend extra money on R&D? It is all driven by the sales number and market demand. It is sad but it is the reality.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

23K-ish miles. and 3 years of owner ship. havent had anything go wrong with my 6Spd. did the first recall, havent done the software bs recall. but besides that ive done plenty of wheeling in my jeep without any issues with the transmission. Its a great change in pace to my work truck that i daily drive. ( company owned ) so the jeep sees more long trips than anything else. I still love my choice going with the manual just wish the clutch had a little more feel to it. Half the time its so soft i cant tell if i am just rev matching or actually using the clutch.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
But still all these people saying they never get to 6th gear.... I call BS.
Not BS. I notice you have a Rubicon. The 4.10 gears on a Rubicon make a world of difference with this thing. Stock, my Willys with 3.45 gears could barely use 6th. It's all better now that I have 4.56 gears.

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
42K miles on my '18 JLUR. No issues, went through both recalls, added the protective sleeve for one and the software update for the other. Still get some minor rev hang but overall I love it. It did take a year to get used to the shift points and find a sweet spot for shifting (the 3.6 and manual for me at least loves higher rpms when shifting). Oddly, when I went to 315s for tires this summer, the shifting seemed to smooth out a bit.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If the manual only accounts for 5% or less of the total revenue, why would they spend extra money on R&D? It is all driven by the sales number and market demand. It is sad but it is the reality.
True, but contrast that with Ford. They invested in an innovative 7 speed manual (now available on the Sasquatch), with a crawler gear. I have not driven it, but reports say it is decent shifter feel and clutch engagement.

So that my increase the manual take rate (available with a 300HP/330ftlbs engine, and 35" tires with lockers from the factory).

Jeep limits the manual to a single 260 ftlbs engine choice and max 33" tires. And it is 10+ years old.

I get it that manual will be a minority, but so is things like Diesel and 392. Manufacturers do it because those buyers are excited brand advocates.

Like Porsche would sell many fewer SUVs if they didn't have a manual transmission 911/Cayman.

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
23.5k on my 19JLR. Recalls done with no issues. Clutch is a little lighter than I prefer, but not too bad. No regrets.

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
True, but contrast that with Ford. They invested in an innovative 7 speed manual (now available on the Sasquatch), with a crawler gear. I have not driven it, but reports say it is decent shifter feel and clutch engagement.

So that my increase the manual take rate (available with a 300HP/330ftlbs engine, and 35" tires with lockers from the factory).

Jeep limits the manual to a single 260 ftlbs engine choice and max 33" tires. And it is 10+ years old.

I get it that manual will be a minority, but so is things like Diesel and 392. Manufacturers do it because those buyers are excited brand advocates.

Like Porsche would sell many fewer SUVs if they didn't have a manual transmission 911/Cayman.
I get what you saying and agree with you.

Is it because the manual tran isn't selling so manufacturers don't want to spend money to make it better? Or, because manufacturers don't spend money to make it better so people stop buying? It could go both ways. The reality is that it is a dying breed when an automatic could go faster and have better fuel economy. Nowadays, people buy manual because they want manual. I, personally, have never driven an automatic JL. I dont care how good the new auto tran is compared to manual.

I love the fact Ford offers a 7-speed gearbox with a crawl gear, but it is nothing innovative about it. Trucks in the 60s and 70s had it.

Last edited:

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I get what you saying and agree with you.

Is it because the manual tran isn't selling so manufacturers don't want to spend money to make it better? Or, because manufacturers don't spend money to make it better so people stop buying? It could go both ways. The reality is that it is a dying breed when an automotive could go faster and have better fuel economy. Nowadays, people buy manual because they want manual. I, personally, have never driven an automative JL. I dont care how good the new auto tran is compared to manual.

I love the fact Ford offers a 7-speed gearbox with a crawl gear, but it is nothing innovative about it. Trucks in the 60s and 70s had it.
Yes, agree. It's both ways. Better manuals can reinforce people who want them anyway to get them.

Disagree on the Bronco manual not being innovative. A 7-speed with a crawler gear has not been done before. It has the greatest shift gear spread of any manual, ever.